collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where does your dog stay during the winter?  (Read 6334 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Where does your dog stay during the winter?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »
Mine stays in a fenced electrified yard and insulated dog house stuffed with hay.   I don't like hunting indoor dogs, they're either too cold or too hot with soft feet.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 05:53:16 AM »
Mine stays in a fenced electrified yard and insulated dog house stuffed with hay.   I don't like hunting indoor dogs, they're either too cold or too hot with soft feet.

Good topic.  KFH, when it gets below zero, does your dog do o.k. or do you let him in at night?  What kind of dog do you have?  I'm asking because our labs always sleep by the wood stove at night, and they are big babies when the weather gets cold.  Maybe I should build an insulated house.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 10:59:44 AM »
I have a female Brittany, and unless it's -15 or 20 below she stays outside.  I feed her more in the winter and check her weight frequently, if it's a super cold snap she comes in at night but then she's panting from the heat.  Another thing I'll do is put her in the shop where it's warmer (insulated shop, stays above freezing)  but not tongue hanging out panting warm. 

I do not use a heating pad or dog house heater just keep it full of hay.  I did build a custom dog house that's well insulated top, bottom and all sides with a small entry hole and it's stuffed with hay.  She's warm in there, I never see shivering when she comes out to greet me.

Had lot's of labs growing up and none of them ever came inside the house ever, labs are even more tolerant of cold than Brittany's are with their hollow haired fur but whoa in the spring holy shed monsters.  We always had hay barns and they nested in the warm hay when it got down really cold.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
I've kept my hunting dogs outside at night in a fenced yard. Now that my dog is older I bring him in on exceptionally rainy nights since he will no longer go in his dog house and just lays at the back door. I also have a heating pad in his out door bed to supplement some heat. I don't bath him during duck season the wife hates the Skagit mud so I take him for a swim in clean fresh water before bringing him home. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
You can put straw in the kennel and they will nest in that. Another option is a heat lamp, especially since you have it enclosed. I have two black labs and a dog run like yours, but they stay inside during the winter. Luckily I work about 5 minutes from my house and since they sleep inside at night year around, they already have their designated pillows that they stay on.

I prefer alfalfa hay to wheat straw.  Heat lamps are good.  Our doghouse has 2x6 insulated walls and thermopane windows.  It is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:31:47 AM by JDHasty »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Both cool and warm in the winter huh?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 11:35:12 AM »
I've kept my hunting dogs outside at night in a fenced yard. Now that my dog is older I bring him in on exceptionally rainy nights since he will no longer go in his dog house and just lays at the back door. I also have a heating pad in his out door bed to supplement some heat. I don't bath him during duck season the wife hates the Skagit mud so I take him for a swim in clean fresh water before bringing him home. 

When she's old I'll bring her in too, nothing wrong with giving a retired old dog an extra winter or two inside  :tup:

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
Mine stay outside all the time. I have two large dog houses on the deck butted against the house and next to the privacy wall on the deck. An 8' picnic table lengthwise in front of the houses. The whole works is wrapped with a tarp that used to cover train cars (really thick and heavy) with an opening at the end just big enough for them to go through. The houses are stuffed with straw.
When it snows it turns into a giant snow cave. Very warm and protected from the wind, yet cool in high temps. I went in last year when it got to freezing thinking about a heat lamp but with both dogs in there it is plenty warm.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »

When she's old I'll bring her in too, nothing wrong with giving a retired old dog an extra winter or two inside  :tup:

Thanks for the info KFH.  Got a lab pup now.  Might make her an insulated house for the porch. 

BTW... I had an 8 year old retired lab.  Brought her in by the wood stove and she didn't die until she was 17.  There was so much shed hair you could have knitted a sweater.   :chuckle:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
Our lab sleeps on my son's bed.  It isn't the best way to get a winter coat on her, but she's actually a pet before a waterfowl dog.  I would rather have to fetch a few myself than tell my son the dog has to sleep outside.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 07:10:02 PM »
My female brit sleeps under the covers and steals the couch.  She has extremely tough feet and can run in the cold or the heat, just like her owners who sleep in the bed with her. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
My female brit sleeps under the covers and steals the couch.  She has extremely tough feet and can run in the cold or the heat, just like her owners who sleep in the bed with her.

:tup:

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 12:38:40 AM »

how do you keep the pups warm as the temperature falls?

Easy. I just put more wood in the stove.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »
When I lived up in northern MN, my pointers lived in insulated dog houses filled with marsh hay, they'd just burrow into it.  Here in the NW they come in the house, just too damp and wet.  He won't sleep in the bedrooms, seems like he wants to be able to see outside all the time.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:00:09 PM by AWS »
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
Well.......he's a bit spoiled I spose.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]