collapse
A Hunting Trip of a lifetime in the Wenaha Tucannon Wilderness! Order Jason Phelps Calls Here

Author Topic: No antlerless for Colockum Archers next year?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: No antlerless for Colockum Archers next year?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
What's going to get us is people are driving on the cross country ski trails, blue diamonds, and setting up camp back in the meadows that the trails lead to.  Those guys are going to complain and the whole thing is going to get shut down.   :bash: :stup: :mor: :nono:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »
How about we close at least half of the roads up there and give the elk a chance of escapement. It has turned into a 3 season zoo for sure and the elk don't have enough country to hide in

As most of you know the east side only has 2 green dot roads from Beacon Ridge east to the Columbia, but that does not deter the ATV'r.  That is one of the most frustrating things that happen when your off the road or behind a "No motor vehicles past this point" or "No unathorized vehicles permitted" sign and you see ATV tracks. :bash:

I have photos of that repeatedly occurring...even some hauling elk out.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

what we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »
IMO....close every road that isnt a major blood line up there. If you take the major bloodline roads like beacon rd, colockum rd, naneum ridge rd, jump off rd, coleman creek rd, brewton rd  and close every spur road or dead end road or shortcut road like the powerline road off colockum that connects to the brewton rd or the Petitt rd that connects Brewton to colockum rd.....EVERYONE will have a better hunting experience and it gives the elk a better chance to survive each year. You will have the die hards that will put boots to dirt and hike off the main bloodlines to get back to get into the elk instead of driving everywhere to see elk like it is now. Ive always been a firm believer that with even a few road closures up there that it would better the hunt. Look at Cook Canyon for example, they closed the road off way lower than what it used to be and now its a great canyon to hunt i always see animals in there. No more atv's or jeeps way up the canyon like old days. Just my opionion and my  :twocents: im sure itll make a stink for those camps that set up where i said should be closed but hey its just an opinion

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 07:34:54 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head. Leave major lines open and close the rest. Gives all users the same opportunity while giving the elk and deer a chance to live. Right now itís an absolute disaster up there. I honestly donít know how anything makes it through
IBEW 46

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • www.facebook.com/Nobaitjustbears
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »
This is great news! What a zoo itís turned into the last few years. Unbelievable what people will do to kill/hunt elk. Go to permit only on cows early and give them a break. True spike sucks plain and simple. I wished they would go to spike again though.

100% agree
Author of "No Bait Just Bears" and "The Ultimate Guide To Black Bear Hunting". Follow on Instagram: bozeandbears.

Offline bowman

• Scout
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
I spoke with a game warden during my quilomene deer hunt last week. Some how ended up on this topic. I mentioned how hard it is to get away from the roads in both the Naneum and the Quilomene. He said hunter's who feel this way need to get involved. He said there is a very active Jeep group around Ellensburg and they fight to get more roads open. He used the road which goes through Ginko State Park as an example. For those who don't know, you can fill out a pass and then call a number for the gate combo. The road takes you from Recreation Rd through the State Park and back onto public land. That road is open because of the Jeep group fighting for it.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:11 AM »
All it takes is groups(hunters) to complain that those type of areas need to be closed to motorized vehicles during the hunting season.

Offline time2hunt

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »
That little road your talking about has been open to public for years all you need to do is call and get the combo. As for it goes it just connect you to whiskey Dick bay rd and across the bottom to quilamine ridge which also has been open for years. The issue is the three spur rds that run the ridge into the bottom end of wind farm.  The cure is to do like Idaho and Oregon close certain rd the day before season and reopen the day after season. That still give guys opportunity to take a camp in set it up. Then walk and or ride into it. Then after season go in to tear down.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline cle elum bowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
I hunt more of the West side of 328 but there are still tons of quad/jeep trails and every year I see quad tracks going down more closed roads.  I agree that closing more roads would be good.  Since there does not seem to be much money for road maintenance anymore, this could be a savings thing.  Of course, as they log of the burns, they need to do a better job of blocking access and rehabbing roads so guys quite cutting trails around to then ride the logging spurs.  I would think some ORV officers could drum up some revenue if they patrolled during the weekends of each hunting season. 
IAFF Local 27
Hoyt Turbohawk

Offline Band

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
This is not welcome news to me.  I made the switch to Colockum this year, did plenty of scouting, learned the elk travel patterns in the area, and got lots of trail cam pics.  Plenty of cows and 6-point bulls, a few spikes (only 1 of which was a true spike), and zero raghorns.  During the season I had 9 close encounters with elk, most of which included cows and big bulls, and no spikes (true or otherwise) seen.  Not sure I want to waste my time when legal animals are so few and far between.

After getting the squeeze by WDFW and timber companies over the years, making me switch areas several times, it might be time to drop Washington elk hunting and look out of state if this true spike thing comes to fruition for Colockum archery.

