collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the heaviest you would go with a hunting rifle?  (Read 4019 times)

Offline GlockGuy56

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
What is the heaviest you would go with a hunting rifle?
« on: November 09, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
Looking to get my first big game hunting rifle this winter. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a .308 but was wondering at what point would a rifle be to heavy to carry around hunting. I could build one on a lss lightweight chassis with a howa 1500 barrel and be right around 10 pounds.

I think with a lot more classic sporting rifle I could get down to 7-8 pounds. What are your thoughts?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: What is the heaviest you would go with a hunting rifle?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
It seems like you're building a long range-ish rifle, why .308? With other cartridges that perform a lot better, just can't help but wonder.
I can tell you that hiking more than a couple miles sort of sucks with a ~13 pound rifle. My other rifle that is 9 pounds is a great hiking rifle. Just depends what you want to do with it...the right tool for the application.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline GlockGuy56

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
It seems like you're building a long range-ish rifle, why .308? With other cartridges that perform a lot better, just can't help but wonder.
I can tell you that hiking more than a couple miles sort of sucks with a ~13 pound rifle. My other rifle that is 9 pounds is a great hiking rifle. Just depends what you want to do with it...the right tool for the application.

Yeah, I'm thinking 400 yards max for comfortably shooting at big game but would be shooting steel 500 or farther if I can find somewhere to do it. I was thinking .308 just because it seemed like it would be a good caliber to offer me a lot of factory load and has a good amount of energy out to 450 to take down an elk.

What calibers would you suggest?

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
Lots of cartridges have enough energy and velocity for elk at 450 yards.  Lots of good factory ammo too.  Is recoil a concern?  That would whittle down the choices.  I would look at and compare ballistics and take a look at what factory ammo is offered in high BC bullets.  The more efficient the bullet, the less powder it will comparatively need to get the job done - and if that results in a short action, that will save you rifle weight.

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
I had the choice between a Ruger M77 in 338 WinMag, Remington 700 SPS Stainless steel in 300 WinMag, Savage 10 Scout in 308. I took the 300 Win Mag for elk when I was in open country and the 308 into the timber and close to ready in the truck. The 338 stayed at camp because of the weight.

I took a elk with the 308 last year.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »
Idaho has a 16 lb max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline GlockGuy56

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 04:34:10 PM »
Lots of cartridges have enough energy and velocity for elk at 450 yards.  Lots of good factory ammo too.  Is recoil a concern?  That would whittle down the choices.  I would look at and compare ballistics and take a look at what factory ammo is offered in high BC bullets.  The more efficient the bullet, the less powder it will comparatively need to get the job done - and if that results in a short action, that will save you rifle weight.

Yeah recoil is something I am considering. 30-06 is about the threshold, recoil wise, I would go.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »

Yeah recoil is something I am considering. 30-06 is about the threshold, recoil wise, I would go.

That's a good limit in my opinion, about the same for me.  Without looking over the ballistics, my quick list would be 25-06, 257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 270 Winchester, 308 and 30-06.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
What kind of budget do you have? How much shooting experience with large caliber rifles do you have? How much hunting experience do you have?

There're a lot of rifles that'll reach out to 500 yards and can kill an elk at 300-400 yards. But the shooter (you), is the unknown here. When you get buck fever taking a 100-yard shot, you still have a really good chance of putting one in the boiler room. At 300 yards, not so much because that "shake" is going to triple your placement error. If the answers to questions B and C are "not much or none", I would suggest that you plan on hunting big game at a much closer range to begin with. Hitting steel and killing an animal are completely different.

I would also suggest you find some rifles of different calibers and makes, and see how you like shooting them. Some of the forum members might shoot with you. Sometimes ranges have different guns they rent. You might find that recoil is a factor in your shooting enjoyment. The more comfortable a firearm is for you, the more apt you are to shoot it more frequently. If you go out whole hog and get a big gun and then don't like it, you'll leave it in the safe and when it comes time to shoot an animal, you'll be that much more apt to make an error.  :twocents:

"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »

That's a good limit in my opinion, about the same for me.  Without looking over the ballistics, my quick list would be 25-06, 257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 270 Winchester, 308 and 30-06.

I had a .257 Weatherby. Definitely kicked harder than a .30-06 I had.

Rather than spending a bunch of money on a LSS Chassis, if recoil were a concern, I'd buy a Tikka t3 Lite in .300 win mag or 7mm Rem Mag and put a muzzle brake on it. Put a good scope on it and be done.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »
What kind of budget do you have? How much shooting experience with large caliber rifles do you have? How much hunting experience do you have?

There're a lot of rifles that'll reach out to 500 yards and can kill an elk at 300-400 yards. But the shooter (you), is the unknown here. When you get buck fever taking a 100-yard shot, you still have a really good chance of putting one in the boiler room. At 300 yards, not so much because that "shake" is going to triple your placement error. If the answers to questions B and C are "not much or none", I would suggest that you plan on hunting big game at a much closer range to begin with. Hitting steel and killing an animal are completely different.

I would also suggest you find some rifles of different calibers and makes, and see how you like shooting them. Some of the forum members might shoot with you. Sometimes ranges have different guns they rent. You might find that recoil is a factor in your shooting enjoyment. The more comfortable a firearm is for you, the more apt you are to shoot it more frequently. If you go out whole hog and get a big gun and then don't like it, you'll leave it in the safe and when it comes time to shoot an animal, you'll be that much more apt to make an error.  :twocents:

That's the best advice you can get!!

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »
Took my heavy ( about 13 pounds ) to the high country in CO this year. 4 miles in  and up to 12,500 feet. It Was not fun packing it, but it was nice to have when it  was time to shoot. I think something around 8-9 pounds would be a good range.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 06:16:34 PM »
With rings and mounts, scope, sling and ammunition I like to be under 9 pounds for a walking rifle.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 07:24:01 PM »
 :) Between 7.5 and 9.5 lbs. any lighter I wobble, heavier I am not carrying it.  :chuckle:
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »
My Precious is about 7.5 and Baby is closer to 10 which is why I own 2 in the same caliber and same brand, just slightly different sizes.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
:) Between 7.5 and 9.5 lbs. any lighter I wobble, heavier I am not carrying it.  :chuckle:
Carl

Exactly how I would answer the question.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
No way I'd be considering a 10 pound rifle for my one and only big game rifle.  I'd be looking at 7-8 lb range.  That's assuming that you have to carry it yourself.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
I really like my little .243 Ruger American
Light fast nice action and a clip
Not sure what it weighs maybe 7
My 300 ultra is heavy great smooth shooter
Take a look at the Weatherby vanguards
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:15 PM »
Just my opinion but great long range rifles shoot heavier grain loads,have longer heavier barrels,kick less by far for accuracy,Have great optics to clearly view game at long ranges.All of which equals more weight.  :twocents:
To many variables to think about as far as weight goes.for every take you give and for every give you take.My elk rifle weighs exactly 10 pounds loaded,Leupold vx3 scope.Ive spoke to people with the lights and most have said they wish they did not go with the light.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
I have a 9 pound rifle all up and wish it was lighter. Call me crazy.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 09:57:59 PM »

not crazy for carrying lol,the kick is why most say they dont like the lites
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
I have carried a ula for 20 years. Don't know really what kick is but I have figured out what scope eye is. 6 lbs is ok. :o

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:34 PM »
I have carried a ula for 20 years. Don't know really what kick is but I have figured out what scope eye is. 6 lbs is ok. :o
What caliber?
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
30-06  I do carry a sling in my pack.

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 01:33:37 AM »
My hunting rifles weigh 8.1 and 8.3lbs.
8.3 is the heaviest I wanna go.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 05:35:26 AM »
10.625 for me
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 05:54:49 AM »
10.625 for me
:yeah:   
8.5 # is a nice light rifle, 9.5 # is comfortable 338 style rifle,  10.5# for max 1100 yard long ranger and it would be even better at 10#. 

To 400 yards no need to go heavy, 300 WSM with a 4-24 vx6 is deadly to 700 yards. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »

That's what muzzle brakes are for.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »
7.5-8.5#.  .270 Win. is about right out to about 400 yards.  The Remington Mountain Rifles and Ruger All Weather rifles fit the bill for production rifles.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »

If you want lighter then get the ultra lite .300 win mag with brake,Tell us how you like it.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »

If you want lighter then get the ultra lite .300 win mag with brake,Tell us how you like it.  :tup:

My current rifle weighs less than 9 pounds with a 4-16x scope on it, is a .300 win mag with a brake and I love shooting it. I can watch the bullets hit the target through the scope.  I could probably lighten it up a little with a smaller scope if you want? Maybe get down to 8.5 pounds? That's pretty darn light for a scoped rifle.

My buddy shoots a 6#(bare) .300 win mag and he enjoys shooting it now that it has a brake. His scoped rifle is probably 8.5# all up?

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
Nice!  :tup: yeah i think we must be talking scoped only in this conversation since were talking 400 yard shots. 8.5 9 even 10.3 pretty average weight as i stated for a big game hunting rifle.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
The Op mentioned 400 yards range, and 30-06 is their max recoil tolerance.   Most factory rifles with a 3-9x40 scope will get into the 8-8.5lb range and perform well to 400 yards in a variety of calibers, although slightly larger scope would be preferred for 400 yards for my eyes.   For example, a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker comes in at 6.5lbs in 308, and adding scope and rings should be able to get in the 8lb range and meet the range and recoil constraints listed.

I echo most others' advice of 7.5-9.5 lbs range.  My 8lb rifle gets carried the most, unless I'm in an area of long range shot opportunities then I pack the 9.5lb gun with the larger scope.   I wouldn't want to pack an 11lb or 12lb rifle around for long. 

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »
lol I have light rifles and always seem to carry the 18 lb custom! But everything dies that it spits at  ;)
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »
I have a 1990 Winchester Mod 70 Winlite in 300 Wby.  It is pretty light and shoots 3/4 inch groups.  Factory McMillan stocked.  ~ 8 lbs.  I like it real well.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 10:50:55 PM »
This thread made me curious as to what my old 30-06 Mauser weighed.  I just put a new scope on it and it comes in at 8lb 14oz total.  Not too bad I guess.  Better than the trigger pull....9lb 14oz  :yike:
Ya, if I can get it to shoot decent groups with the new scope, I may have to see about some trigger work.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal