collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Some random advice on out of state hunting trips  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Re: Some random advice on out of state hunting trips
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Great write up! I’m wanting to plan my first solo Colorado mulie trip for next year and you offer some great advise! Thanks for the post!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Some random advice on out of state hunting trips
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
Thanks for the write up.  I'd like to plan something out of state for next year but haven't even narrowed it down to what state.  I thought about antelope in Wyoming but at 50 years old according to their regulations  I'd have to take hunters ed because I was born after 1966.  I'm thinking probably Montana for mule deer.
There is some great advice here: Read and understand the rules when you hunt out of state (or are new in state for that matter!). 

Just as an example, where a Washington hunter might get in trouble without thinking: In Wyoming, if born after 1966, you not only must have taken hunter safety, you are required to carry your hunter safety card while hunting.  Forest grouse ARE game birds in Wyoming, you need an upland bird license to hunt them legally.  Evidence of sex must remain naturally attached to an edible portion of the carcass - just having the detached head accompanying won't cut it.  Tagging in Wyoming requires three elements, not just notching the month and day, you must also detach the tag from the license and sign it. 

On the flip side, in Washington a Wyoming hunter could get in trouble having a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle, not wearing enough orange, not having the tag attached to the animal while in transport, despite being legal in Wyoming.

Are you positive about the evidence of sex? I shot a doe and detached the head and utter flap. The gamie checked me and never said anything about it
I was - and just learned it has been changed since the last time I hunted there!  In hunt areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to a specific sex of animal by regulation, either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers shall accompany the carcass, or edible portions thereof.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]