collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: AT LT tires for a ford-F150  (Read 5840 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: AT LT tires for a ford-F150
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
I currently have the Falkens (275 65 18) but mine are P rated, I don't need or want a 10 ply. They have been great for me in the snow and on the logging roads. Great road manners wet or dry. Depending on the mileage I would likely but again. About 10k miles and they still look new. No issues to speak of.

I had the Coopers on my Xterra, they were ok. Didn't get any snow use since I got rid of the X when I got my F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do what you want, it's your life that is at stake, but I would not run P-rated tires on logging roads and risk a stone bruise that results in separation of the belts and a catastrophic tire failure on the freeway at 70 mph when the tire heats up on the drive home.   

If you remember back to the early days of the Ford Explorer they were equipped w/P rated tires and while the tire manufacturing process did result in defective tires it was the opinion of many, if not most, people in the tire world that Ford should not have equipped the Explorer w/passenger car tires and then marketed it as an off road vehicle.  Passenger car tires are cheap and they have relatively thin sidewall construction compared to LT tires (less rotating weight = higher gas milage) and I would never risk my life of the life of my family by running passenger car tires on a vehicle that will see off pavement use.
With all due respect your facts are wrong.

The tires for the explorers had a lower max psi stamped on them 27 or 28 instead of the 35, and nearly all the massive failures were in the south/west in the summer do to excess heat build-up.

I personally wouldn't want p rated tires on my half ton and certainly not 18". I'd likely drop down to 17" and run a heavier ply myself off-road especially if loaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Most of the tires w/defects were made in the Peoria plant where they happened to be having labor unrest at the time.  Coincidence?  Could be. 

Another thing that was discussed in the trade journals back when this was happening was that a high percentage of the tires that came apart catastrophically were on vehicles that had been "up in the hills" and were being driven home on the freeway in high temperatures. 

The tire industry insiders had a great deal of concern about Ford showing the Explorer off road in practically every advertisement and equipping them w/P-rated tires.  I read those articles and remember them. 

Like I said:  If you want to run P-rated tires on a vehicle you intend to drive off pavement, go for it. 

Offline Booner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
AT LT tires for a ford-F150
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:55 AM »
To each his own... Appreciate the concern  though. I won't put a 10 ply on a 1/2 ton truck.

We have had more than a few 1/2 tons in camp with well over a combined 500,000 miles on p rated AT tires (on and off road) and no failures. The good lord must have been over our shoulder all these years.

If the Falkens were offered in a 6 or 8 ply I likely would have gone with those for the fact that you get a deeper tread pattern.

P or LT debate aside... The Falkens have been great and the Coopers get great reviews, which is why I put them on the X.

Another similar tire is the Hankook Dynapro at-m , I considered that as well.

Don't know that you could go wrong with the Coopers or the Falkens.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 11:05:12 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2000/10/09/explorer-has-higher-rate-of-tire-accidents/0de9382a-2159-424b-8c5a-704a7b7fd982/?utm_term=.9c38ac437535
"One reason, Lampe suggested, was Ford's advice to inflate Explorer tires to 26 pounds per square inch, lower than Firestone's recommendation of 30 pounds and lower than the pressure recommended for other popular SUVs. The 26-pound level left "little safety margin," Lampe said. Heat that can cause a failure builds up faster in a flatter tire carrying a heavy load in hot weather. (Ford said 26 psi is safe but recently accepted Firestone's recommendation and increased the suggested tire pressure to 30 psi."

As some one who has wheeled around in the woods in a ranger with stock tires i agree they are not ment to hold up to the abuse of shot rock that you find on logging roads.

Stock tires are the MINIUM the manufacturer can get away with putting on a vehicle. Any vehicle that you can load up heavy would benifit from heavier weight rating tires. do your self a favor and look @ your stock tires and do some quick math of the capacity of the tires. Subtract the weight of the rig and that is how much you can put in the vehicle. people gear etc.

ANY tire that is run at maximum capacity can do so provided there are not minor problems. minor problems become apparent quickly. weight, speed, duration, and airpressure determine the life of a tire. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
To each his own... Appreciate the concern  though. I won't put a 10 ply on a 1/2 ton truck.

We have had more than a few 1/2 tons in camp with well over a combined 500,000 miles on p rated AT tires (on and off road) and no failures. The good lord must have been over our shoulder all these years.

If the Falkens were offered in a 6 or 8 ply I likely would have gone with those for the fact that you get a deeper tread pattern.

P or LT debate aside... The Falkens have been great and the Coopers get great reviews, which is why I put them on the X.

Another similar tire is the Hankook Dynapro at-m , I considered that as well.

Don't know that you could go wrong with the Coopers or the Falkens.

I had a single set and wouldn't ever buy another set of Hancook tires.   

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
Another vote for Cooper

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »
Just a follow up on the tires I decided to buy. I bought the Falken wildpeak a/t 3 and I'm very happy with them.  Used them on my WY deer hunt and they saw more than their fair share of rocky roads, near a foot of snow and lots of miles on compact snow and ice. They did great, better than any other tire I've used. I got the 10 ply version and there really quiet on the hwy. Only about 4,000 miles on them so far. At $158 a tire there a real bargain for an LT tire. 

Online C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »
We put some Open County A/T II 10 ply on the Tahoe before elk season. They did a good job...
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]