collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A Proposal for Washington's Mule Deer  (Read 20582 times)

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: A Proposal for Washington's Mule Deer
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline fastdam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2018, 12:40:31 PM »
I’m not saying it’s  all the tribes fault, I believe wolves are a big problem as well. I’ve always thought if you can’t beat them join them, how about we open up everything over the counter in the 300 units and we kill everything. If the Indians Don’t have anything more to harvest maybe then they will come to the table with some sort of agreement. And I am not advocating poaching and I’m not all for this I’m just saying what do you think about this idea, is there any other way to get some cooperation with the tribes?

Best idea I have heard ever

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »
Predators kill a lot of mule deer and I would love to see hound hunting reinstated but I also feel that there is about as much chance of that happening in the next 10 years as there is of a hunt-wa member winning the lotto and distributing the money equally among all the members so that we can quit our jobs and spend the rest of our lives hunting and fishing (come on fingers crossed :chuckle:). I regret having mentioned predators in my last reply... I got distracted from the topic at hand...   

I think we need focus our attention first on taking small steps and working toward realistic goals that could be achieved within the next couple of years. Start by restricting antlerless harvest. From there I'm not sure. The odd/even wild Id every other year mule deer opportunity sounds interesting and this type of idea has a much higher probability of being implemented. I am just playing the odds and willing to make sacrifices that would help the deer.

It's a huge mistake to give up on the predator issue.  It's the one issue that supercedes them all, and as long as its not fixed the future is hopeless.  We need to have a united, passionate voice at every opportunity demanding predator reduction.  There's other issues that need addressed as well, BUT ANY PROPOSAL THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE INCREASED PREDATOR REDUCTION IS LIKE TRYING TO FIX A FLAT TIRE WITH A BANDAID.  Ungulates can only sustain so much harvest, and unless we get meaningful change it will eventually be the end of OTC hunting opportunity in this state.  :twocents: :twocents:

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2018, 05:04:41 PM »
Buglebrush nails it

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »
Buglebrush nails it

Ya Bugkebush nailed it but......... This state will most likely always be OTC  for the money.  I'm sorry I got sucked in to comment.  Hopefully I don't get banned. :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »
I did notice that not much changes for mule deer in the proposals for deer seasons ,wdfw must figure they still got some 💰 in mule deer herds and otc tags still.I wish they would just listen to sportsmen sometimes ,there is lots of options and do something before we have to close gmu's for harvest at all.Or we get the oops herd is on trouble let's hit the red panic button.

No mule deer doe harvest
No doe permits for mule deer
4pt antler restrictions
Only hunt mule deer every other year.
More predator control in mule deer areas

If I had my way it would be all of them.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »
 Purchase doe tags and eat them.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »
Unless we are gonna start a massive social media campaign and hold our own public forums and write letters to the editors or opinion pieces in every newspaper in WA and ABSOLUTELY SLAM WITHOUT MERCY anyone who posts a picture of a mule deer doe anywhere on the ‘net I think that’s a noble idea but ain’t gonna do it...not to mention half those tags are gonna get filled by people who don’t care too much about the above and are just happy to shoot a deer. Nope, I’m pretty sure it’s a regs change that’ll do the trick.
Personally I don’t see a shortage of mule deer does but the bucks get shot to hell...I guess it depends on your GMU.

It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
Purchase doe tags and eat them.

Or have a "ceremony", tell stories of hunting deer, bucks that got away and how much you miss past hunters. Then toss them all in the fire :tup:, I can't tell you how many doe tags were "sacrificed" by my family over the years, we got drawn or purchased many, probably hundreds........I used to say let the kids have them, but only some, until about 5 years ago we witnessed 3 different abbuses of grownups bailing out of vehicles and shooting does, seen one "guy" jump out and drop 3 does, then the kids got out and  Dad :dunno: proceeded to have the youngsters pose for pictures :bash:, yes we turned them in, couldn't get a lic.plate but gave a decent description of the rig. Don't know what happened. Not right! Ruins it for the "good guys"!!!

