collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Major wdfw overhaul  (Read 36706 times)

Offline Vine Maples and Cottonwoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Major wdfw overhaul
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »
Interesting Topic. A few thoughts from this peanut gallery.
20 years ago, I noticed a decline in blacktail deer, friends did too. Back then, one day while deer hunting, a friend ran into a "Cedar Cop", and hey discussed the lack of deer. The "Cop" said, "I know why you don't see deer, or deer sign. Cougars. I see them daily, while on the job, sometimes in twos and threes, cruising clear cuts, roads, etc."
As each years passes, the sign becomes less and less. Almost non-existent now. 
I agree, the restrictions, both on seasons and methods are unnecessary, but, they are a fact. Why? There used to be a bounty on cougars. An old hunter told me that he hunted them in the Cavanaugh area, back in those days. Cut off the ears and turned them in for the bounty money. A long time ago.
Another fact is that habitat is often used by WDFW, as an excuse for gross mismanagement. It is also a money maker for WDFW, in the form of grants.
Regarding Meetings, Hunter Protests, etc.; Some years ago, Duck Hunters on Duckhunter.net/Washington Forum, attempted to rally at Olympia. To no avail. Does WDFW listen to sport fishermen? Ha, Ha, Ha....! Nothing that WDFW has done regarding Salmon/Steelhead has worked. Nothing. But, Bern Schenks, former WDFW Director, was fired for daring to say "Over Fishing"! This was in the 80's. They used a budget shortfall as an excuse to get rid of him. And now, the new idea of ramping up salmon hatchery production? As a friend said; "Its for the benefit of the tribes, not sportsman."  Probably for the Orca's too.
Public Meetings by WDFW are nothing more than a legal formality, something they have to do, as part of their process. That is why, the many times I attended past meetings, it always seemed that the decision was already made, the meeting was just going through the motions. I'm not alone in feeling that way.
Regarding bringing back hound seasons for bear and cougar; Seriously, with the loss of access, gated roads, decommissioned roads, etc., do you really think hound hunting matters anymore? You can't get anywhere anymore. How do you expect to run hounds?
Regarding the decommissioning of roads; most of it is a senseless waste of monies. A gate, and 4 "water bars" within the first 100- 200 yards are likely sufficient. But, no, the state destroys the road for its full extent, making them discouraging at best, and impassable at worst. Many, you can not hardly walk. Stupid, and more access lost to the public. By the way, back years ago, when this road destruction started, they called them "water bars" to prevent erosion/protect habitat. It was also done, once tribal hunting was allowed, to keep access to a minimum, to protect game. And on the story goes.
The reality is that the State/WDFW plans years in advance. By the time we are told or find out, the die is cast, and we can only react. Its also very likely, and wouldn't be surprising, that the State/WDFW, are directed by the Fed's/UN/Agenda 21, to implement much that you see happening. You might find the topic of Agenda 21 interesting.
The use of predators to control game, and eliminate hunting, may not be the only possibility. Maybe people control is another facet?
By the way, Wolves; The plan to bring wolves back dates to the 40's. Aldo Leupold was involved on this plan, back in those days. Wolves may also be why you can't hunt coyotes within the Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie Forest during a portion of the year. If so, this would date the existence of wolves in that area, back to the 80's, when that restriction was enacted.
Anyway, just some rambling thoughts from an old guy. Thanks

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #211 on: November 23, 2017, 03:33:44 AM »
Coyotes are open year round.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2017, 04:46:11 AM »
20 years ago, I noticed a decline in blacktail deer, friends did too. Back then, one day while deer hunting, a friend ran into a "Cedar Cop", and hey discussed the lack of deer. The "Cop" said, "I know why you don't see deer, or deer sign. Cougars. I see them daily, while on the job, sometimes in twos and threes, cruising clear cuts, roads, etc."
I agree, the restrictions, both on seasons and methods are unnecessary, but, they are a fact. Why? There used to be a bounty on cougars. An old hunter told me that he hunted them in the Cavanaugh area, back in those days. Cut off the ears and turned them in for the bounty money. A long time ago.
Another fact is that habitat is often used by WDFW, as an excuse for gross mismanagement. It is also a money maker for WDFW, in the form of grants.
Regarding Meetings, Hunter Protests, etc.; Some years ago, Duck Hunters on Duckhunter.net/Washington Forum, attempted to rally at Olympia. To no avail. Does WDFW listen to sport fishermen? Ha, Ha, Ha....! Nothing that WDFW has done regarding Salmon/Steelhead has worked. Nothing. But, Bern Schenks, former WDFW Director, was fired for daring to say "Over Fishing"! This was in the 80's. They used a budget shortfall as an excuse to get rid of him. And now, the new idea of ramping up salmon hatchery production? As a friend said; "Its for the benefit of the tribes, not sportsman."  Probably for the Orca's too.
Public Meetings by WDFW are nothing more than a legal formality, something they have to do, as part of their process. That is why, the many times I attended past meetings, it always seemed that the decision was already made, the meeting was just going through the motions. I'm not alone in feeling that way.
Regarding bringing back hound seasons for bear and cougar; Seriously, with the loss of access, gated roads, decommissioned roads, etc., do you really think hound hunting matters anymore? You can't get anywhere anymore. How do you expect to run hounds?
Regarding the decommissioning of roads; most of it is a senseless waste of monies. A gate, and 4 "water bars" within the first 100- 200 yards are likely sufficient. But, no, the state destroys the road for its full extent, making them discouraging at best, and impassable at worst. Many, you can not hardly walk. Stupid, and more access lost to the public. By the way, back years ago, when this road destruction started, they called them "water bars" to prevent erosion/protect habitat. It was also done, once tribal hunting was allowed, to keep access to a minimum, to protect game. And on the story goes.
The reality is that the State/WDFW plans years in advance. By the time we are told or find out, the die is cast, and we can only react. Its also very likely, and wouldn't be surprising, that the State/WDFW, are directed by the Fed's/UN/Agenda 21, to implement much that you see happening. You might find the topic of Agenda 21 interesting.
The use of predators to control game, and eliminate hunting, may not be the only possibility. Maybe people control is another facet?
By the way, Wolves; The plan to bring wolves back dates to the 40's. Aldo Leupold was involved on this plan, back in those days. Wolves may also be why you can't hunt coyotes within the Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie Forest during a portion of the year. If so, this would date the existence of wolves in that area, back to the 80's, when that restriction was enacted.

Well Put :tup:

I don't think folks want to dive that deep into the problem or reasoning, it's easier to dart around on the outside, maybe it's too overwhelming for many.

Another note on hound hunting, we have all seen how fast wolves decimate the dogs, so at this point there would have to be plenty of wolf control before I would risk any of my dogs, if I had hounds.

I tell folks to look at WDFW thirty year plan, which doesn't mention hunting, it's more in line with protecting the three legged frog etc. and corridors, -Agenda 21-2030?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:02:15 AM by wolfbait »

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2017, 07:13:06 AM »
It is illegal to shoot them on USFS land.
@BigTex has mentioned this several times and even posted the federal code.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »

US Fish and Wildlife Service (refuges) land, not USFS (Forest Service)

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2018, 08:26:02 AM »
If ya'll didn't use up your energy a few months ago:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/seasonsetting/

It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:04 PM »
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2018, 04:01:05 AM »

I don't think folks want to dive that deep into the problem or reasoning, it's easier to dart around on the outside, maybe it's too overwhelming for many.

Another note on hound hunting, we have all seen how fast wolves decimate the dogs, so at this point there would have to be plenty of wolf control before I would risk any of my dogs, if I had hounds.

I tell folks to look at WDFW thirty year plan, which doesn't mention hunting, it's more in line with protecting the three legged frog etc. and corridors, -Agenda 21-2030?

After this topic was brought back up by Mr Mykiss I noticed your last comment, I tried to find a 30 year plan and couldn't, do you have a link?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2018, 05:16:32 AM »

US Fish and Wildlife Service (refuges) land, not USFS (Forest Service)

Yes very big difference
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2018, 01:07:18 AM »

After this topic was brought back up by Mr Mykiss I noticed your last comment, I tried to find a 30 year plan and couldn't, do you have a link?

Secure adequate funding for wildlife conservation

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will work closely with other state wildlife agencies and the nationwide Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies to get the CWCS in the hands of state, federal and local decision-makers, business interests, the conservation community and the general public. In particular, WDFW will make copies of the CWCS available to members of Congress and federal agency administrators who will help provide the necessary funding to implement the Wildlife Action Plan.

Emphasize biodiversity conservation

The Washington Biodiversity Council is developing a proactive blueprint for Washington’s first-
ever biodiversity strategy. This 30-year vision
will include a strategy for educating the public about biodiversity and will incorporate statewide and ecoregional priorities and benchmarks for conservation of land and water (both fresh and marine).

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00727/cwcs_executive_summary.pdf

A timeline of Conservation Northwest
Mitch Friedman founds the Greater Ecosystem Alliance (GEA) in Bellingham “to promote the protection of biological diversity through the conservation of large ecosystems, focusing on the greater Olympic, North and Central Cascades, and Columbia Mountain ecosystems.”

http://www.conservationnw.org/who-we-are/milestones

Defenders of Wildlife and the Center for Biological Diversity 

http://www.defenders.org/publications/the_u.s._and_the_convention_on_biological_diversity.pdf

Defenders of Wildlife

Working with States
Because the amount each state wildlife agency receives each year is not enough to meet all of its conservation goals, Defenders encouraged Congress to require each state to create a comprehensive wildlife conservation plan, also known as a State Wildlife Action Plan.  http://www.defenders.org/habitat-conservation/defenders-action

From the December 2009 Idaho Observer:  Explanation of the Biodiversity Treaty and the Wildlands Project

by Dr. Michael Coffman

As residents of the state of Idaho, we are particularly concerned with the red areas on the below map since our homes lie there and our Congressman Walt Minnick (D-ID) has set up a “Panhandle Collaborative” with local county commissioners and a myriad of environmental groups in order to devise a forest management plan that would eliminate human use of over two million acres of national forest land in North Idaho and Montana. Local Commissioner Cornel Rasor stated that our county seat is a member of ICLEI and “sustainable development” is on the move into North Idaho.

Read More@  http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20091223.htm

Washington Associations of Land Trusts
http://www.walandtrusts.org/Pages/StateWildlifeActionPlan.pdf

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2018, 08:49:48 AM »
WDFW will make copies of the CWCS available to members of Congress and federal agency administrators who will help provide the necessary funding to implement the Wildlife Action Plan.

The Washington Biodiversity Council is developing a proactive blueprint for Washington’s first-

I've witnessed WDFW's "Action Plans" "strategy" and "visions", you'll excuse me if I'm less than enthusiastic.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2018, 09:17:30 AM »
Same old stuff, new buzzword title.  Whenever you see the use of the words:

Secure
Work with
Emphasize
Developing
Strategy
Timeline
Working with (again)
Vision
and other meaningless words
It means it just another planning exercise to make everyone think something constructive is going to be the result.  Nothing positive gets done for wildlife on the ground because quite frankly that takes effort and manpower diverted from worthless meetings to physically doing something.  Planning on the other hand gives the impression of management and deceives everyone willing to buy into it for another cycle of 5-10 years. 

Whenever you see the above words in plans beware..... :twocents:

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
Same old stuff, new buzzword title.  Whenever you see the use of the words:

Secure
Work with
Emphasize
Developing
Strategy
Timeline
Working with (again)
Vision
and other meaningless words
It means it just another planning exercise to make everyone think something constructive is going to be the result.  Nothing positive gets done for wildlife on the ground because quite frankly that takes effort and manpower diverted from worthless meetings to physically doing something.  Planning on the other hand gives the impression of management and deceives everyone willing to buy into it for another cycle of 5-10 years. 

Whenever you see the above words in plans beware..... :twocents:

Your insight confirms my previous thoughts.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »

Secure adequate funding for wildlife conservation

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will work closely with other state wildlife agencies and the nationwide Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies to get the CWCS in the hands of state, federal and local decision-makers, business interests, the conservation community and the general public. In particular, WDFW will make copies of the CWCS available to members of Congress and federal agency administrators who will help provide the necessary funding to implement the Wildlife Action Plan.

Emphasize biodiversity conservation

will include a strategy for educating the public about biodiversity and will incorporate statewide and ecoregional priorities and benchmarks for conservation of land and water (both fresh and marine).

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00727/cwcs_executive_summary.pdf

A timeline of Conservation Northwest
Mitch Friedman founds the Greater Ecosystem Alliance (GEA) in Bellingham “to promote the protection of biological diversity through the conservation of large ecosystems, focusing on the greater Olympic, North and Central Cascades, and Columbia Mountain ecosystems.”

http://www.conservationnw.org/who-we-are/milestones

Defenders of Wildlife and the Center for Biological Diversity 

http://www.defenders.org/publications/the_u.s._and_the_convention_on_biological_diversity.pdf

Defenders of Wildlife

Working with States
Because the amount each state wildlife agency receives each year is not enough to meet all of its conservation goals, Defenders encouraged Congress to require each state to create a comprehensive wildlife conservation plan, also known as a State Wildlife Action Plan.  http://www.defenders.org/habitat-conservation/defenders-action

From the December 2009 Idaho Observer:  Explanation of the Biodiversity Treaty and the Wildlands Project

by Dr. Michael Coffman

As residents of the state of Idaho, we are particularly concerned with the red areas on the below map since our homes lie there and our Congressman Walt Minnick (D-ID) has set up a “Panhandle Collaborative” with local county commissioners and a myriad of environmental groups in order to devise a forest management plan that would eliminate human use of over two million acres of national forest land in North Idaho and Montana. Local Commissioner Cornel Rasor stated that our county seat is a member of ICLEI and “sustainable development” is on the move into North Idaho.

Read More@  http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20091223.htm

Washington Associations of Land Trusts
http://www.walandtrusts.org/Pages/StateWildlifeActionPlan.pdf

Thanks for the links, I was able to see the connections.  :tup:

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2018, 08:27:11 AM »
Great list of "buzzwords" bearpaw.
You can add "diversity" to that list, pretty sick of seeing that word!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]