collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 328 - 329 True Spike Question  (Read 6233 times)

Offline camanofishn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
328 - 329 True Spike Question
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »
Just asking, any ideas how long the game department will keep the true spike law on the books?  Rumor is that this is the last year for the "true spike", not sure how true the rumor is.  I find it hard to identify a true spike when they are running.

Wondering how many Elk are killed that are not legal? It's a shame to waste any Elk.

From all of the hunting camps I saw during the general season the state continues to sell many tags.  I suspect that they will not change the law true spike law until the Elk tag sales decline. 

Your thoughts?

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
Re: 328 - 329 True Spike Question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
Biggest crock of crap rule ever put on us hunters. Hopefully they dump the rule soon.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
 But tell if this was not the best year in a long time for seeing multiple branched bulls in the herds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline Bullmoose

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 01:20:09 PM »
It has been nice seeing Cows and calves and large bulls

Offline JJJ

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »
I was on the Colockum road Sat. 11/4.... Three game warden pickups were driving out with a large bull in the 2nd truck. I couldn't tell how large, but could see his last two points sticking out of the bed of the pickup.-- They were both at least 10" long.... On the same day, I talked with another game warden on the Naneum ridge road, and he said they were investigating TEN different cases involving illegal bull kills; mainly 1x2's--- The true spike rule needs to go away; it seems like people are not identifying the elk properly, and hoping that its a true spike on the other antler, or...???...-- Regardless, there's 10 bulls that WE KNOW OF killed.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
The spike rule is frustrating enough, and the true spike is just a little over the top. In a perfect world, it would be ok for a certain time frame if they truly felt it would improve herd health. The problem is, like stated, how many "hunters" out there shoot first and verify second. The elk that go to waste far outweighs the perceived benefits.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
We talked to a guy who had the time to count 158 head of elk 2 spikes only 1 true spike in the herd, on the south end of Colockum. 1/158 is not good odds. 

Offline BreezyBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • RMEF Life Member
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »
The Colockum is definitely in need of a new elk management plan........but time2hunt is absolutely correct, plenty of big bulls around this year!

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
I was in 328, saw a group of 50 at 40 yards, one 3-point and 49 cows.  Saw a group of 30 not in shooting range, two 3-points and 28 cows.  I only heard of ONE true spike being shot.

I continue to feel that hunting the 328 with true spike in place and no cow tag SUCKS.

Face it, anything "general" sucks anymore. :(

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
I've never been able to figure out the logic in the spike-only rule, except to simply reduce total harvest.  I don't really know the right answer though.

I can't accept the idea that since people don't follow the rules, we should dump the rules.  That seems nuts to me.  If we may it 3pt or better, we'll be telling stories of people shooting spikes.  If we make it any bull, I imagine we'll see a big drop in herd numbers. 

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »
So the solution to a few people shooting 1x2's and getting ticketed or letting them waste is to open it up to everyone to shoot 1x2's?  With that logic we should open up hunting year round because the poachers are doing it.

I will say with the true spike rule in place I am seeing way more mature bulls in my area.

For my early archery bull hunt I was working a heard of 100 cows and 13 5pt or better bulls.  On the last day of the hunt I was in a herd of 200 elk and I counted 29 6x6 bulls go over the ridge.

When I was out the second weekend of muzzy season with my daughter we kept bumping solo bulls, they had left the cows already by the second weekend.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
I talked to a Sergeant in the wind farm, brought up how long true spike will continue. Heck of a nice guy weve seen our fair share of Sergeants up there over the years. He explained that its up to the biologist that fly around and do their counts and if they dont see what they want they keep true spike and decide whether or not to give archer's free reign on cows or give out cow permits to the rifle hunters. Where we were camped for the season, we saw no sign of elk sat-tues. Wed and thurs we were into 200+ both days in our area i was close quarters pursuing a herd of 100+ that had a few small branched bulls and atleast 1 true spike which i sucessfully harvested after 16yrs of hunting my area hard and learning the area and where the elk tend to be. Its a tough area to hunt ive had a lot of years of discouraging years. The constant hunting pressure from September 1st till modern opener is pretty rough on the elk herd, they get no break. I personally saw 6 true spikes including mine that were hanging from meat poles over 7 days straight up there. Then only a couple of cows when we left Friday at noon. I gave up hoping it'll change from True Spike years ago.  It is what it is but its the biologist that decide what we get to hunt

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
According to wdfw officers ive talked with, true spikes aren't breeder bulls. They say the branched bulls are more likely to try to breed than the baby true spikes.  :dunno: makes sense to me. Either way if we conserve the bulls they will be killed by the natives no matter what because their ancestors killed them many moons ago up there. Lets manage the herd by allowing the natives to only harvest cows and our bull to cow ratio will be golden in a few years
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:08:30 PM by GreggHunts2hard4u »

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
Tagging
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
328 - 329 True Spike Question
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »
Is the true spike is working perfectly the answer is no. But look at the bright side that unit went from 3-5 big bull tags a year to 21-23 tags a year so the system is working on getting the carry over they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal