collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tripods  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Intruder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Tripods
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:50:31 AM »
Wasn't sure if I should post this on the Optics discussion or photography:

Anyone have a suggestion regarding good quality tripods for spotting scopes and cameras?  It seems to me a guy kinda needs 2.... a smaller one for the packing and a bigger one. 

I've got a little Nikon that costs about 40 bucks.  It's actually pretty good.  Doesn't have the quick detach feature though.  That seems like a nice feature if you're changing from 1 tripod to other but not essential.

I know you can spend a fortune on tripods just wondering if anyone's found a real value pod under the 100$ mark. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Tripods
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:57:18 AM »
I've got a bogen tripod with  a bogen adjustable head on it and it's a great tripod, but it's too big to be lugging around hunting and stuff.
check out this link
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Tripods&cat2=Tripod%20Legs%20%26%20Leg/Head%20Combos&cat3=Leg%20%26%20Head%20Combo%20for%20Still%20%26%20Video&Sterm=Bogen_Tripod&sid=1192553329617398
whoa...thats a big link...
they have some around the $100 mark that are probably smaller and lighter on up to a lot more money and it's a good product.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »
I found the monopod to be most useful for photography out in the sticks, so make that three you need.  Most spotters need a dcent sized tripod that you can be compfortable with for spending some time, yet be small enough to fit in a pack.  Nope, no great ideas for you.  I struggle with it alot.  I know stocking game with a tripod was a hassle and thats why I went for a monopod.   You loose alot of time setting up your legs and the animal usually doesn't stand there licking his chops waiting for you.  Also pay attention to the materials they are made of when purchasing them.  Some make LOUD noises when twanged with a limb, plus don't work so well inthe cold, and hard plastic breaks really easy.  I know I didn't answer your question, but maybe gave you some warnings to watch out for.  Good luck, and if you find a good one, let me know.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 12:52:52 PM »
I bought a Vanguard tripod that goes up to around 60". It has the quick detachable shoe, and the top of the tripod also detaches and becomes a window mount. I think it was only around $40 at my work.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »
It kind of depends on what your doing.  If it's for a spotting scope, there are a number of cheap alternatives that are light weight.  If it's for your camera, then there are some considerations depending on what type of equipment you have.  When I use to shoot professionally, I used many large lenses like a 400mm f2.8.  These lenses weigh 15+ lbs and you need a sturdy tripod or monopod for this type of equipment.  I suggest a Bogen 3021 as a nice sturdy tripod.  It is heavy if you hike with it long distances, so there are some new carbon fiber tripods.

As a general rule, the cheap tripods have the center column leg support.  I personally would shy away from any tripod with this cheap feature.  This is because these tripods can't get low to the ground.  I can't tell you how many times I've been staking out a big ram or buck while laying down on the ground with my camera and lens ready to go.  Additionally, the animals tend to think your less of a threat when you lay down and relax.  I would also shy away from monopods for photography.  They are good when you are shooting sports, as your shutter speed is usually set high to stop the action.  However, when shooting landscapes and such, depth of field is often more important and you must use a slow shutter speed and stop the lens down.  If you just have a point and shoot, you will not need a tripod for most photography.

By the way, I use a point and shoot for most of my kill shots.  I do not bring a tripod, but I make one on the spot when it's needed.  I simply cut a stick about the same size you would use if cooking a marshmellow over a campfire.  You can then thread the stick into the end of the camera's tripod mount and stick it in the ground.  It works great for small point and shoots.  Also, you bowhunters can thread a camera on your nock and stick your arrow in the ground.  Just remember to throw the nock out later.

If you want to get serious about photography, a good tripod is a must.  I know tons of professionals that use the Bogen 3021.  It's cheap (around $100 on the internet) sturdy, and bulletproof.  Ever wonder how those National Geographic photos are so sharp?  They got a good sturdy tripod (and good lenses).  I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but that is the photography side of the issue/answer.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 06:48:35 PM »
not really off topic....Great advice.

the biggest thing to remember with a spotter is to be able to be comfortable while scoping or you won't be there long.  The more steady the better.  Try to pan a hillside with a bad rotating head, or a light tripod that moves.  Step aside for a second only to have your scope leave an object because you want to show a buddy.  Hats off to these photographers that have all of their gear, (camping) then all of their camera gear as they head off into the deep woods.

Offline 280ackley

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:22:14 PM »
Has anyone tried or have a "HUNT-POD" tripod from Janssens Adventure Outfitters in Hillsboro OR?  I have been looking at them for a while now but haven't picked one up due to the cost ($150 and up).  They seem to work well and are light.  Just wondering if anyone is using them.
Life member: Washington Wild Sheep Foundation & NRA

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »
I scored a set of carbon fiber legs off flea bay and added a lightweight ball head. it is as light as the cheapest plastic/aluminum model you can find and as rigid as I need for my pf80ed spotter. my legs fold up small enough to fit in my badlands 2800 easily. I think I have 175 or so bux in the whole outfit.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 08:19:02 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 06:22:53 AM »
I just got a huge tripod for my birthday.  Looking forward to putting it into use this fall.    I wish I would have brought the tag in so I could tell you what size, what brand.  While I was looking I found one at sears that looked good for backpacking.  It went down to 9.5 inches, and expanded to 42 inches.  Obviously shouldn't bang it against any stumps, but I bet it would work for those lightweight jobs.

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 07:54:26 AM »
I have the Velbon Sherpa 600. It's aluminum and very sturdy.

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/sherpa.htm

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 08:05:45 AM »
I'm not familiar with it but the word Sherpa, should mean something....

My new tripos is the 7500 Platinium Plus Pro by Sunpak.  I believe it is mostly designed for video camera use.  I guess the 7500 stand for it expands to 75 inches tall.  thats very helpful whn oyu are 6'5".  I tought it might stand for 75 pounds as its a heavy bugger.  I guess it weighs 6 punds, so won't be going on any backpack hunts , bt it sure will be nice scoping up Idabooners big buck his fall, and hopefully with its "ultra smooth fluid effect panhead" it will get some rutting whitetails that I rattle in.

Offline hogsniper

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 11:29:53 PM »
I dont know if this helps anybody but i have used just the basic camera tripod for all my needs. We used them for days at a time in Iraq. When u get the adapters that come with it and attach it to you camera, spotting scope and whateve else u have you can use one or 2 tripods for many things at once.  We would have a padded half circle to shoot off of as well. It is the basic 40 dollar tripod, the expensive ones bust just as easy as the cheap if you are not careful so we always went with the cheap ones. If you want more info just shoot me a pm..take care and good luck. Justin

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 07:04:54 AM »
You guys are too rich for me! I opted for the elcheapo' walmart version for $15 bucks. Works great. I ran some camo duct tape over the legs, and all the guys at the range were asking where I got my tripod.  :chuckle: Could have sold them for $100ea right there...

The elcheapo works great for camera and spotting scope. Cheap enough to leave banging around in the hunting rig all year. No worries.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
how do the legs slide in and out with the tape on them?
i've got a cheapy smallish one i've been wanting to take but the legs are shiny...almost chrome.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal