collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inexpensive Monoprice Strata Sous Vide Cooker  (Read 4347 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Inexpensive Monoprice Strata Sous Vide Cooker
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:07:28 AM »
This appears to be a knock off of the Anova Precision Bluetooth Cooker, the model I have. It's about half of the price at $69.95. The only difference I could see is the lack of Bluetooth, which I hardly use anyway. It has the same power output, so should heat up to and maintain temperature just like the Anova. The adjustments of the Strata appear to be identical to the Anova. I couldn't find any reviews of the cooker but a lot of good comments regarding the quality and value of Monoprice appliances. Maybe someone here has used this model???? Here's the link: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21594
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Inexpensive Monoprice Strata Sous Vide Cooker
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:16 AM »
There are "customer" reviews on the website. Who knows who wrote them. I will say that if you have been wondering about sous vide cooking and are scared off by the Anova price tag, this might be a good one to start with. It might also be a nice Christmas present for your significant other if she or he does a lot of cooking. One of the outstanding characteristics of sous vide cooking is the ability to do other things while the meat is cooking and to time the side dishes precisely to be done when the meat is ready to serve. With beef or lamb, I usually sear the meat and then rest for 20-30 minutes. This gives me time to cook vegetables and starches and make salad during the rest. For big events like Thanksgiving, this appliance frees up the oven for other items, like pies or casseroles, breads, etc.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »
Thanks P-man.  I've been thinking of buying one for a while now.  This looks like a good option!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:25:09 AM »
Very cool. I expect a full and detailed review when you get it and use it.  :tup:

By the way, Anova has a free phone app that has a ton of recipes. There's also a Youtube channel called Sous Vide Everything that's cool and a quick Google search will yield sous vide recipes all over the net.

Offline tjthebest

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »
I have used monoprice alot. They definitely have quality items and great prices. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a monoprice branded item.
Camp Wapiti Death!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
I have used monoprice alot. They definitely have quality items and great prices. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a monoprice branded item.

Thank you for chiming in. That's the general consensus for the brand that I've seen.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:02 AM »
Thanks for the heads up and info.  For those that have used them, would you go with the immersion stick type or the crock-pot type like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Mill-Sous-Vide-Machine/dp/B01MRRGX15/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1510678570&sr=1-9&keywords=sous+vide

I've been wanting one bigtime and the prices have came down to a reasonable range for me.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
I've never used the crock pot type, but would likely go with the immersion type anyway. They give you lots of flexibility with the size of pot you can use, how much you can cook at one time. And, when you're done, they don't take up a whole shelf in the kitchen or pantry. They store in a drawer. I've had mine for a year and use it several times a week - three times since Sunday this week alone.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:48:46 AM »
Thanks Pianoman.
I sent the link to my wife as an idea for me for Christmas. I've been tossing around the idea of getting one and even started a thread on here awhile back about tips/techniques for this style of cooking.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 09:57:11 AM »
I don't get into too many recipes, although I did do a Chinese pork belly dish on Sunday. Mostly, I'm cooking primal cuts, steaks, chicken breasts, all with some seasoning and most, searing at the end with a torch or on the gas grill outside. If you use a torch, get the gas in the yellow bottles. Gallon ziplock bags are the most frequent although I do use the vacuum sealer occasionally. I've not had one problem with the ziplocks up to 178F. I also learned this week to cover the top with plastic wrap to eliminate evaporation for long cooks of more than a few hours. Otherwise, you have to add water every three hours or so.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
looks like its 62 bucks on amazon...i'd been wanting to get one for a while and this makes trying it out that much easier!
Thanks for the heads up

Offline MikeCass

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 12:22:04 AM »
looks like its 62 bucks on amazon...i'd been wanting to get one for a while and this makes trying it out that much easier!
Thanks for the heads up

$62 on Amazon? Sounds like a great deal. :)

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
My buddy has one of these and just had us over for some elk shank that he put in it and it was unreal.  He took the most messed up cut of meat and it was all super tender and tasted great.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
I think I will show the wife this thread. I like the idea and would like to try it. Not sure if she will be up to a another kitchen gadget though.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »
It makes the best hamburgers in the world. As thick as you want. No shrink. Put the cheese in the middle and go out and have a cigar and a couple of vodkas. When you take them out, brown for 1 minute on each side and let rest while you cook the bacon and brown the buns. I did one last night which was about 1 1/2" thick, perfectly medium rare from one side to the other. Try that on your grill without it being charcoal on the outside and raw in the middle. :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]