collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Are you kidding me?  (Read 10158 times)

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Are you kidding me?
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 09:49:42 AM »
To the OP, if you were looking at an area that was $200, you got a steal, cause I paid $250. :chuckle:  Buuutttt....You get 2 cords of firewood, gallons of berries, mushrooms, some good fishing spots (if you are in areas with river access), access to more privatized camping areas and the chance to see those guys from that show Ax Men.  :chuckle: Like everyone has said, they bought it, it's their's, nothing we can do about it but, either pay or hunt somewhere else. Sitka BT and some others made good points; it is frustrating that some "areas" are secluded to specific hunt times, so if you have said tag and you have to wait to hunt an open unit within the paid area, it can be frustrating; but once again, we look back at, it is our choice and job to pre plan. I am on year 2 buying into drive passes, and also believe that limit access provides advantages and disadvantages. Who's got a couple million $$ that would like to spread some holiday cheer for the Hunt WA group, and buy some private land.  We shall call it: Hunt-WA's No Tell'um Timber Land. I'll go to Home Depot and start cutting keys and get some slick hang tags with a logo and pictures that make us look legit. I know there's a few of you retired Amazon/Microsoft/Boeing millionaires on here, come on... don't hold out on us... like my wife does on me!              "Make Hunting In WA Great Again!" -Not that it's terrible or anything....
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
i  still think its a bunch of *censored*  they own the trees not the land the land is own bye us the united states all tax payers pay for this now we all bitch know when they know they can get more cash out of us its kind of how the tribes feel im sure and know its hitting all us if we dont watch it it will be all  sold to china to pay the goverments det and so called private land owners cant pay the workers them enough  but give them keys to hunt so called private  land  when we got to walk threw the gates or ride  us the tax payers and yes there paying there *censored* too but come on make it all the same you hike in ten miles and it takes 20min or so to drive not stoping at all clear cuts in some spots lookig for some hoof disease elk that nobody can fix is *censored* we talk to some private land owner workers they said there not coming back to hunt im glad to here  that thay dont have  generation of all the hard hitting hunters that hunted in them woods lot of us do so f.... ill bye one permit and walk in from the top in to a walk in only thats been that way for a while and they cant find elk rd hunters but we all been paying lets fix the elk cancer and forget whos getting rich and fix the proublem ive heard wfg  screwed up again and destroyed 10 more or so percent of the elk in st helens  then they wanted its less then 70 precent know and was a good stack of elk im sure they will blame it on winter  kill and hoof disease maybe to much on my mind

HUH !

That hurt my head just trying to read it!
Wish Cryder would step in and respond.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »
i  still think its a bunch of *censored*  they own the trees not the land the land is own bye us the united states all tax payers pay for this now we all bitch know when they know they can get more cash out of us its kind of how the tribes feel im sure and know its hitting all us if we dont watch it it will be all  sold to china to pay the goverments det and so called private land owners cant pay the workers them enough  but give them keys to hunt so called private  land  when we got to walk threw the gates or ride  us the tax payers and yes there paying there *censored* too but come on make it all the same you hike in ten miles and it takes 20min or so to drive not stoping at all clear cuts in some spots lookig for some hoof disease elk that nobody can fix is *censored* we talk to some private land owner workers they said there not coming back to hunt im glad to here  that thay dont have  generation of all the hard hitting hunters that hunted in them woods lot of us do so f.... ill bye one permit and walk in from the top in to a walk in only thats been that way for a while and they cant find elk rd hunters but we all been paying lets fix the elk cancer and forget whos getting rich and fix the proublem ive heard wfg  screwed up again and destroyed 10 more or so percent of the elk in st helens  then they wanted its less then 70 precent know and was a good stack of elk im sure they will blame it on winter  kill and hoof disease maybe to much on my mind

HUH !

Or translate...
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline GodLovesUgly

• Pilgrim
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
The biggest problem with these fees that I can see, and one that I face in many many of the areas I hunt in my neck of the woods, is when private timber holdings have landlocked access to public lands.  Timber companies are stewards of the land, and are required to operate under very specific guidelines to protect Timber, Fish, and Wildlife for future generations.  I believe DNR should require easements through timber property to access public land holdings. Remember, it may be PRIVATE property that the timber companies own but they CAN NOT OPERATE without DNR permission (permits)!

To further this concept:  I don't think it should be legal or acceptable for the State of Washington to condone PUBLIC property (be it lakes or forest lands) being landlocked PERIOD.  There should ALWAYS be an easement access.  Time and time again I see housing developments popping up and land-locking public parcels and completely shutting off access. It is BS for us to pay for those lands only to have them closed off to public access.

That's my rant.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2017, 11:36:32 AM »
How much land are we talking about that is landlocked?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »
@Fireweed is really good at discussing this subject.  He has posted in the past lots of good info on the subject.  Here is a quote from Fireweed about access that I think is appropriate for this discussion.  I'll quote him because he can discuss this stuff way better than I......  :

Did weyco stop harvesting and selling trees? Why should they loose their tax break? It's as simple as a land use fee, it off sets the cost of maintenance to their land caused by the RECREATIONAL users.

The gentlemen in the article said he was "forced" to by a tag because he drew a cow tag. I call BS, do your homework. It wasn't a secrete, it was posted in every hunting regs. Weyco even agreed to lengthen the purchase date to allow procrastinator and or half assed protestors who said they weren't gonna buy a permit purchase a pass.

The real problem here is keeping the access fee down. At $150 a year that's very affordable and breaks down to $12.50 per month. If users really cared about having a place to recreate, they would put their energy into making sure a long term deal between the state and weyco would get signed to keep the fee around the $150 mark and not turn into all land leases. The alternative is they close all their land to public access and nobody gets to hunt. Don't forget, they own almost the entire west side!

The tax break isn't for harvesting and selling trees.   The reason for the tax break as outlined in state law is "so that present and future generations will enjoy the benefits which forest areas provide..."   Here it is (again)  http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=84.33.010  Raw materials is just one of those many listed benefits.  Providing recreational spaces is another.

Why should the government give them--or any business--special treatment for operating a business as usual?  You make and sell wigits so you automatically get a tax break?  If the government and the legislature (and in this case the citizens of the state) voted in tax breaks special for you, it is because wigit-making has  public benefits attached to it beyond what other businesses make and sell.    In this case the "benefits which forest areas provide" are beyond growing and selling trees.  Recreation is among those benefits, therefore a portion of the tax break compensates for recreational access.  Charging the public to access the land while still enjoying the full tax benefit is no different that charging the state for wildlife habitat or for each logging job.    If they just charged for vehicles, I could see a justification, but they are charging for all entry. Its simply Double-dipping.

P.S. the 5% excise tax on harvest only covers the property tax on the trees.  It is inaccurate according to law to state that the excise tax replaces the property tax on the land.  The above legislative link at the bottom.

May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline GodLovesUgly

• Pilgrim
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »
In some cases it is a lot.  Also, there are instances of public bodies of water that have become landlocked as well. 

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
In some cases it is a lot.  Also, there are instances of public bodies of water that have become landlocked as well.
I have seen a few small areas completely locked up by Weyerhaeuser, mostly in my areas they lock up the only short access to state and federal areas.  You can still get to them but it requires mapping and lots of research to figure out the connecting areas for 2 areas I am familiar with.

Also, had to mention your user name cracked me up!
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »

HUH !

Mine too....
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
Lmao!!! Is that cryders off spring!!!! By the way,,, i think weyco permits are fantastic. They are the only ones around here that know to manage there land.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2017, 03:46:38 PM »
After seeing all the trash out there, I’m surprised we’re allowed anywhere in the woods at all! Ridiculous out there!
    I actually like the idea of pay to play. Cuts down on the people who aren’t serious about being out there in the first place! I do feel bad for the folks that can’t afford the cost, but there is plenty of free access state and federal lands still out there..

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2017, 12:01:01 AM »
Sad but true $250 to hunt a formerly free area where I grew up.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:55 AM »
They own the land, but they do get huge tax breaks.  :twocents:
- No kidding - All this land grabbing on the backs of Gov't corruption

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2017, 12:14:56 AM »
The public does still have access, just for a small fee. I don't see the issue. If you own your own land, you get to make the rules.  :dunno:

Well, not exactly true. It's debatable whether the fee is "small," but besides that, the only people that get access are those who are online with a high speed internet connection at the designated time, and are able to purchase a permit before they are all gone, which sometimes is only about 3 minutes.
Ridiculous - My old man barely knows how to google! Timber companies buncha sick elitists.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]