collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Request for information about certain breeds  (Read 10980 times)

Offline jetjockey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Request for information about certain breeds
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »
This one is balls out for multiple days non stop... doesn't get tired. It's rough trying to even keep up with the dog. The dog also damn near swam to anacortes from bayview chasing a raft of ducks.

Balls out until you put a GPS on it.  You win though.  Obviously we are talking about a GSP that is far superior to the best GSP’s in the country.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »
 :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Done?

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »
No...... plus his dog does all this while wearing a camelback full of beer....
"real dogs have beards"

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »
Yes and No!  The best GSP’s in the country often slow in an all out hour.  Hunting is a paced sport, while 1hr trialing is balls to the walls, lay it all on the line or get picked up sport.  I’ve seen dogs that could “hunt all day”, and I wouldn’t own one.  Why?  Because there’s not a dog in the country that can hunt all day at the pace that I want.  They ALL get tired!!!
I get 6.5-7 hours out of my GSP. HE paces himself after the first few hours, then get’s methodical. We also hunt primarily Chukar and there is no need for a fast paced dog hunting wild Chukar.  I am more concerned about his pads over that time. Most real Chukar dogs will figure out the pace thing after a few good years on the hill.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2017, 07:00:07 PM »
How many miles does your dog cover in that 6-7 hrs, and what’s their average speed?

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
Dunno, have not switched over to a GPS style collar. Don’t take this the wrong way...we climb some decent terrain and am not concerned with the speed, rather the consistency and quality bird scenting ability. I am 45 and have been doing this for quite some time, from California, Arizona, and the State of Washington. I have had dogs in 95 degree weather and 10 degree weather, there are a lot of factors that play into
the stamina card.  Hunting flat terrain also makes a huge difference as I am sure you would agree.  Field trial dogs are obviously a different breed and from what I have seen could not hack a full 6-8 hour hunt at the same speed.  One thing is for certain, with out boots their pads will be shot for the next day.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2017, 07:35:24 PM »
What is a “field trial” dog, and how do they differ from a hunting dog?  I’m always amazed when people say things like “field trial dogs are obviously a different breed, but from what Ive seen, could not hack a 6-8hr hunt at the same speed!”   

The reason I ask about a GPS, is because GPS’s become truth tellers.  Kind of like the invention of laser range finders when big game hunting.  It’s amazing how those 500 yard shots quickly become 250-300 yard shots.  The same thing happens with those huge running dogs that range out to 600-800 yards.  Put a GPS on the dogs and suddenly they become 250-350 yard dogs.   When someone tells me their dog can go balls to the walls all day, I always ask what their GPS says.  Because suddenly “balls to the wall” becomes a slow trot.

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »
Agree on your last paragrah! 

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
Well when I look at my Gps most chukar hunts I personally cover close to 15 miles. The dogs easily by common sense cover atleast 20. That's in basalt cliffs and lots of elevation gain and loss. Like merkelman said, you better boot your dog cause the pads will be hamburger after day 1. From frozen ground with snow to blistering hot days. Much different than a field trial.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
Well when I look at my Gps most chukar hunts I personally cover close to 15 miles. The dogs easily by common sense cover atleast 20. That's in basalt cliffs and lots of elevation gain and loss. Like merkelman said, you better boot your dog cause the pads will be hamburger after day 1. From frozen ground with snow to blistering hot days. Much different than a field trial.

Not really much different, especially since many of the Western trial grounds are in chucker country.  But that’s neither here nore there.....   So again I ask, what is a “field trial” dog?  I’ve foot hunted over All Age National Champions that all get guided over.  Are those “field trial” dogs or hunting dogs?   How does hunting on frozen ground and snow to blistering hot days differ from trialing in those exact same conditions?    Btw.  Booting dogs in trials is pretty common.  But toughening up dogs pads is even more common yet, especially when running on the grounds that have shale and cactus.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
I'm looking at getting my first gun dog and would appreciate any advice from owners of the following breeds: (1) English setter; (2) Brittany; (3) Irish red & white setter; and, (4) English springer spaniel.  I'm only planning on hunting upland, no waterfowl. 

Also, if anyone is out hunting in the next few weeks, and doesn't mind me tagging along to watch your dog(s) work, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.   

;)
Lead em if they're running.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY