collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: No antlerless for Colockum Archers next year?  (Read 16607 times)

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: No antlerless for Colockum Archers next year?
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
Part of me wants archery to stay OTC for cows because it keeps guys out of the other seasons, but another part of me really wishes that more cow tags would be allocated to the other seasons because as of right now the tag allocation numbers are ridiculous.

Offline howlow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
The tag allocation is set by hunter success rates.  So all the types of weapons are close to same percentage at success rates

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
The tag allocation is set by hunter success rates.  So all the types of weapons are close to same percentage at success rates
Well you either just made that up or someone lied to you lol because the archery success rate in district 8 was more than double that of modern firearm and muzzleloader last year. And in GMU 328, specifically, archery success was 5 times higher than muzzy and 3 times higher than mod fire. And this year, with cow tags cut much more drastically than last year, the success rate for archery will be even more skewed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
I disagree on the road closure theory. Its part of the problem.  Open up more roads across the state.  If there are too many cows in the pasture you give them more pasture. Closing roads and areas only compounds the problem.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »
I disagree on the road closure theory. Its part of the problem.  Open up more roads across the state.  If there are too many cows in the pasture you give them more pasture. Closing roads and areas only compounds the problem.
Someone could just as easily argue that if you're the type of hunter who sticks to the roads, then yes your problem could be compounded. But if you're the type that hikes in a few miles, you're pretty much solving the problem.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »
Someone could just as easily argue that if you're the type of hunter who sticks to the roads, then yes your problem could be compounded. But if you're the type that hikes in a few miles, you're pretty much solving the problem.

In a perfect world there closing all the roads would cause everyone to hike in a few miles and it would be great. Unfortunately that is not the case with the majority of hunters.  Closing more roads and areas only compounds the problem and in turn causes other areas to become over crowded, creating a cycle.  I see the same problem with the states salmon/ steelhead fisheries. A certain river or place gets too crowded so they close it down thinking that will solve the problem, doesn't help, people just go somewhere else and get that place closed because it turns into a zoo.  I have had this conversation with many biologists on both hunting and fishing.  I say open more roads and more rivers. BTW I am a back country hunter, not a road hunter.

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 08:58:12 PM »
It only compounds the problem for the lazy that don’t want to get out and walk. Besides hunting the back country or wilderness it is hard to get a mile from any road. Wdfw should be working proactively with the USFS and close more roads for escapement in the colockum and other units from Ellensburg to Yakima.

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »
Hughjordan,

Just so you know most of the Colockum/Nanuem area is owned by DNR, WDFW and private parties. USFS has a few parcels but not that much, they do have allot of land north of these areas.

Offline hughjorgan

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »
I didn't know that, regardless though the wdfw should work within the proper channels to work with different agencies to help close roads for escapement.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »
It only compounds the problem for the lazy that don’t want to get out and walk. Besides hunting the back country or wilderness it is hard to get a mile from any road. Wdfw should be working proactively with the USFS and close more roads for escapement in the colockum and other units from Ellensburg to Yakima.

Nice statement.  >:(
 :bash: :bash: What about an elderly hunter?  or  Disabled hunter?   Are they lazy too? 

Think before you post :rolleyes:

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »
Yeah locking gates fixes everything... maybe open gates across the rest of the state and you will see a difference.

Offline hughjorgan

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »

:bash: :bash: What about an elderly hunter?  or  Disabled hunter?   Are they lazy too? 

There are already designated areas for handicap hunters. I don't know about the colockum but where I hunt there are two areas for them and guess where all the elk like to hang out?

Think before I post? Shall I use some cute emoticons to emphasize what I am going to say now like you did? Nah, I don't need to. The way you come across in what you posted, makes me think you don't think elderly hunters are capable of hunting any other way than from a vehicle, same goes for disabled folks. These folks are still very capable individuals and can still use the same areas whether there is a road to drive on or not. They may not be able to go as far as they once did but they still have access to the area. I see no reason why we can't close down a lot of spur roads that go to no where to provide better escapement and hunting for future generations. Another thing roads seem to do is make it real easy for natives to run up in the colockum and other areas and shoot big Bulls. One individual comes to mind when you think of the colockum doesn't it? ...whitefoot

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »
Is this rumor even confirmed by a credible source? What's the reason, has harvest been too high?
Coastal Perspective.

Offline hughjorgan

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
Is this rumor even confirmed by a credible source? What's the reason, has harvest been too high?

I believe there was a survey a few months back that was worded as such that they were proposing taking cows away from archery hunters, not just in the colockum if I remember right.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »

There are already designated areas for handicap hunters. I don't know about the colockum but where I hunt there are two areas for them and guess where all the elk like to hang out?

Think before I post? Shall I use some cute emoticons to emphasize what I am going to say now like you did? Nah, I don't need to. The way you come across in what you posted, makes me think you don't think elderly hunters are capable of hunting any other way than from a vehicle, same goes for disabled folks. These folks are still very capable individuals and can still use the same areas whether there is a road to drive on or not. They may not be able to go as far as they once did but they still have access to the area. I see no reason why we can't close down a lot of spur roads that go to no where to provide better escapement and hunting for future generations. Another thing roads seem to do is make it real easy for natives to run up in the colockum and other areas and shoot big Bulls. One individual comes to mind when you think of the colockum doesn't it? ...whitefoot

The way I come across????  I am not the one calling people names, I am not the one who is assuming what you think I meant(reality is that many folks are not able to walk far from a road) do they deserve less opportunity than the young and able bodied?
I am not the one "throwing spears" at the natives.

Enlighten us on how "they still have access to the areas" when roads are closed.

PS,  :bash: :bash: :bash: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: ;) ;) ;) :tung: :tung: :tung: :P :P :P :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter