collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Aid / Suvival Kit  (Read 2641 times)

Offline BBD87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
First Aid / Suvival Kit
« on: November 25, 2017, 03:49:45 PM »
Just curious what y’all carry in your packs for first aid and/or survival.

i.e. did you make a kit, if so what does it contain or did you purchase a kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: First Aid / Suvival Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
I bought one that I keep in the truck just because it was cheap and it can't hurt to have it. I'll get flack for this, but I think most first aid kits are pointless unless you're days away from civilization. Bandaids? Gauze? Tape? My pack has electrical tape and game bags in it.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 05:18:31 PM »
With the exception of quick clot (or something similar) and about 10 aleve / ibuprofin my pack carries everything I need without a special kit.  In the field you need to improvise....stick for splints, belt for a tourniquet, cloths for bandage, rope for secureing items, etc......no need for sterile dressings or bandages......In most cases, if the wound is bad and you cannot stop the bleading, you will likely perish / die in the field. 

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
With the exception of quick clot (or something similar) and about 10 aleve / ibuprofin my pack carries everything I need without a special kit.  In the field you need to improvise....stick for splints, belt for a tourniquet, cloths for bandage, rope for secureing items, etc......no need for sterile dressings or bandages......In most cases, if the wound is bad and you cannot stop the bleading, you will likely perish / die in the field.

:yeah:

Something in case of a headache, heartburn, or a small cut. Everything else improvise the 50-100 feet of paracord in my pack plus a Delorme in reach will help. Just remember all bleeding stops eventually, carry more supplies in the truck.  :)
IAFF #3728

Offline Larry S.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:03:07 AM »
If (like me...heart probs) you require or may need meds on a regular basis, be sure to have them in your kit. Then, be sure that everyone in camp knows where they are, how many/much to administer if you go down, and - more importantly -  how and where to administer them. For example, "one under the tongue every five minutes" is a lot different (and more pleasant) than one up the other end of the digestive system every five minutes. Just sayin'...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Think like a man of action. Act like a man of thought."
    - General James Mattis, USMC (ret)

"Better is the enemy of good enough."
   - Sergey Gorshkov, Admiral of the Soviet Fleet

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »
I pack a first aid kit with tourniquet, Quickclots, bandages, a few Xanax, tweezers, scissors, gauze, etc. I pack a survival kit which includes a small book on survival (keep your mind working), firestarter and lint/wax eggs, rubber tubing, whistle, cat food in pouches, and a few other things. All-in-all, it probably adds 1-1.5 lbs to my pack. Well worth it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
I believe the greatest survival threat is usually hypothermia. Being able to stay warm and dry for at least one night  is essential. Fire starters, tinder, and emergency bags are always with me.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »
I believe the greatest survival threat is usually hypothermia. Being able to stay warm and dry for at least one night  is essential. Fire starters, tinder, and emergency bags are always with me.

I don't carry much I am alone so chances of surviving a bad bleed or fall are slim, no one would be looking for me, so if I can't sort it out myself all the first aid junk in the world won't help.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »
I pack a first aid kit with tourniquet, Quickclots, bandages, a few Xanax, tweezers, scissors, gauze, etc. I pack a survival kit which includes a small book on survival (keep your mind working), firestarter and lint/wax eggs, rubber tubing, whistle, cat food in pouches, and a few other things. All-in-all, it probably adds 1-1.5 lbs to my pack. Well worth it.
cat food????
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »
cat food????

:yeah:   :dunno:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
Pretty minimal here, I take quick clot if running a saw or a Havalon, but other than that just a few things for foot care and a couple band aids and super glue.  For survival, I have a lanyard with a whistle, lighter, truck key and compass.  I also have a backup tiny knife and a few other things, everything for both kits easily fits in the lower pocket on my bino pack or a thigh pocket in my hunting pants.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »
cat food????

We use to carry red or green label cat/dog food as emergency only food.
The idea was, you would only eat it in an emergency because it tastes well like cat food, LOL

Kind of like Fritos as a fire starter. They work awesome as a fire starter, but I keep eating them .

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 05:52:00 AM »
Put a couple of Snickers in your survival kit and see how long they last.  :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 03:49:46 PM »

cat food????

We use to carry red or green label cat/dog food as emergency only food.
The idea was, you would only eat it in an emergency because it tastes well like cat food, LOL

Brilliant!

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
I carry a good first aid kit, mostly for use on others, for me I have two bandaids in my wallet(life long habit) I keep a can of dog food for Rocky and a couple bottles of water.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand