collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunterofwa's deer season-stay tuned  (Read 7802 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Hunterofwa's deer season-stay tuned
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 10:33:24 PM »
Might be a good time to try some Doe in Heat urine scent upwind of where you think the bucks cruise to scent check for does.  They should still be out looking for the ever diminishing supply of does coming into estrus.   Good luck.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 06:44:53 AM »
I have a half day of school today and a basketball practice, so it may be a while before I get out. Luckily we're playing poker in my AP Statistics class so that eases the pain  :tup:
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline GOING2HUNT

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 07:03:44 AM »
Good luck! Hope to see pics

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »
So I didn't see any deer this morning. I am going to order some doe-p and see if I can put a wick high up in the stand and down on the ground as well. We'll see if it pulls some of the bucks back for a while.

I am thinking that I will try to squeeze in a few late afternoon hunts after school next week as the weather report for-casts a break in the weather. I'll also try to catch my hunts on film.
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »
Jeremy, you live close by, so take advantage of your situation.  Hunt frequently, but feel free to pull the plug after a while if you don't see activity.  As you said, you are not getting a lot of traffic mid-day, so you will just have to get lucky.  Good luck to you!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
UPDATE #2
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 05:31:49 PM »
So today I was able to do something a little different. I was able to tag along with two of my brothers who wanted to go Grouse hunting up by spotted deer mountain. We split up and I hunted down in some creek bottoms in hopes that the deer would be tucked up in the thick stuff. As is to be expected, a lot of sign but no sightings.

I would like to know this spot better in the next few years, but I have to say it will take a lot of work to get a deer out of there with a bow. So for now, I am going to be concentrating my hunting efforts on the tract of land next to home.

Fun day out side though. Sorta funny but at the same time not: My brothers saw some deer while I was the one who bumped a grouse.
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 12:04:48 AM »
Keep at it.  It will happen.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
Keep at it.  It will happen.

I can attest to this.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaand?

C'mon, Man.  What's happening down there in Almost-PDX-Land?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 09:03:46 PM »
Finally managed to get out this afternoon. Didn't see a deer but I pulled the card to see what's been coming. After a week of doe estrous scent the bucks didn't show up on cam again, which is what I thought would happen but at least I tried.

Anyways these deer are driving me crazy... they're so unpredictable. I'll see if I can get out again tomorrow afternoon as well just for grins.

The pic is the doe I'd like to take, seems mature to me.

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 11:20:34 PM »
Late archery post rut is tough for bucks. Definitely takes more time sitting but when it happens it can happen fast. The few times I've seen rut activity in late Archery were between first and second week of December. You won't see the volume of bucks like during the pre ritnor main rut so you have to sit more often but the rut activity can be really good in short spurts in isolated spots.

I've had the best luck Late Archery immediately following a rain or snow storm.

Best of luck. Keep us posted on how you do.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 05:42:08 AM »
That's the way it is with most deer.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Soooo... an update on the evening's hunt.

I headed out to the stand around 3:15pm and started hunting at about 3:50. There was a strong crosswind that was decent but on the edge of my comfort zone. Anyhow, I was confident that this would be the day.

As time went on, I spotted a rabbit at 25 yards and took a shot at it just missing it by a hair. That cost me an arrow and made me a wee bit frustrated.

Skipping ahead. At 4:30ish I was pretty bumbed and stupidly decided to pack up my gear. After I finished blundering around I uncapped my p-bottle to relieve myself. As I was about to do so, I looked around behind me and 50 yards out 3 does are staring me in the face. The bottle slipped out of my hand and spilled all down the stand. In the excitement I had been busted by the deer and they stared me down till the end of shooting light and worked their way back up the ridge. All the while I was shaking so bad it probably made the tree shake.

Overall, I am pretty annoyed by this hunt but I am sure I'll laugh at it someday. As far as my next hunt goes I think this stand is blown for a week or so. I'll try to look for a storm soon or hold out till Christmas break. These does are huge so I want to play it safe and make sure I connect in the near future.

Thanks for reading!

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »
I think you meant: "As time went on, I spotted a rabbit at 25 yards and took a shot at it just missing it by a hare" .  Never pass up a chance to throw in a bad pun.  ;)

Hang in there - the action always starts when your trousers are around your knees.  Just expect it, then you're not surprised when it works out that way.   Consider this a chance to check out some other areas while your spot cools off.

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
Soooo... Let me start out by saying the season was a flop for me.

I never did let an arrow fly, but I still have to admit that I did have a few opportunities. At one point right before shooting light I had the big doe I was after walk below my stand so close I could smell her! But she ended up working off the area before it was light enough for a shot.

On several other occasions I would be approaching my stand and of all the times I was being just a wee bit careless, there would be a deer somewhere nearby that spooked off. What is frustrating is that in most of these scenarios If I had been more careful, I might have been successful.

Anyhow, no need complaining about it. I hunted hard, but some years it just doesn't go as planned. That's hunting though. And honestly I don't care that much this year, the deer were smarter so I have to hand to em.

I can say this though, I definitely want to focus more attention elsewhere for next season.

Well thanks to everyone who read this and I hope you have a Happy New Year!!

YT | @pnw_offgrid

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter