collapse
A Hunting Trip of a lifetime in the Wenaha Tucannon Wilderness! Order Jason Phelps Calls Here

Author Topic: No antlerless for Colockum Archers next year?  (Read 4060 times)

Offline snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: No antlerless for Colockum Archers next year?
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »
I disagree on the road closure theory. Its part of the problem.  Open up more roads across the state.  If there are too many cows in the pasture you give them more pasture. Closing roads and areas only compounds the problem.
Someone could just as easily argue that if you're the type of hunter who sticks to the roads, then yes your problem could be compounded. But if you're the type that hikes in a few miles, you're pretty much solving the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
In a perfect world there closing all the roads would cause everyone to hike in a few miles and it would be great. Unfortunately that is not the case with the majority of hunters.  Closing more roads and areas only compounds the problem and in turn causes other areas to become over crowded, creating a cycle.  I see the same problem with the states salmon/ steelhead fisheries. A certain river or place gets too crowded so they close it down thinking that will solve the problem, doesn't help, people just go somewhere else and get that place closed because it turns into a zoo.  I have had this conversation with many biologists on both hunting and fishing.  I say open more roads and more rivers. BTW I am a back country hunter, not a road hunter.

Offline hughjorgan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 08:58:12 PM »
It only compounds the problem for the lazy that donít want to get out and walk. Besides hunting the back country or wilderness it is hard to get a mile from any road. Wdfw should be working proactively with the USFS and close more roads for escapement in the colockum and other units from Ellensburg to Yakima.

Offline winshooter88

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »
Hughjordan,

Just so you know most of the Colockum/Nanuem area is owned by DNR, WDFW and private parties. USFS has a few parcels but not that much, they do have allot of land north of these areas.

Offline hughjorgan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »
I didn't know that, regardless though the wdfw should work within the proper channels to work with different agencies to help close roads for escapement.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• TimberDog
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/pages/Willys-Custom-Log-Furniture/244267748959697
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »
It only compounds the problem for the lazy that donít want to get out and walk. Besides hunting the back country or wilderness it is hard to get a mile from any road. Wdfw should be working proactively with the USFS and close more roads for escapement in the colockum and other units from Ellensburg to Yakima.

Nice statement.  >:(
 :bash: :bash: What about an elderly hunter?  or  Disabled hunter?   Are they lazy too? 

Think before you post :rolleyes:

Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Dťcor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Willys-Custom-Log-Furniture/244267748959697

Offline deerlick

• Virtual Campfire
  • Tracker
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »
Yeah locking gates fixes everything... maybe open gates across the rest of the state and you will see a difference.

Offline hughjorgan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »

:bash: :bash: What about an elderly hunter?  or  Disabled hunter?   Are they lazy too? 

There are already designated areas for handicap hunters. I don't know about the colockum but where I hunt there are two areas for them and guess where all the elk like to hang out?

Think before I post? Shall I use some cute emoticons to emphasize what I am going to say now like you did? Nah, I don't need to. The way you come across in what you posted, makes me think you don't think elderly hunters are capable of hunting any other way than from a vehicle, same goes for disabled folks. These folks are still very capable individuals and can still use the same areas whether there is a road to drive on or not. They may not be able to go as far as they once did but they still have access to the area. I see no reason why we can't close down a lot of spur roads that go to no where to provide better escapement and hunting for future generations. Another thing roads seem to do is make it real easy for natives to run up in the colockum and other areas and shoot big Bulls. One individual comes to mind when you think of the colockum doesn't it? ...whitefoot

Offline Stickerbush

• Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »
Is this rumor even confirmed by a credible source? What's the reason, has harvest been too high?
Coastal Perspective.

Offline hughjorgan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
Is this rumor even confirmed by a credible source? What's the reason, has harvest been too high?

I believe there was a survey a few months back that was worded as such that they were proposing taking cows away from archery hunters, not just in the colockum if I remember right.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• TimberDog
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/pages/Willys-Custom-Log-Furniture/244267748959697
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »

There are already designated areas for handicap hunters. I don't know about the colockum but where I hunt there are two areas for them and guess where all the elk like to hang out?

Think before I post? Shall I use some cute emoticons to emphasize what I am going to say now like you did? Nah, I don't need to. The way you come across in what you posted, makes me think you don't think elderly hunters are capable of hunting any other way than from a vehicle, same goes for disabled folks. These folks are still very capable individuals and can still use the same areas whether there is a road to drive on or not. They may not be able to go as far as they once did but they still have access to the area. I see no reason why we can't close down a lot of spur roads that go to no where to provide better escapement and hunting for future generations. Another thing roads seem to do is make it real easy for natives to run up in the colockum and other areas and shoot big Bulls. One individual comes to mind when you think of the colockum doesn't it? ...whitefoot

The way I come across????  I am not the one calling people names, I am not the one who is assuming what you think I meant(reality is that many folks are not able to walk far from a road) do they deserve less opportunity than the young and able bodied?
I am not the one "throwing spears" at the natives.

Enlighten us on how "they still have access to the areas" when roads are closed.

PS,  :bash: :bash: :bash: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: ;) ;) ;) :tung: :tung: :tung: :P :P :P :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Dťcor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Willys-Custom-Log-Furniture/244267748959697

Offline hughjorgan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »

The way I come across????  I am not the one calling people names, I am not the one who is assuming what you think I meant(reality is that many folks are not able to walk far from a road) do they deserve less opportunity than the young and able bodied?
I am not the one "throwing spears" at the natives.

Enlighten us on how "they still have access to the areas" when roads are closed.

PS,  :bash: :bash: :bash: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: ;) ;) ;) :tung: :tung: :tung: :P :P :P :: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Well I am not going to hi jack this thread just because you donít agree with my opinion to argue my point. It isnít going to hurt anyone to close some roads for the betterment of the herds. There is thousands of miles of forest road out there to drive so enjoy it.  :tup:

Offline stickslinger

• Tracker
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
It is real simple, just because a road is closed or gated does not mean the  disabled hunters can't get in, they just have to call the game department and tell them where they want to hunt and they will give them the key or combo to the gate which actually would give the disabled hunters a better chance at seeing animals.  Talked to a disabled hunters this year that was real frustrated, someone glued the lock closed and once the gammie opened it up he said there was a Hunter set up every hundred yards on the road. Now I'm not saying that closing a lot of roads up there will fix everything but in my opinion it is a good start.
RELAX,PICK A SPOT,SHOOT STRAIGHT

ElkNut Outdoor Productions

* Recent Topics

The mighty 28 gauge by merkelman
[Today at 01:17:39 AM]

Where would you buy hunting/recreation property in Washington? by mjgentile
[Today at 01:10:37 AM]

FS: 7mm Rem Mag casings/ammo by JTB
[Today at 01:07:04 AM]

Help with lady's bow purchase by mjgentile
[Today at 12:59:08 AM]

Prime rib prep question?? by Bigshooter