Offline stickslinger

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »
They have to do something, I have been hunting up there for 28 years and last year had me so disgusted that I almost packed up camp and left not due to hunting conditions but because of all of tbe inconsiderate so called hunters out there.   Way too many people with verry little area for elk to really escape the pressure
RELAX,PICK A SPOT,SHOOT STRAIGHT

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
Again keep in mind this year was an even bigger zoo because fires in other gmus displaced a bunch of hunters.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 05:09:37 AM »
This is not welcome news to me.  I made the switch to Colockum this year, did plenty of scouting, learned the elk travel patterns in the area, and got lots of trail cam pics.  Plenty of cows and 6-point bulls, a few spikes (only 1 of which was a true spike), and zero raghorns.  During the season I had 9 close encounters with elk, most of which included cows and big bulls, and no spikes (true or otherwise) seen.  Not sure I want to waste my time when legal animals are so few and far between.

After getting the squeeze by WDFW and timber companies over the years, making me switch areas several times, it might be time to drop Washington elk hunting and look out of state if this true spike thing comes to fruition for Colockum archery.

:yeah:
same here
Keep the wind in your hair, and the sun at your back.

"Mighty hunter, yes?
Fine figure of a man, yes?
That is all you need to know."

Offline Wagglyfawn

• Pilgrim
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »
You guys keep saying Colockum but I don't see a unit by that name. Are you referring to the Naneum/Quilomene units?

Offline time2hunt

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
You guys keep saying Colockum but I don't see a unit by that name. Are you referring to the Naneum/Quilomene units?
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Online Hot Lunch

• Columbia Fishing Co.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
This herd creates a lot of issues for the Vantage highway in the winter, I really hope this isn't the case.
www.FishtheColumbia.com

Custom Guided Sportfishing
Kings Sockeye Steelhead Walleye
Columbia River Gorge - Buoy 10 - Hanford Reach

Offline fishingnut71

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »
Good. Its a circus every year up there. Give the animals a break. I'm surprised anything survives after hunting season closes. I quit hunting up there because of it. :twocents:

Offline follow maggie

• Sourdough
  • Hunt anywhere, anytime!
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 10:30:41 PM »
I was up in the colockum for archery elk. I missed opening weekend because I was sick but I got out there Wednesday and stayed until Tuesday. I didnít see many people, saw tons of cows, a few big bulls and a couple really big bulls.  I saw absolutely no spikes, much less true spikes. Iím with Band, glad Iíve been planning an elk trip to Idaho next year.

Offline winshooter88

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2017, 01:42:39 AM »
I spoke with a game warden during my quilomene deer hunt last week. Some how ended up on this topic. I mentioned how hard it is to get away from the roads in both the Naneum and the Quilomene. He said hunter's who feel this way need to get involved. He said there is a very active Jeep group around Ellensburg and they fight to get more roads open. He used the road which goes through Ginko State Park as an example. For those who don't know, you can fill out a pass and then call a number for the gate combo. The road takes you from Recreation Rd through the State Park and back onto public land. That road is open because of the Jeep group fighting for it.

It's not just the jeep clubs, but also certain members of the Kittitas Field and Stream Club, if you don't believe it get the minutes from the Nanuem Ridge to Columbia River Recreation Planning meetings. Another example is the road down the bottom of either Tekison or Stray Glutch, the WDFW decommissioned it and the KFSC got their county commissioners and state representative to push through rules that required a new road to be built up the same draw at a cost of $25,000.00. They fight any idea of closing roads to help the wildlife in both the Quilomene and the Nanuem and have for years and years. This can all be proved by public records.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
Too bad the hunting community wasn't as organized as they are

Offline TriggerMike

• Scout
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
Part of me wants archery to stay OTC for cows because it keeps guys out of the other seasons, but another part of me really wishes that more cow tags would be allocated to the other seasons because as of right now the tag allocation numbers are ridiculous.

Offline howlow

• Tracker
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
The tag allocation is set by hunter success rates.  So all the types of weapons are close to same percentage at success rates

Offline TriggerMike

• Scout
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
The tag allocation is set by hunter success rates.  So all the types of weapons are close to same percentage at success rates
Well you either just made that up or someone lied to you lol because the archery success rate in district 8 was more than double that of modern firearm and muzzleloader last year. And in GMU 328, specifically, archery success was 5 times higher than muzzy and 3 times higher than mod fire. And this year, with cow tags cut much more drastically than last year, the success rate for archery will be even more skewed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline snake

• Hunter
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
I disagree on the road closure theory. Its part of the problem.  Open up more roads across the state.  If there are too many cows in the pasture you give them more pasture. Closing roads and areas only compounds the problem.

Offline TriggerMike

• Scout
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »
I disagree on the road closure theory. Its part of the problem.  Open up more roads across the state.  If there are too many cows in the pasture you give them more pasture. Closing roads and areas only compounds the problem.
Someone could just as easily argue that if you're the type of hunter who sticks to the roads, then yes your problem could be compounded. But if you're the type that hikes in a few miles, you're pretty much solving the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ElkNut Outdoor Productions

* Recent Topics

2 wolves shot NE Washington by KFhunter
[Today at 06:52:23 PM]

Poached Goat by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:51:34 PM]

F/S Eberlestock M5 Team elk pack by elkaholic123
[Today at 06:49:44 PM]

20 acres outside Davenport overlooking Lake Roosevelt 29.9K by stringer
[Today at 06:49:01 PM]

Tyvek tarps by Skyvalhunter