collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pheasant Hunting for the first time this weekend.  (Read 2584 times)

Offline andr3wxmma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
Pheasant Hunting for the first time this weekend.
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »
A buddy and I are looking to hunt JBLM pheasant release either friday or this weekend. What can i expect? the hunting starts at 8 but around what time does if fill up?

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Pheasant Hunting for the first time this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:46:29 PM »
I hunted out at Ft. Lewis for a number of years, but haven't for the past few.

If it's anything like it was, you have to register ahead for an area, correct?

They limit the hunters in each open area, which cuts down a lot on overcrowding like at many public release areas. Hunters can still bunch up. Some guys know where the birds are planted- sometimes the guys who plant them hunt also.
I'd get there at least 1/2 hour before hunting time. This will let you see where hunters are staging and you can space yourself accordingly. I usually try to not be right in the middle.

I normally did pretty well out there. The cover and size of some of the areas varies quite a bit. Care to share which area you will be hunting?
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:14:10 PM »
I hunted out at Ft. Lewis for a number of years, but haven't for the past few.

If it's anything like it was, you have to register ahead for an area, correct?

They limit the hunters in each open area, which cuts down a lot on overcrowding like at many public release areas. Hunters can still bunch up. Some guys know where the birds are planted- sometimes the guys who plant them hunt also.
I'd get there at least 1/2 hour before hunting time. This will let you see where hunters are staging and you can space yourself accordingly. I usually try to not be right in the middle.

I normally did pretty well out there. The cover and size of some of the areas varies quite a bit. Care to share which area you will be hunting?
I havnt decided on what TA to head to yet. Any recommendations would be appreciated

Offline labsetters

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: PF, NRA,
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:13:45 PM »
Don't think Range Control updated the access roster for Pheasant Release today. Should be available on line tomorrow (I hope).

I called today to check which ranges would be available and was told the ranges will be 8, 10, 12, 13 and 21 East/West (as always, subject to last minute changes).

There will be a single release on each day, for all day hunting, 0800-1600, with no afternoon releases, on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No Wednesday release this week. With the all day hunt, one doesn't have to be there at 0800 with the majority of the crowd. Even though most birds will be taken within the first 30 minutes or so of the hunt, here are still leftovers, which you can try for later in the day, if you choose.

I was told Sunday is the last day of release for the season. Don't know how birds will be released each day. Depends on how many birds the releasers get from the state.

Must do the usual call in to register for the day and range/training area you want to hunt.

Don't know anything about ranges 8 and 10, as I have never hunted them. 12 is closest to main post and fairly wooded with lots of cover. 13 and 21 E/W are mostly open with grassy cover. All the areas make for reasonably good pheasant release hunts. My dogs don't care if they are release birds or not, and it is certainly closer than Eastern Wa. While typing this, our 4 month old pup has tried to destroy the chair I am sitting in. This weekend can't come soon enough for her to burn some energy and try to find more birds.

Hope this helps, and that we have less rain than predicted.

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:08:29 AM »
Don't think Range Control updated the access roster for Pheasant Release today. Should be available on line tomorrow (I hope).

I called today to check which ranges would be available and was told the ranges will be 8, 10, 12, 13 and 21 East/West (as always, subject to last minute changes).

There will be a single release on each day, for all day hunting, 0800-1600, with no afternoon releases, on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No Wednesday release this week. With the all day hunt, one doesn't have to be there at 0800 with the majority of the crowd. Even though most birds will be taken within the first 30 minutes or so of the hunt, here are still leftovers, which you can try for later in the day, if you choose.

I was told Sunday is the last day of release for the season. Don't know how birds will be released each day. Depends on how many birds the releasers get from the state.

Must do the usual call in to register for the day and range/training area you want to hunt.

Don't know anything about ranges 8 and 10, as I have never hunted them. 12 is closest to main post and fairly wooded with lots of cover. 13 and 21 E/W are mostly open with grassy cover. All the areas make for reasonably good pheasant release hunts. My dogs don't care if they are release birds or not, and it is certainly closer than Eastern Wa. While typing this, our 4 month old pup has tried to destroy the chair I am sitting in. This weekend can't come soon enough for her to burn some energy and try to find more birds.

Hope this helps, and that we have less rain than predicted.
Yes this was very helpful thank you.

Offline labsetters

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 05:42:47 PM »
You are welcome.

I was able to get signed in this morning shortly after 0600 for Thursday. Not many folks had signed up for the area I chose by that time. Maybe due to the lack of Range Control update of the roster for the holiday releases resulting in folks not knowing what areas are open or the predicted rainy weather. Usually these last days of the season are pretty busy. Hopefuly more folks got signed up as the day went on. Generally, the more people who sign up result in more birds for release from the state. Don't know how that will work for the next 4 days, as they may just get a set quota.

The key to get signed in for an area is to remember to use the AM pheasant release code and to use the appropriate code for AM hunting for the area you wish to sign in for, as there are only AM releases for these last few days. If not, you may get denied for the area you wish to hunt. Keep trying, as a fair number of folks should be able to sign up for these days.

Good luck to all, have a great time and be safe.

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »
You are welcome.

I was able to get signed in this morning shortly after 0600 for Thursday. Not many folks had signed up for the area I chose by that time. Maybe due to the lack of Range Control update of the roster for the holiday releases resulting in folks not knowing what areas are open or the predicted rainy weather. Usually these last days of the season are pretty busy. Hopefuly more folks got signed up as the day went on. Generally, the more people who sign up result in more birds for release from the state. Don't know how that will work for the next 4 days, as they may just get a set quota.

The key to get signed in for an area is to remember to use the AM pheasant release code and to use the appropriate code for AM hunting for the area you wish to sign in for, as there are only AM releases for these last few days. If not, you may get denied for the area you wish to hunt. Keep trying, as a fair number of folks should be able to sign up for these days.

Good luck to all, have a great time and be safe.
we got into area 10 and got 1 hen. The birds were in a group of like 6 and another hunter was the one who ran into it and who knows where the rest went after he jumped them. We'll be in area 12 tomorrow so hopefully we get a bird or two.

Offline labsetters

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »
pm sent.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]