collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Old wounds  (Read 8090 times)

Online nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Old wounds
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
Two events, one whitetail wounded in early archery killed in rifle, healed up, no sign of injury, nicked a lung, broadhead recovered.  One bull, long healed, broadhead against heart.  Tough critters.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »
I shot a Big Boar with my recurve a few years ago that about 8" of the back end of an aluminum shaft and fletching that fell out when I gutted him. Had a broken rib and a bone growth on his spine. I'm guessing it was from the year before but was completely healed
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »
I shot a buck one time that had what appeared to be a .44 mag bullet just inside the hide on the shoulder.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 05:34:43 PM »
I had a mangled broadhead in the shoulder blade of a cow elk 10-12 years ago.   Fully healed over.....   Kind of calcified around it.

My son had a cow 6-7 years ago with a copper solid barely stuck in the shoulder blade.    It wasn't very mushroomed and didn't penetrate the shoulder blade.  It was 30 caliber.   I wondered if someone took a LOOOOONG poke with his rifle.   Either that or it was from a really slow caliber.   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
Arrowed a cow elk years ago in the Blues in NE OR and she had a fairly large chunk of wood in her front leg. At about 1" wide or more and 2.0" long, I considered it large. I'm sure she felt it for a while.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline klickman

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 05:39:22 PM »
My wife shot a bull that had been shot by a core lokt type bullet in his shoulder. It was an older wound. It was a huge mass, like a ball joint, with a bullet chunks in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tule, the other white meat.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »
My brother shot a spike bull in the Colockum 3 or 4 years ago that had been shot in the face with a carbon fiber arrow. The broad head had completely wallowed out both nasal passages and the nose had caved in. He shot the bull at 411 yards. So he was surprised upon finding the broke off arrow.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
Ouch!!!!

Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »
Years ago I hunted a shotgun only area. Both bucks that I killed in that area had old buckshot in them from previous seasons. The pellets had worked their way out of the flesh and were just under the hide with no apparent impact on their health. One also had a shotgun slug hole through the ear that was the result of my missing the shot on the same buck a week earlier as he bolted as I pulled the trigger.

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »
Took a 5x5 bull in a timbered old growth canyon in the Siouxon unit during modern rifle. All by myself so I gutted, skinned and propped up the meat off of the ground. Brought the crew back in the am for the pack out. While I was splitting the sternum with my saw it just stopped sawing. Nothing...dug in there a found a four blade broad head stuck in there. No shaft and pretty much healed up with the bone kind of growing around it. No infection we could see.

Thought it would make a cool trinket so I carefully dug it out and laid it on a nearby log and we went back to work. Then a damn camp robber flew down, grabbed it a flew off and landed on an old growth branch above us and dropped the broad head onto it. As far as I know it's still there. Damn bird.
Can't we all just get along?

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
I shot a small 5x5 elk near Naselle when I lived there and before skinning it, I noticed a small hole in the shoulder with thick puss coming out.  I thought at first it may have been from a tick or something similar, but when I skinned it out I found a 50 cal. maxi ball.

A friend in Alaska butchers animals in the fall and winter and he gets moose from a certain guide and more than a couple times he has found small caliber bullets under the skin of these animals in the back or neck. Speculation is the guide pops them from a plane to slow them down for his clients.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline bullkiller

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
Shot a nice bull 5 years ago or so and when we skinned it out we found 13 22 bullets throughout the body.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
My buddy is an orthopedic surgeon and last year when he operated on me he found my wife's size 8 shoe lodged in my backside from her being to tired of my hunting trips!!!!!!!!!  Hee Hee !!!!  Sorry, I just had to go there!!!! :chuckle: :chuckle:
Zonk Volmer

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2017, 09:04:22 PM »
I shot the same antelope my daughter did two days later.  I had her scope messed up and she held perfectly but hit way low, nicked his leg.  I noticed it as he was hanging upside down from the hitch hoist by headlamp.

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »
The blacktail buck I shot this year had one eye gouged out. Had to be during a fight earlier this year. The eye was way shrunken up and sunken into his head.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter