collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Missing Elk Hunter GPNF Update on 2nd page  (Read 17648 times)

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Missing Elk Hunter GPNF Update on 2nd page
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:57:23 PM »
Hunter missing near the Forlorn Lakes area. Running out of time for sure with all the snow that has been falling, but hopefully the family can find him.

http://www.kptv.com/story/36881606/search-suspended-for-missing-vancouver-elk-hunter
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:27:13 AM by Jason »

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Missing Elk Hunter GPNF
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
Prayers with the family.   Get yourself an InReach guys.    Just do it - then you can text from anywhere or press 911.   

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Prayers with the family.   Get yourself an InReach guys.    Just do it - then you can text from anywhere or press 911.

:yeah:

I'm not allowed to hunt along anymore without carrying one.  I have a friend still with us today because he had an inreach when climbing in the north cascades.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 07:13:37 AM »
Don’t know anything aBout the product.   Someone in the know should do a thread.   I’ve carried a spot before.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:02:45 AM »
Don’t know anything aBout the product.   Someone in the know should do a thread.   I’ve carried a spot before.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,220936.msg2938966/topicseen.html#new

Ask Santa for one, if you ever hunt out of cell range this is a mandatory piece of equipment.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:21 AM »
I sure hope he's holed up in a snow cave but it doesn't look good. I think if I were to get one, it'd be the spot. I already have a great GPS. The subscription rates are similar but the units vary wildly in price. Anyone know anything about how they work in heavy timber and with snow or fog?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 08:56:53 AM »
This sucks. A young guy to..?? I read this to the wife and daughter, daughter told me she would cut the string on my bow if i went hunting by myself. I sure hope he was prepared.

Offline Macs B

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
Channel 7 news this morning said the search had been called off, his truck was found covered in two feet of snow.  Hopefully they will start searching again when they get a weather window.
I usually delete my posts after two days.

I've never claimed to be a house painter or a mechanic...it always amazes me how many people want to claim to be a lawyer.

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »
The "official" search has been called off but there are still people actively searching.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Matthew 6:33

Offline optic2

• Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
I sure hope he's holed up in a snow cave but it doesn't look good. I think if I were to get one, it'd be the spot. I already have a great GPS. The subscription rates are similar but the units vary wildly in price. Anyone know anything about how they work in heavy timber and with snow or fog?

It needs a clear view of the sky to work. Sometimes messages can take a little while if you are in heavy timber. If it's in your pocket and you're in timber you probably won't receive a message. It's good to take it out every so often when you're in a clearing and let it sit out for a little while. But, every message I've ever sent has been received and every message ever sent to me has also been received by me. If you get one I also recommend a portable charger so you can recharge it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »
You can also set it up to automatically send your current location periodically so people can at least see where you were and what direction you were headed even if you don't send a message or fall and knock your head or the like.

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »
A friend of a friend had a backcountry accident on horseback. Broke his pelvis 15 miles from a dirt road and another 50+ to pavement. Sent the signal and they picked him up with a private medivac 3 or 4 hours later. Saved his life, he said he was in shock and his friends couldn't get him warm, he would not have survived the night.
  He also said if you're in the backcountry  (or anywhere really) and see a helicopter coming in, don't wave your flashlights around like a neighboring camp did. Cost them 45 minutes to find out they weren't the group in trouble...

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
Thanks Stein

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »

InReach does everything the SPOT does, plus more.  SPOT is one-way text messages/emails that have to be pre-programmed before you go.  InReach has those, but also the on-the-fly custom text messages, and it's 2-way you can receive text messages.  With a SPOT if you hit the SOS button you don't know it's been received until the chopper arrives overhead.  With the InReach you get confirmation from GEOS that the SOS was received, and they can give you status/ETA on rescue, plus you can give up to date medical info so the rescuers are prepared to handle your injuries and deal with any known pre-existing medical conditions. 

If you look at the pricing it can be cheaper in the long run to get the InReach too as they allow you to turn on/off the service at monthly intervals.  If you're like a lot of guys and would only need it for 2 months out of the year, you'll pay more per month for those 2 months, but you'll save a ton by turning it off and not paying anything for the other 10 months of the year.  SPOT is yearly only on their subscriptions.

When I can handle the upfront cost I'll be trading up to the InReach.

Regarding the fellow lost in the woods, I sure hope and pray they find him safe and alive.  But the odds are already really low and not going to get any better.  Only way he's likely to be found alive is if he found shelter somewhere.  Miracles happen and people have survived more severe situations.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]