collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 328 - 329 True Spike Question  (Read 6220 times)

Offline Wahoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: 328 - 329 True Spike Question
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
This post is not meant to start the user group against user group argument but just a thought to make the true spike rule a little more agreeable to the modern and muzzy user groups if they are going to keep the rule in effect.

What if they take the true spike opportunity away from the archery user group since they are allowed to harvest cows during their general seasons? This might be a way to increase the chances for modern and muzzy users who are not allowed to harvest cows without a special permit by not reducing the number of true spikes in the woods before their general seasons open.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »
This post is not meant to start the user group against user group argument but just a thought to make the true spike rule a little more agreeable to the modern and muzzy user groups if they are going to keep the rule in effect.

What if they take the true spike opportunity away from the archery user group since they are allowed to harvest cows during their general seasons? This might be a way to increase the chances for modern and muzzy users who are not allowed to harvest cows without a special permit by not reducing the number of true spikes in the woods before their general seasons open.
I think the thread is a good one with good points being made on each side.  I think with the open dialogue it allows people from each side of the discussion see other side.  From that ideas get generated like yours above and having archers only shoot cows and take spikes off the table for them.

I can say that personally my friends and family all in advance of the season take spikes off the table during archery and any season that one of them has a cow tag.  With the option for a cow and a higher percentage chance of seeing/taking one we just pass on the spikes leaving that very slim opportunity for a hunter that doesn't have the cow option.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
One reason I can get behind the true spike only rule is the tradition of hunting this area.  It is a real deal for a bunch of hunters and I would hate to see the area go to permit only and have those long time hunters displaced because they didn't draw a permit.

The reason I understand is we have a family tradition of hunting a certain late season archery deer unit.  Our family has hunted the same area since 1977.  When there is talk of closing it down we lobby for them to keep it open. In one of my statements to the commission I asked that if they had to leave the season open to 4x4 , three legged deer with only one eye but at least leave it open so we can go on the annual trip and walk around with our bows.  :chuckle:  It was an exageration of the true spike rule but similar in the fact that it is ludicrous but would keep a general season for those that are willing to abide by those rules.

For those that can't stand the true spike rule there are other units not far away that allow the taking of 1x2's and 1x3's.  If you want to hunt 328 you just have to deal with a little more restriction but at least you can still hunt it with a general tag.

And finding a true spike is still easier than finding 4x4 three legged blind in one eye buck that I had proposed for another GMU.  :chuckle:

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
One reason I can get behind the true spike only rule is the tradition of hunting this area.  It is a real deal for a bunch of hunters and I would hate to see the area go to permit only and have those long time hunters displaced because they didn't draw a permit.

The reason I understand is we have a family tradition of hunting a certain late season archery deer unit.  Our family has hunted the same area since 1977.  When there is talk of closing it down we lobby for them to keep it open. In one of my statements to the commission I asked that if they had to leave the season open to 4x4 , three legged deer with only one eye but at least leave it open so we can go on the annual trip and walk around with our bows.  :chuckle:  It was an exageration of the true spike rule but similar in the fact that it is ludicrous but would keep a general season for those that are willing to abide by those rules.

For those that can't stand the true spike rule there are other units not far away that allow the taking of 1x2's and 1x3's.  If you want to hunt 328 you just have to deal with a little more restriction but at least you can still hunt it with a general tag.

And finding a true spike is still easier than finding 4x4 three legged blind in one eye buck that I had proposed for another GMU.  :chuckle:

Well said, my father has hunted 328/329 for 49 years and his father for longer until he passed and ive put in 16yrs but have spent time up there for 25yrs with my father. I get a thrill chasing elk in hopes there is a true spike in the bunch, if a dumb true spike presents me with an opportunity to harvest it i will. Ive passed on countless spikes that were borderline and just wasnt 100% sure over the years and was fortunate enough to beat the odds on the 6th day of this modern rifle season. Now i was lucky enough to draw a Malaga bull permit in 2004 and harvested a nice wall hanger and to be honest i get more of a thrill out if hunting true spikes. Its the ultimate hunt for me it tests my sportmanship skills by knowing the rules and being 100% sure of my target before pulking the trigger. Yeah it can be super frustrating and discouraging knowing you can only harvest true spikes but if you cant manage to put in the time year after year, get to know the land, get familiar with the elk patterns and their exit routes then itll never pay off. Like i said ive spent the last 16yrs learning my areas and making rookie mistakes and letting the elk get ahead of me. My dad has spent 49 seasons during modern rifke elk and harvested over 30 elk in his time up there between cow tags bull tags and general rifle seasons he isnt lucky he just knows the elk and their routes and has put in his time since he harvested his first elk at the age of 12 up there. Haters gone hate but im behind the true spike rule until the bull to cow ratio is healthy enough to sustain atleast 3-5yrs of we will say 3pt min as an example. They give and take away cows for the archers general season give out a ton or a few cow permits fir the rifle guys, it all depends on what the biologists see on their fly overs. The herd population used to be WAY down to where they only gave out a handfull if bull permits, now its over 20 so i like to think true spike is working. My  :twocents:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:52:12 AM by GreggHunts2hard4u »

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »
A spotting scope and patience would eliminate some of the illegal kills that are left to rot.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »
I would like to know how many true spikes make it through because of hanging velvet?  I know my daughter got one that had velvet still hanging at the top that I had to make darn sure was a true spike. We almost passed because of that left antler.

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
I had atleast 3 encounters with 2x2's this past modern rifle season that when they stared at you head on looked like true spikes. They all branched straight back and you wouldnt know until they turned their head to bust out that they were branched bulls. Its a scary moment to make a split second decision and a well placed shot(hopefully not into a herd). Like Rainier10 said, there are lots of GMU's near by that allow the harvest of 1x2's and such. If ya cant hack it and be patient then dont hunt true spikes. No doubt about it its challenging and can be discouraging but patience pays in gmus 328/329. Its not about the harvest it's about the experience and the knowledge you bring back every year thatll help you succeed in these gmu's. Keep putting in for branched bull tags and cow permits someday your number will get drawn and until then either deal with true spikes or go somewhere else. I hunt with some die hards that come from a LONG ways away to pursue true spikes and they enjoy it as much as my father and I. Plus the true spike are tender eatin :chuckle:

Offline doubletall

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »
It blows my mind that there are people out there that shoot first and ID later.  I hunt blacktails in a 3 point gmu and had to pass on 2 different easy shots on 3x2's because they turned to stare me and at least side was lined up such that you could only see the main beam.  One stood and stared for at least a minute without moving a muscle until he bolted and I saw the profile right before he went behind a tree.

Offline doyourtime89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »
I had atleast 3 encounters with 2x2's this past modern rifle season that when they stared at you head on looked like true spikes. They all branched straight back and you wouldnt know until they turned their head to bust out that they were branched bulls. Its a scary moment to make a split second decision and a well placed shot(hopefully not into a herd). Like Rainier10 said, there are lots of GMU's near by that allow the harvest of 1x2's and such. If ya cant hack it and be patient then dont hunt true spikes. No doubt about it its challenging and can be discouraging but patience pays in gmus 328/329. Its not about the harvest it's about the experience and the knowledge you bring back every year thatll help you succeed in these gmu's. Keep putting in for branched bull tags and cow permits someday your number will get drawn and until then either deal with true spikes or go somewhere else. I hunt with some die hards that come from a LONG ways away to pursue true spikes and they enjoy it as much as my father and I. Plus the true spike are tender eatin :chuckle:

Great theory and you are 100% correct.  You need to make for sure it is a true spike and that all fine and good to talk that on this site because I think most people on this site are like that and hunt the right way.  Like in my past post while we were there this year we really had to look over a couple spikes to make sure the one my friend shot was a true spike and it was like the picutre above.  It had some dried up velvet on one side up near the top that made us take some extra time to make sure.  But the real truth is there aren't a lot of people out there doing what we are saying should be done.  Most are doing like what the last post said.  They are shooting first and ID'ing later.  So my point is...the 1x2's, 1x3's and such aren't living on to breed and become bigger bulls like we would all like them to do.  The reality is they are being shot and left to waste.  Its a numbers game, the goal of the true spike rule is to get more bulls to survie the hunting season and become bigger and better breeds.  The ture is, not that many of the 1x2's, 1x3's and such are making it through the season.  So its not working.

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 03:19:49 PM »
I think more branched bulls make it through than we think. There are simply too many hunters and wildlife enforcement officers up there now a days to try to get away with anything in my opinion. Every shot i hear flocks curious hunters to the location, you can barely drop your pants and take a dump without seeing orange up there. I looked at game regs from 2007 till present and here is the Modern Rifle Bull Permit numbers:
2007 - 328/329 - 9 rifle branched bull tags
2008 - 328/329 - 3 rifle branced bull tags
*true spike implemented for 2009 season*
2009 - 328/329 - 5 rifle + 1 rut rifle
2010 - 328/329 -  2 rifle + 1 rut rifle
2011 - 328/329 -  2 rifle + 1 rut rifle
2012 - 328/329/335 - 5 rifle + 1 rut rifle
2013 - 328/329/335 - 1 rifle + 1 rut rifle
2014 - 328/329/335 - 6 rifle + 1 rut rifle
2015 - 328/329/335 - 6 rifle + 1 rut rifle
2016 - 328/329 - 23 rifle + 1 rut rifle
2017 - 328/329 - 22 rifle + 1 rut rifle

The herd was hurtung for bulls when then implemented true spike we know this, the numbers for rifle bull permits has been low but 2016 & 2017 were over 20 permits which makes me think 2009-2015 they were harsh on our allowed bull permits to increase the bull population and now currently the permits are at an all time high since true spike was implemented....which makes me believe it is working. There will always be trigger happy hunters killing illegal bulls but the amount of illegal kills, from what ive seen, has declined drastically with the amount of eyes in the woods and fish and wildlife officers patroling the area. Keep true spike until we can sustain a heathy bull to cow ratio and consistantly have the opportunity to apply for 20+ branched bull tags. Things can change for the worse in the next few years with the wolves now in the area and we have no control over that.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]