collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Legal hunting land question - Puget Sound  (Read 10754 times)

Offline Duckhunter14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
Re: Legal hunting land question - Puget Sound
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »
I agree with finding a rocky shore. In my experience they stay on a rocky shore in a protected bay at night then fly out into more open water (still relatively close to shore) to feed during the day. Find a good spot between the two areas and they are very easily decoyed. Make sure everyone in the boat brings binoculars and only one person shoots. Often times it can be difficult to tell a hen harlequin from other sea duck hens, so be extra cautious. They often times group up as they buzz the decoys and killing two could happen, we try to shoot single drakes or wait for a really clear shot.

As mentioned above; killing one is not difficult. Finding the spot is. And its no surprise why, they can be tough to come by. After we killed our three in the boat earlier this year a banded drake backpedaled and landed 20 yards from the boat. That was tough!  :bash: But the rule on my boat is if you're not going to mount it you don't shoot one. No reason to just shoot one for fun  :twocents:. They are beautiful little birds and I love getting out once a year to target them. Even if I don't shoot.

Good luck in your adventure for the wood duck of the sea. People from all over the country come to the PNW and Alaska for a chance at one. Hope to see a success pic when you punch your one for the year.

*Also to reinforce what Loki mentioned...water swat them again if they aren't belly up. If they dive they're gone. And shooting from a propelled motor is illegal. Therefore making follow up shots on wounded birds very difficult.

Clint
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 12:44:49 PM »
Mind blown! Yes I just read that you MUST be anchored there. Which means you are touching the land below the water. So the point of that law is to not allow you to hunt by floating over the private land I guess. Kind of rude if you ask me, Im not trying to steal their land, I just want to shoot some ducks which weren't theirs to being with!
Actually,  I think the point is to keep guys from blowing through the rafts of birds more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
My original responses were thinking of South sound.

Good thing it doesn't apply out here since I drift shoot most of my birds....

Offline bigmike86

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
On drifting: How many lines do you have out and how do you keep them separated? Do you anchor to dofferent parts of the boat or have one anchor point and some type of spreaders?
"I love the infantry because they are the underdogs. They are the mud-rain-frost-and-wind boys. They have no comforts, and they even learn to live without the necessities. And in the end they are the guys that wars can't be won without." -Ernie Pyle

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
Mind blown! Yes I just read that you MUST be anchored there. Which means you are touching the land below the water. So the point of that law is to not allow you to hunt by floating over the private land I guess. Kind of rude if you ask me, Im not trying to steal their land, I just want to shoot some ducks which weren't theirs to being with!
Actually,  I think the point is to keep guys from blowing through the rafts of birds more than anything.

It was actually to keep people from skulling into flocks of snows, and drifting into the flocks. A very effective method used in other parts of the country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
On drifting: How many lines do you have out and how do you keep them separated? Do you anchor to dofferent parts of the boat or have one anchor point and some type of spreaders?
You don't need it for harliqui. 90% of the tide land owners that get mad are oyster/clam farmers or gun clubs. Too shallow and wrong terrain for harliquin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bigmike86

• Tracker
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »
Team,

Thanks so much for all your help. I shot 4 new species today that I have never shot before! What a day!

First I missed some scoters, so that was a bummer, but then I shot a random bluebill hen, and one each goldeneye drake! (Only had to chase one of them half way across the sound...tough birds...). Then I missed a redhead!!!! Dag nabbit! But I shot a redbreasted merganser to finish off the day. I have always wanted to shoot a goldeneye and I am so happy that I had so many birds decoy that I could pick out 2 drakes. What a treat that it was one of each type! Thanks again for all your help, specifically the people that PM'd me and gave me your super secret spots :)

-Big Mike
"I love the infantry because they are the underdogs. They are the mud-rain-frost-and-wind boys. They have no comforts, and they even learn to live without the necessities. And in the end they are the guys that wars can't be won without." -Ernie Pyle

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »
 :tup:

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »
 :tup:
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
Team,

Thanks so much for all your help. I shot 4 new species today that I have never shot before! What a day!

First I missed some scoters, so that was a bummer, but then I shot a random bluebill hen, and one each goldeneye drake! (Only had to chase one of them half way across the sound...tough birds...). Then I missed a redhead!!!! Dag nabbit! But I shot a redbreasted merganser to finish off the day. I have always wanted to shoot a goldeneye and I am so happy that I had so many birds decoy that I could pick out 2 drakes. What a treat that it was one of each type! Thanks again for all your help, specifically the people that PM'd me and gave me your super secret spots :)

-Big Mike
Redhead in the sound?

Offline bigmike86

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »
I'm not a waterfowl ID expert but it had a redhead with a blue bill. It swam into decoys so i got a pretty good look at it. Dont ask why I missed...super bummed...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]