collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Squid  (Read 3028 times)

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Squid
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
Going to give squidding a shot off the piers this winter.  I've never been before.  My understanding is you just need a flood light, a trout rod, and some jigs. 

I'm looking for a recommendation for what type of jig to use.  I am seeing lots of different colors and styles out there (ranging from a dollar each to about eight dollars each), but am not sure what is best for our squid.  Any advice?

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Squid
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »
Check out the posts on bloodydecks.  Lots of info.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
Try the Asian markets, some carry jigs. The longer skinny ones worked the best for me. Also put a floating bead above your jig so you can tell who's line is who's, that's for combat jigging in Seattle.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
Don't bother with the light, if you don't already have one (most piers have no electric access and generators are usually prohibited). The hardcore ninjas will be down there before you and will have battery powered lights set up.

In my experience, it seems that half the squid hit on green and half like red. Buy a few of both and see what the other guys are having luck with. I recommend going to Outdoor Emporium in SODO and have the guy at the tackle counter sort you out. I believe you can have up to 4 jigs on a line, but most people only use 1, maybe 2 at a time.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:17:35 PM »
Great, thanks guys.  Found tons of great info over at Bloody Decks.  Will hit up Outdoor Emporium for some jigs.

One thing I have not been able to figure out via google or youtube: what is the best way to store the squid before you get them home?  It looks like most people toss them in a bucket in salt water but I can't imagine they stay alive very long crammed in there.  Does anyone just put them right on ice?

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »
No water. Just throw them in the bucket. They die within a few minutes. It will be cold out, so I wouldn't worry about ice.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »
No water. Just throw them in the bucket. They die within a few minutes. It will be cold out, so I wouldn't worry about ice.
:yeah:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »
If Outdoor Emporium is running low on jigs check out Links on Rainier and King St., just north of the big Goodwill on Dearborn. They usually have a good supply and can help out on where is producing. 5 qt bucket with no water or ice will be fine. Don't worry too much about elbowing up, that's what everyone does and the more fisherman usually the more squid.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
If Outdoor Emporium is running low on jigs check out Links on Rainier and King St., just north of the big Goodwill on Dearborn. They usually have a good supply and can help out on where is producing. 5 qt bucket with no water or ice will be fine. Don't worry too much about elbowing up, that's what everyone does and the more fisherman usually the more squid.

My first thought was Linc's but Linc's is closed!  That place was a Seattle establishment for many years before I can remember.

Thanks all for the responses on storing squid.  Empty bucket it is.

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »

My first thought was Linc's but Linc's is closed!  That place was a Seattle establishment for many years before I can remember.

Are you sure it's permanently closed? They keep weird hours over there.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »

Are you sure it's permanently closed? They keep weird hours over there.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/closure-of-seattles-lincs-tackle-shop-a-sign-of-changing-times/

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 06:07:35 PM »
Check out Washington Squid Fishing Facebook page.  Lots of info on where they are hitting and a fair number of people selling jigs.

According to what I have been seeing there, it has been a bumper crop year.  Be prepared for combat fishing though, elbow to elbow.  Also, there seems to be a fair number caught during daylight as well.

Good luck, I might try to get out some evening this weekend.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 06:17:56 PM »
I haven't been squidding in a LONG time. Anyone know how it is going down in the Tacoma area? We used to go along Ruston and only caught a few but I got an invite from a coworker and am really thinking about going. I have to go out and buy a couple new jigs but I figure if I have time it might be worth a shot to put more food in the freezer. Also, Nice job on those squid! Those are bright and look delicious! Anyone ever caught any of the bigger ones? There were guys years ago that told us about them catching/hooking into a humbolt every now and then.

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
I haven't been squidding in a LONG time. Anyone know how it is going down in the Tacoma area? We used to go along Ruston and only caught a few but I got an invite from a coworker and am really thinking about going. I have to go out and buy a couple new jigs but I figure if I have time it might be worth a shot to put more food in the freezer. Also, Nice job on those squid! Those are bright and look delicious! Anyone ever caught any of the bigger ones? There were guys years ago that told us about them catching/hooking into a humbolt every now and then.

Tacoma should be doing well. I usually did pretty good on the Les Davis Peer on Ruston. I know there are humbolt in puget sound, but I've never seen one caught off a peer. You can occasionally get an octopus though.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 09:29:28 PM »
Hit the docks by the Ferris wheel downtown for a couple hours. Pretty slow for me (7 or 8 I think), but I obviously still have some things to learn. There were a couple guys down there just knocking them dead. Literally 10-15 more than us even though we were in the same spot with the same gear and I was trying to copy them as closely as possible.

Fun way to spend an evening. Looking forward to getting it figured out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]