collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the heaviest you would go with a hunting rifle?  (Read 4011 times)

Offline GlockGuy56

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
What is the heaviest you would go with a hunting rifle?
« on: November 09, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
Looking to get my first big game hunting rifle this winter. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a .308 but was wondering at what point would a rifle be to heavy to carry around hunting. I could build one on a lss lightweight chassis with a howa 1500 barrel and be right around 10 pounds.

I think with a lot more classic sporting rifle I could get down to 7-8 pounds. What are your thoughts?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: What is the heaviest you would go with a hunting rifle?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
It seems like you're building a long range-ish rifle, why .308? With other cartridges that perform a lot better, just can't help but wonder.
I can tell you that hiking more than a couple miles sort of sucks with a ~13 pound rifle. My other rifle that is 9 pounds is a great hiking rifle. Just depends what you want to do with it...the right tool for the application.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline GlockGuy56

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
It seems like you're building a long range-ish rifle, why .308? With other cartridges that perform a lot better, just can't help but wonder.
I can tell you that hiking more than a couple miles sort of sucks with a ~13 pound rifle. My other rifle that is 9 pounds is a great hiking rifle. Just depends what you want to do with it...the right tool for the application.

Yeah, I'm thinking 400 yards max for comfortably shooting at big game but would be shooting steel 500 or farther if I can find somewhere to do it. I was thinking .308 just because it seemed like it would be a good caliber to offer me a lot of factory load and has a good amount of energy out to 450 to take down an elk.

What calibers would you suggest?

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
Lots of cartridges have enough energy and velocity for elk at 450 yards.  Lots of good factory ammo too.  Is recoil a concern?  That would whittle down the choices.  I would look at and compare ballistics and take a look at what factory ammo is offered in high BC bullets.  The more efficient the bullet, the less powder it will comparatively need to get the job done - and if that results in a short action, that will save you rifle weight.

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
I had the choice between a Ruger M77 in 338 WinMag, Remington 700 SPS Stainless steel in 300 WinMag, Savage 10 Scout in 308. I took the 300 Win Mag for elk when I was in open country and the 308 into the timber and close to ready in the truck. The 338 stayed at camp because of the weight.

I took a elk with the 308 last year.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »
Idaho has a 16 lb max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline GlockGuy56

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 04:34:10 PM »
Lots of cartridges have enough energy and velocity for elk at 450 yards.  Lots of good factory ammo too.  Is recoil a concern?  That would whittle down the choices.  I would look at and compare ballistics and take a look at what factory ammo is offered in high BC bullets.  The more efficient the bullet, the less powder it will comparatively need to get the job done - and if that results in a short action, that will save you rifle weight.

Yeah recoil is something I am considering. 30-06 is about the threshold, recoil wise, I would go.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »

Yeah recoil is something I am considering. 30-06 is about the threshold, recoil wise, I would go.

That's a good limit in my opinion, about the same for me.  Without looking over the ballistics, my quick list would be 25-06, 257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 270 Winchester, 308 and 30-06.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
What kind of budget do you have? How much shooting experience with large caliber rifles do you have? How much hunting experience do you have?

There're a lot of rifles that'll reach out to 500 yards and can kill an elk at 300-400 yards. But the shooter (you), is the unknown here. When you get buck fever taking a 100-yard shot, you still have a really good chance of putting one in the boiler room. At 300 yards, not so much because that "shake" is going to triple your placement error. If the answers to questions B and C are "not much or none", I would suggest that you plan on hunting big game at a much closer range to begin with. Hitting steel and killing an animal are completely different.

I would also suggest you find some rifles of different calibers and makes, and see how you like shooting them. Some of the forum members might shoot with you. Sometimes ranges have different guns they rent. You might find that recoil is a factor in your shooting enjoyment. The more comfortable a firearm is for you, the more apt you are to shoot it more frequently. If you go out whole hog and get a big gun and then don't like it, you'll leave it in the safe and when it comes time to shoot an animal, you'll be that much more apt to make an error.  :twocents:

"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »

That's a good limit in my opinion, about the same for me.  Without looking over the ballistics, my quick list would be 25-06, 257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 270 Winchester, 308 and 30-06.

I had a .257 Weatherby. Definitely kicked harder than a .30-06 I had.

Rather than spending a bunch of money on a LSS Chassis, if recoil were a concern, I'd buy a Tikka t3 Lite in .300 win mag or 7mm Rem Mag and put a muzzle brake on it. Put a good scope on it and be done.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »
What kind of budget do you have? How much shooting experience with large caliber rifles do you have? How much hunting experience do you have?

There're a lot of rifles that'll reach out to 500 yards and can kill an elk at 300-400 yards. But the shooter (you), is the unknown here. When you get buck fever taking a 100-yard shot, you still have a really good chance of putting one in the boiler room. At 300 yards, not so much because that "shake" is going to triple your placement error. If the answers to questions B and C are "not much or none", I would suggest that you plan on hunting big game at a much closer range to begin with. Hitting steel and killing an animal are completely different.

I would also suggest you find some rifles of different calibers and makes, and see how you like shooting them. Some of the forum members might shoot with you. Sometimes ranges have different guns they rent. You might find that recoil is a factor in your shooting enjoyment. The more comfortable a firearm is for you, the more apt you are to shoot it more frequently. If you go out whole hog and get a big gun and then don't like it, you'll leave it in the safe and when it comes time to shoot an animal, you'll be that much more apt to make an error.  :twocents:

That's the best advice you can get!!

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »
Took my heavy ( about 13 pounds ) to the high country in CO this year. 4 miles in  and up to 12,500 feet. It Was not fun packing it, but it was nice to have when it  was time to shoot. I think something around 8-9 pounds would be a good range.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 06:16:34 PM »
With rings and mounts, scope, sling and ammunition I like to be under 9 pounds for a walking rifle.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 07:24:01 PM »
 :) Between 7.5 and 9.5 lbs. any lighter I wobble, heavier I am not carrying it.  :chuckle:
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »
My Precious is about 7.5 and Baby is closer to 10 which is why I own 2 in the same caliber and same brand, just slightly different sizes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]