collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone do their scouting this time of year?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Anyone do their scouting this time of year?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »

Older rub but you get the idea
Rain is your friend hunting areas like this

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »
You've got it. I've got some spots that pained me this year because I couldn't hunt due to dry/noisy conditions. Wish I could have hunted them today!
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Turner89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 07:03:51 PM »
with a lot of pre scouting I find spots that I can glass into or onto a old decommissioned  rds or alder groves from a distance and when I get close and into the area I go slug slow so slow and quiet that your legs actually get sore . I look for ears tines backlines a lot of the time if you play the wind and with rain you can get so close on them that if they do stand they still don't know exactly where you are . Areas like this I prefer the open sight 30x30 for quick shots .
Hmmmm! I'm gonna try that tactic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 07:06:31 PM »

with a lot of pre scouting I find spots that I can glass into or onto a old decommissioned  rds or alder groves from a distance and when I get close and into the area I go slug slow so slow and quiet that your legs actually get sore . I look for ears tines backlines a lot of the time if you play the wind and with rain you can get so close on them that if they do stand they still don't know exactly where you are . Areas like this I prefer the open sight 30x30 for quick shots .
Hmmmm! I'm gonna try that tactic.
Lol

" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
This was from scouting this past weekend
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 07:52:12 PM »
Now that I have kids, I am way to busy.  I go bird  shooting on weekend mornings when not big game hunting and do family stuff in the afternoons.  They know when I am deer or elk hunting that I am not there on the weekend, but they also know that when I am not big game hunting that I am available to participate in their activities. 

If it were not for the above, you better bet I would be scouting like a demon. 

STAY OUT OF BEDDING AREAS or you will probably do more harm than good! 

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 08:00:59 PM »
Nice shot Sky - I'm very familiar with that "gotcha" look on her face.  Cool pic - it has a whole story going on in there.

Thanks Jakeland.  Even when going slow, slug slow, sooner or later one of those alder branches lying on the forest floor, invisible to the eye and hidden under last years grass growth fools my foot and I alert the entire forest of my presence.  With too little cover to hide my human form, I'm surely busted next time I move. Done it a thousand times it seems.  :chuckle:
I'll keep working on my technique.    BTW - That's one hell of an enormous rub on that big alder.  (and one long barrel on that rifle).
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline MAVsled

• MAV-HNTR
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/MavHntr
    • MAV's Outdoor Adventures
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »
just remember...
when you are out there scouting now, someone else could be hunting. Late archery or special permits.

I've had late permits and been foiled off stalks due to some idiot "scouting" and blowing my intended buck (bull) into the next county.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 06:04:46 AM »
Nice shot Sky - I'm very familiar with that "gotcha" look on her face.  Cool pic - it has a whole story going on in there.

Thanks Jakeland.  Even when going slow, slug slow, sooner or later one of those alder branches lying on the forest floor, invisible to the eye and hidden under last years grass growth fools my foot and I alert the entire forest of my presence.  With too little cover to hide my human form, I'm surely busted next time I move. Done it a thousand times it seems.  :chuckle:
I'll keep working on my technique.    BTW - That's one hell of an enormous rub on that big alder.  (and one long barrel on that rifle).

I stumbled onto a small stand of alders that had a tree of that caliber that was torn up every year for almost fifteen years.  Then some idiot cut them down for fire wood.  I had a friend put cameras on it and he never caught a buck there during the day.  It was close to his private access but located on closed public (water district)  land.  That told me that that was used by many different bucks over the years.  He and his partner take real nice bucks off surrounding access almost every year.

It was only after locating that rub that I knew exactly where they were hunting.  We get together for a beer after quitting for the evening for over ten years at his camp site and compare notes, he has a fire pit.     

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]