collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where does your dog stay during the winter?  (Read 6335 times)

Offline nutntoit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Where does your dog stay during the winter?
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »
I now have two dogs, a 9 month old Lab and a 9 wk old Vizsla. Now that it is getting colder I am concerned about them staying outside while I am at work. Where I live it can get into the single digits at times with outside temps staying below freezing for most of the winter. Currently I have a 5x15 fenced dog run with a concrete floor and a roof. I put up weather paneling tarp around the exterior to keep most of the wind out. I also have a 4f tx 3ft dog house constructed much like an actual house with wood siding and a shingle roof that is inside the dog run. I am wondering if I should just insulate the house and add a dog door, or get something different to keep the dogs warm. I am especially concerned about the Vizsla. I don't want to keep him locked in a kennel all day The dogs get along well and will both fit and lay in the dog house together. The dogs are inside while I am home and sleep inside. This is just a place to keep them during the day while I am at work. Does anyone else have a similar set up, and how do you keep the pups warm as the temperature falls?

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Where does your dog stay during the winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »
You can put straw in the kennel and they will nest in that. Another option is a heat lamp, especially since you have it enclosed. I have two black labs and a dog run like yours, but they stay inside during the winter. Luckily I work about 5 minutes from my house and since they sleep inside at night year around, they already have their designated pillows that they stay on.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:37:30 AM »
Mine stays in the house year round. One of us brought fleas into the house last year, but no problems this year

Offline bigdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:38:45 AM »
I ran into this same problem when i bought a lab cross thinking it would have the hair and coat of a lab. Turns out he had the hair of the cross which never thickened up enough for him to stay warm outside in winter. I leave the house at 7 and come back from work at 4:30. I (out of no other option) started leaving him in his crate at home during the day. I would get home and then take him outside for an hour working in the yard or going for a walk. After a couple of accidents, he adapted to crate life and peed in the mornings and Pooped in the afternoons when we go out for our walk. He is free in the house to socialize with the family when I am home. When he was about two years old he let me know that the crate thing was getting old so , I tried just leaving him free in the house during the day. He has been the perfect gentleman and I'm convinced spends the whole day either staring out the slider window or sleeping on my daughters bed.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
I think you would be fine just insulating the dog house. 2 dogs with shelter snuggled up to one another will keep warm enough. Some kind of clear dog door/flap would work great to really dampen the air flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
My biggest problem, is I don't trust either dog in the house unattended and I work 20-25 minutes from home. The Vizsla has spent days in the crate since we picked him up and he HATES it. I have been able to let him out on my lunch break this far but as the snow comes and the roads get worse I wont have time to do that. I really don't want to turn him off to the crate. My lab is pretty good with confinement and would rather sleep in his crate than in the bed. Outside is sort of my only option other than the garage possibly, but that has its own set of problems.

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
I think you would be fine just insulating the dog house. 2 dogs with shelter snuggled up to one another will keep warm enough. Some kind of clear dog door/flap would work great to really dampen the air flow.
That's what I was thinking, but I need something semi chew proof that the dogs can't eat and choke on while I'm at work. I have found a few options but they are $100 each just for the door.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »
For mine I just used a piece of black rubber conveyor belting. It don't let light through but was tough enough a little chewing didn't get too far. If your going to try and insulate perhaps a small window of some sort would let a little light in. A small hole and some pecan glued to the plywood. Straw and dampening the air flow& a little insulation would likely do what's necessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »
Mine stays in the house year round

Ditto.  I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a person

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
Yea both of mine stay in their house I just sleep there and pay the mortgage.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
My lab lives out side 24/7 and is bedded in straw, in a igloo dog house like your set up. 
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »
My lab lives out side 24/7 and is bedded in straw, in a igloo dog house like your set up.
Do you have any kind of door in the igloo?

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
My two dogs are spoiled and stay inside year round.   

Years ago, I had a lab that would tear the house up if I left her inside alone.   So for the winter months, I bought a taller size exercise pen from Petco and set it up in the garage when I left for work (https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/dog-gates-doors-and-pens/midwest-black-e-coat-exercise-pens).    Only for the few months of really cold, and for warmer months she was in the backyard when I was at work, but always slept in her crate in the house at night.  It worked for me.   My current dogs are safe to leave in the house all day, so don't need to do that anymore.   

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »
I've got a WPG that I fight with the girlfriend to keep him living outside. I want him acclimated so I don't have to worry about him sleeping in the cold on hunting season camping trips.

He's sheltered from the wind and the rain, outside down to about 25 degrees. Colder than that, I let him inside.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »
Yea both of mine stay in their house I just sleep there and pay the mortgage.

You're not their servant?  Buy their food and feed them, and act as their doorman?  Mine acts like he's at a Manhattan hotel.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:27:21 PM by Knocker of rocks »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter