collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reports from Peaches Ridge?  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Reports from Peaches Ridge?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
You still the same Ryan a little more grey is all.
  The hills are a little steeper than they were 35 years ago though for some reason.  Ha

In our minds we are still 25 years old and the hills still look the same. For me toss in 4 heart attacks and 4 mini strokes and the hills still look the same until I get on them. Reality check at that point.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »
Terrible. Hunted hard for 12 days, hunted Blowout Mtn, Mt Clifty, Gold Creek, around the PCT in the Wilderness, etc. Just couldn't find the elk - in 12 days of hunting (All on foot) I saw a total of 5 elk; 3 cows and 2 calves. I don't know what the problem was, but I just couldn't connect - it's tag soup for me and 20 points down the drain!
this is my nightmare, sucks that you didn’t get an opportunity at least!  It is a good unit but it’s big and there is a lot of places for the elk to hide.  With 23 points my greatest fear if I ever draw is no opportunities at a quality bull, sucks to hear your results.  Sorry man

If I were you, I would put in for muzzy.  There are a few places for long shots, but most of the action is up close and personal.  With the muzzy tag the bulls will tell you where they are and that is 90% of the battle.  There are no shortage of elk in that place, but finding them during daylight can be a very big chore.  If you are willing to hike, there are almost countless places to go that hold elk.

Offline WapitiChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »
Ran all my usual haunts and deep holes with an OTC spike tag. Ghost hunted it this year. It was slow the first three days and then nothing but cows and calfs.  I think we must have busted out 50-60 over the next few days.  The only spike I "think" I saw materialized from the woods with a cow group of 12 and hung on the edge of the woods at well after shooting light was done.  So tag soup for me too!

It WAS exciting enough to be coming across the elk daily and kept us all stoked to keep beating the bush.  We did see three pretty nice satellite bulls and,   One of my camp mates who I trust with my life swears a group of wolves (black) passed his pop up blind at 30 yards.  This may be an issue now and for the future of elk in the unit. He was freaked enough to bug out ASAP.

I drug my son way down into the north fork of the Natchez where NO ONE goes.   Usually holds at least some elk.  Didn't see a thing for that three mile excursion.

All in all I had a great time with friends and my son even though no one connected.   Hope all of you have fond memories of your seasons past and the ones to come.

Oh,  RTspring,   I still look forward to bumping into you and your boys for some hunting story swapping.  I have a bottle of apple pie to Make the elk bigger.  LOL.  We just hunted too hard this year to hardly make dinner! 
If hunting was easy, they'd call it killing....

Never judge a man til you walk a mile in his shoes.  That way when you do judge him, you will have a mile head start and he will have no shoes.

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 06:52:52 PM »
I’m starting to suspect there may be more wolves in Manastash/Taneum/Little Naches than we suspect.  I spoke to people this year who swear they heard howls in Manastash.  I saw tracks that were small for a wolf but exceptionally big for a coyote.  They weren’t where somebody’s dog would be.  I packed for White Pass Outfitters last year and spoke to people who heard howls in Rimrock.   There’s no reason there wouldn’t be wolves in these areas.  I really hate to see it happen though, especially with the various winter feed stations which will be a smorgasbord for wolves.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal