collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any experiences with hysterical strength?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Any experiences with hysterical strength?
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »
Last weekend hunting whitetails in the Northeast, I got to experience an episode of hysterical strength, first time in my life.  Not nearly as dramatic as lifting a car off someone, but I was crossing a narrow basalt ravine on a downed ponderosa that seemed solid when the log abruptly snapped in two and fell down in the ravine.  I grabbed a 3” live alder with my fully extended right hand and was dangling about 15’ above rough rocks.  I was able to pull myself up one-handed, reached my left leg up fully extended to hook a rock on the far side with my toe, and lever myself up and forward onto the far side.  Tore some muscle in my left calf, right arm and shoulder are fine. 

I am definitely not capable of either maneuver under normal circumstances.  Have never been able to do a one-arm pull-up, even when I was young and very fit, much less 50, fat and with health issues.  Rifle, pack, boots and clothes I was approximately 280 pounds.

Curious to hear anyone else's experiences with this phenomenon, hunting or otherwise?
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Any experiences with hysterical strength?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:55:44 AM »
Wow! Congrats on the save.  Crazy to try to cross a 15’ high ravine tho  :yike:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
Years ago my kid got his arm stuck in a chair.  Pretty solid frame furniture.  Once he began to get a little hysterical from being "trapped" i simply removed one of the frame members. Didn't seem like i pulled that hard at all but the looks I got said differently.  Anywho, the chair was not repairable. Glad you made it out ok!

Offline YellowDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
Kind of strength mostly perseverance.

Many years ago I was about 8 and tagging along with my dad bird hunting along the columbia in late December. Outside temperature was no more than 20 Degrees. After a boring unsuccessful day as we were about 100 or so yards down a steep embankment from the car on our way out, I asked my dad if I could shoot his shotgun. He obliged and I fired it out across a 90%frozen over beaver pond. Well, his awesome pheasant hunting Brittney and our family pet must have been bored too cuz he took off across that pond to look for an invisible bird. About 30 yards out he broke through the ice and couldn't get back out of the hole. As he was struggling we went to the side of the pond that was closest to the hole. My dad unloaded the live round from his Fox double and leaned his shotgun up against a tree. He told me to find a big branch as he started stripping off his chest waders and layers of clothes. I found a decent branch about 6 feet long. He took that branch and started into the pond breaking ice to get to the dog. When he got in up to his shoulders he could do nothing with the branch and there was still about 7-8 feet of ice between him and the dog. In a last ditch effort he raised his arm out of the water and slammed it down on the ice. I watched as the ice slowly cracked out to the hole and freed the dog. Dad got the hell out of the water as fast as he could but he was cold.....REAL COLD. He threw on his coat, grabbed his waders and told me to get his gun and whatever else I could carry I've got to get to the car. We made it to the car (an old '79 or something ford Pinto) and cranked on the heat. Wet dog sitting at my feet in the front floor boards. Both of them shivering so hard I thought their teeth would crack or rattle out of their heads. After about 15 minutes just sitting there dad was warm enough to think straight again and able to drive home.
I think he figured mom would kill him if he came home without the dog but in hindsight he realized how foolish he had been. I'm glad I didn't have to watch my dad and dog drown that day.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
Wow! Congrats on the save.  Crazy to try to cross a 15’ high ravine tho  :yike:
You are absolutely right.  My other options were to backtrack and regain several hundred feet elevation, to go around the head of the draw, or trespass onto property where I didn't have permission to go around the toe of the draw.  I chose poorly.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
Glad you were not hurt too bad!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Did you spill your beer?

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
As humans we don't even come close to using all of the strength we possess. Couple that with adrenaline and bam....super human strength. It's an amazing thing.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
I lifted a 57 Chevy off of a friend who was being crushed by it, so that someone could pull him out.   All adrenaline.   We were trying to jack it off of him but the jack broke.  He screamed and I grabbed the truck and lifted it off of him.  Crazy!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
Adrenaline is an insane natural drug!! Our bodies are more capable than people give it credit for!! Glad you didn't end up worse for ware kind sir  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »
Yep if only our brains could get some of that ! 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]