collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Skagit Island Unit  (Read 4820 times)

Offline RAA_IV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Skagit Island Unit
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:09:35 AM »
Did a little searching and couldn't find much on here about the Island unit in the Skagit area. I heard a lot of good stuff about it as well as some pretty insane stuff this past weekend but was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the basic info. For example, it sounds like people get out pretty early/late to get to a blind if they're all taken what are you supposed to do? Leave? Set up some layouts? Hide in some brush? Who has hunted there? Is it worth the effort/dedication to get a blind and are they decent blinds or basic open top rectangles like most of the quality blinds? Any other tips or advice is great thanks! 

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
Re: Skagit Island Unit
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:53:01 AM »
Open top blinds is all that is there, 15 shell limit though it seems most do not follow that rule. You have to hunt from the provided blinds from what I’m aware of but could be wrong. Be ready for sky busters and Guys blowing duck calls all day sounding like kazoos.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:27:43 AM »
It's wide open public hunting; you don't have to hunt from the blinds. If they are all taken just setup 40 yards from one like everyone else does. :rolleyes:

Scratch that, just use some common sense and ethics and you'll do fine.

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:37:46 AM »

It sounds like people get out pretty early/late to get to a blind if they're all taken what are you supposed to do?
The early show up time is a rumour. You can practically show up at shooting time and get a blind. I guarantee it.
...if I'm wrong about the show up time, like someone else said, just set up close to someone else. After all, it's not your fault they got out of bed so early!

Open top blinds is all that is there, 15 shell limit though it seems most do not follow that rule.
Rules are for everyone else man...it's like you expect me to work on my shooting in the off season and pick decent shots instead of blasting hail Marys all day.

I'm feeling picked on here.

Offline Duckgtr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
I'm not sky busting I'm stimulating the economy

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
Just hunt the Samish unit and you will know what it is like minus the boats.  When you anchor at Island, make sure you anchor both the front and back so your boat doesn't bang against the boat on both sides of you - guys tend to not like that much and some misbehave accordingly.

Last time I participated I got to the parking lot at 3 I think and wasn't the first guy there.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:50:56 AM by Stein »

Offline Man Tracker

• Hunter
    • none
  • Groups: TTOS, DU, Pheasants Forever
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
I'd recommend going to the island at about 10A the first time.  Walk around and take a good look at fields, crops, blinds, etc.  Some days the best hunting is late morn to early afternoon.  Make sure the boat is legal and yes, it is a 15 shell area.  Quickest to launch at the Skagit HQ but lots of folks launch at Conway. 

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 10:23:28 PM »
Watch out for the high water and floating logs.  They will sink a boat or knock you out of one.  If you come in and piss off the group next to you, go check on your boat as it may have floated away. 
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline RAA_IV

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:01:22 PM »
If you come in and piss off the group next to you, go check on your boat as it may have floated away. 

Thats kinda sh*tty.

It sounds like people get out pretty early/late to get to a blind if they're all taken what are you supposed to do?
The early show up time is a rumour. You can practically show up at shooting time and get a blind. I guarantee it.
...if I'm wrong about the show up time, like someone else said, just set up close to someone else. After all, it's not your fault they got out of bed so early!

I’m guessing there is some sarcasm there. Last weekend the parking lot was pretty empty all morning though as far as boat trailers go, definitely not 17 blinds worth. To me there’s a difference between getting there early (I.e 2.30 or 3 am) vs 11.30 the night before. I’m just curious what I should be prepared for. On that note 40yrds is kinda generous for me I’ll just put my dekes back in the boat and set up on the other side of their setup...

Offline hunt4life

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
There’s a lot of dip *censored*s out there!!! Been hunting out there for 25 years great place to hunt until social media took over! Every city prick south of Stanwood is there now!! All there fancy gear and can’t blow a call thank god we can’t use e callers in this state or there would be guys doing that out there! My advice stay away unless you have patience for internet duck hunters! Then again 10% of duck hunters kill 90% of the birds it’s the 90% of dip *censored*s you have to deal with! Hope your in the 10% range cause if you are it’s easy to kill birds out there! Had a guy set up 75 yards from me the other day told him he was too close he came over to tell me it was not to close because he was in a different blind total dummy!!! Good luck!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
Guys will pull your plug or untie your boat if they feel wronged.  Certainly they are in the minority, but it definitely happens and sometimes a guy isn't fluent with their unwritten rules and etiquette, especially in an environment with no apparent etiquette.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it anymore than I worry about parking lot break-ins, but just be aware.

A mid-morning or afternoon scout/hunt your first time is certainly a good idea.  There are also lots of other places to go if you have a boat.

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »

I’m just curious what I should be prepared for.

Honestly some days it's chill, other days its a mall parking lot. I've had low traffic Saturdays and 'where the hell did all these people come from?' Tuesdays. Just go, check it out, always have a plan B and C, and make the most of it.

Oh, it may have been slow this weekend because the gate was locked part of the time due to the flooding up river. Around Lyman there's been a lot of trees getting washed out as well as a couple of houses. I can't imagine how not awesome it would be to tangle with a full size tree in the dark in a boat.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
The birds don't use that island, samish unit is a killer place though.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
...samish unit is a killer place though.

What time should I be in the parking lot?

Offline RAA_IV

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »
Thanks folks sounds like an afternoon scout/hunt is in order I’ll check out Samish too. Maybe I’ll catch some of you out there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]