collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: TSA Traveling Tips  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
TSA Traveling Tips
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
I've never been fortunate enough to hunt out of state but doing so next week in Missouri with a client requiring plane travel. I've never traveled with any sort of weapon and would like to hear any travel tips with packing up my bow after having read the TSA requirements online.

Any issues with packing my Kill Kit (knives, replacement broadheads, etc) and checking it in? Do I need to declare knives as well as firearms?

I'm thinking about taking my sidearm but not sure it's worth it also having never checked-in a sidearm... would you?

Thoughts or experiences welcome.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: TSA Traveling Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
A bow and kinds are ok in checked luggage. Probably want a locked case.

I've traveled with a pistol. I just declared it put in a locked case had it inspected and picked it up at the other end. Had to have I'D to do so. Same thing coming home. Flew out of PDX SEA was one of the top airports for stolen guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »
A bow and kinds are ok in checked luggage. Probably want a locked case.

I've traveled with a pistol. I just declared it put in a locked case had it inspected and picked it up at the other end. Had to have I'D to do so. Same thing coming home. Flew out of PDX SEA was one of the top airports for stolen guns.

Probably among my biggest concerns - theft. I can lock my handgun case all day long but its just easier to grab the whole case from my checked luggage.... harder to take an entire bow case but possible.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »
Knives can be in checked baggage and do not need to be declared. Unless you have a compelling need, I wouldn't check a handgun. They tend to attract undue attention both from the airlines and TSA.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Holg3107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
Ive traveled multiple times with archery equipment. In fact I currently live in Argentina and have my bow with me (thread to come in March). Archery equipment is categorized as sporting equipment and has the same regulations as golf clubs, baseball bats, and fishing gear. Theres nothing to declare, you just put your bow in a hard shell bow case with TSA locks, tape your name, address and info on the front, and check it in just like a normal bag. When I brought my bow down to Argentina with me I actually just put it in my checked luggage, same with the arrows, knives, extra blades, extra knives, broadheads etc... Actually now that I think about it I zip tied 2 dozen arrows in a PVC tube to the outside of my bag. No questions asked, no big deal, just let it go an hope... Also this is one of those cases where I like to buy travel insurance for your trip. If you have 2k worth of archery equipment paying an extra $20 for trip insurance doesn't hurt.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 11:26:45 AM »
I just locked my pistol in the archery case. I bought ammo when I got to Arkansas never flown with ammo.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
I have flown with a handgun several times and it has never been an issue, just a slight inconvenience.

When you check in you will declare the firearm.  Most airlines have you open the case and insert a form you have signed.  Then, you typically take the case over to a TSA place and they have you wait while they do a screening on it - usually swabbing and testing for explosive residue or whatever the machine checks for.  On the other end, they usually have them in the oversize area where you have to show an ID to pick it up.

That said, all the above is how it should and usually does.  Sometimes I have to educate the airline person, particularly in Seattle, but it usually is fairly seamless. 

You can have ammo in the same case or another checked bag or suitcase, but it would need to be declared separately if in a different container than the handgun.  Ammo also needs to be in a factory box or reloading type box that is obviously made for ammo.  I always use a factory box to avoid any issues.

To minimize potential for theft, I put a locked case in my normal suitcase so you can't tell there is a firearm without opening it.  I use a normal pistol locking case and run the cable that came with it through the wheel handle part on the inside of the suitcase so they would have to either break it or take the whole suitcase which adds some level of extra protection.

Finally, make sure you are 100% fluent with the regulations on handguns where you are landing.  People have gotten into trouble in places like Chicago or NYC.  As a "worst case" option, make sure you are thinking about this if you get diverted from your original destination due to weather and land somewhere else.

Finally, a combo lock or case is nice as you can't lose the keys.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
Don't forget that airlines may have requirements that differ from TSA's. And then there are ignorant agents. I once had a Delta supervisor refuse to check a Tuff Pak gun case, because it looked like a golf bag.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Johnb317

• johnb317
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »
I've flown with my bow twice, with broad heads etc inside no problem. 
Per the rules I locked it with TSA approved locks.  Be aware that because it looks like a gun/bow case I've always had to get it from a special spot - not the regular baggage claim. In Seattle I had to show my id to retrieve it.

FYI firearms must be in a non-TSA locked case, and inspected at check in. 

Old enough to know better.
Young enough to go for it.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 03:25:42 PM »
Thanks all for the tips & feedback.

I'm waiting for my new bow case to arrive today with TSA approved locks but not yet decided on taking a sidearm or not.

If all goes well, I hope to get some meat in the freezer!

Offline Thehowler

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
I have checked my conceal carry sidearm many times on airlines, always inspected by TSA. Unloaded of course, locked in case, with loaded speed loaders. I’ve never had my ID checked at my destination, luggage at the normal carasole. The form they have me fill out is just placed on the top of the locked case in my luggage, and nobody has ever asked to inspect the actual gun.
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
Flying to WI last year with my bow, they basically tossed my case, even opening it upside down.   >:(  On the way back, I clearly labeled which side was up and that it was a bow not a firearm.  I don't think they even opened it. All of my knives and accessories were in the bow case.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
It is worth noting. The final lock on your gun case if you take your sidearm is to be locked with a NON TSA lock.  TSA is not to have any access to the firearm itself.  Nobody at all at the airport is to have access to the firearm and should not be asking you to open the case itself.  They will have you put the declaration notice inside the suitcase with it though if you pack it inside a suitcase which I highly recommend for a handgun.

When I traveled with just a handgun I did like Stein.  Locked hardcase inside a normal suitcase with the rest of my clothes.  The locked case was locked to the suitcase frame.  TSA opened the suitcase and swabbed a few places, but never even asked to get inside the locked guncase.  Same with long-guns, the locks are to be NON TSA.

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
Just make sure it gets on the same plane as you.  Had clients fly into Great Falls this year from Sea Tac, they checked in 6 guns in 3 cases.  Two of the cases (4 guns) did not arrive. This was a non stop flight.  The guns were left sitting in Sea Tac.  They were flown out the next day and a Alaska Airline employee had to drive the guns up to the Highline for our clients.  Two hour trip each way.  I was very shocked that the guns were left in this day and age.

Offline Thehowler

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 08:56:54 PM »
Yep, like that
MAGA, Never give up.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]