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2018, 08:00:07 PM »
That drives home my point. How’d your family eating hundreds of doe tags work out for WA mule deer? Good? Everything going well for em?
-Black Elk

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2018, 10:47:00 AM »
That drives home my point. How’d your family eating hundreds of doe tags work out for WA mule deer? Good? Everything going well for em?

Back then it probably did help when some folks didn't use the doe tags, the Methow herd for example was at all time high numbers, as I've said before it hovered around 30-40k, the herd was healthy and except for some bad winters here and there the herd held its own and would bounce back strong. The herd now is less than half of what it was since the predator issue has reared its ugly head, and is continuing its tailspin while they continue to sell doe tags, so, your question of "everything going well for em?", no, the herd is in horrible shape because of lots of issues including poor management, but yes I think it helped back then and would probably help now if some of those Methow doe tags were"burnt or eatin", heck theres a really good argument for why they are even available at this time in that valley and why they have been available since the predator explosion! Cats, bear, yotes and wolves take enough does out every day not to mention vehicles so at this day and time in the Methow at least, yes I think destroying doe tags is a good idea, why they are even available is the real issue!....just answering your question to me, my :twocents:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:57:36 AM by bigmacc »

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
I follow what you're saying.

If I burn half of the doe tags allotted, the decision next year may be to offer MORE!  It's the decision WDFW makes that is the issue.  You're fighting the symptom.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline GoldenRing270

• Tracker
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
Yep and archery mule deer doe hunters have an unlimited over the counter 2 week season. No matter what the causes are for the decline, handing out OTC doe tags is extremely counterproductive toward any type of recovery.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2018, 12:35:18 PM »
Predators kill a lot of mule deer and I would love to see hound hunting reinstated but I also feel that there is about as much chance of that happening in the next 10 years as there is of a hunt-wa member winning the lotto and distributing the money equally among all the members so that we can quit our jobs and spend the rest of our lives hunting and fishing (come on fingers crossed :chuckle:). I regret having mentioned predators in my last reply... I got distracted from the topic at hand...   

I think we need focus our attention first on taking small steps and working toward realistic goals that could be achieved within the next couple of years. Start by restricting antlerless harvest. From there I'm not sure. The odd/even wild Id every other year mule deer opportunity sounds interesting and this type of idea has a much higher probability of being implemented. I am just playing the odds and willing to make sacrifices that would help the deer.

It's a huge mistake to give up on the predator issue.  It's the one issue that supercedes them all, and as long as its not fixed the future is hopeless.  We need to have a united, passionate voice at every opportunity demanding predator reduction.  There's other issues that need addressed as well, BUT ANY PROPOSAL THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE INCREASED PREDATOR REDUCTION IS LIKE TRYING TO FIX A FLAT TIRE WITH A BANDAID.  Ungulates can only sustain so much harvest, and unless we get meaningful change it will eventually be the end of OTC hunting opportunity in this state.  :twocents: :twocents:

:yeah: boom there is your answer. This thread is interesting in an irritating sort of way :chuckle: . I keep going back to the fights over wolves and what their effect would be on deer and elk when wolves started showing up. The members who predicted exactly this happening were ridiculed by members saying they were conspiracy theorists wearing tin foil hats. The results are here and now moose tags are being reduced and smarter hunters than me think cow moose harvest should be completely eliminated. Its admirable that you members are willing to limit and self regulate your harvest of deer to help the herd but it wont matter. Why isn't the wdfw controlling predators? Without that nothing else matters. Just some control over numbers of predators not elimination. What is so hard about acknowledging that? Maybe this is the way the other side plans to end hunting.   :dunno:     

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
I,m, not a "conspiracy" type person at all but like I said in my last post the real issue is why there are doe tags even available in some of these areas, especially places like the Methow where the herd is in such a tailspin and predator numbers are booming,  with some of this so called "management" its easy to see why people put on tin foil hats and wonder if there is an "agenda":dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]