collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Secondary Blacktail Rut?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Secondary Blacktail Rut?
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:39:10 AM »
 So.... Of course the main part of the rut on my cameras was the 4th-12th. Saw lots of action, bucks I've never seen before or even had pics of. So what i have read is that the secondary rut will start 28 day's later. Is that accurate? What do y'all think?
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Re: Secondary Blacktail Rut?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
Yea its in there somewhere. Depends on the does, as some even say theres later cycles :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »
I find with muledeer and whitetail the cycles are closer together.  Closer to Thanksgiving for mules being when it starts to peak again.   My reasoning to justify what I see....the rut is a bellcurve, its not like everyone fires during the peak.  Bucks slow but don't come to complete stop.   There isn't a dead gap in between......Whitetails start later therefore goes later. 

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
Last night we watched a 2 point blacktail chasing a doe back and forth across hwy 2

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »
Last night we watched a 2 point blacktail chasing a doe back and forth across hwy 2

I'm there with you. I see lots of small bucks. I had 8 bucks in front of my blind last friday all in the last 45 min of daylight. But all my big boys have seemed to disappear. When they were in "peak", there were 3 to 5 big bucks following a single doe. And it was happening at the same time on different parts of our property.
 Last year there was an early snow in the beginning of December.  I remember walking through the woods and being able to smell the rutty bucks that were in the area. About 30 min later I rounded a corner and a beautiful 5 point had his nose in her sweet spot. And being on a first time muzzy hunt. I did something wrong and my gun wouldn't fire. So I'm hoping to hit that timing again. :dunno:

I swear...... these Blacktail are the hardest animal I have ever hunted for. :bash:
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »

I'm there with you. I see lots of small bucks. I had 8 bucks in front of my blind last friday all in the last 45 min of daylight. But all my big boys have seemed to disappear. When they were in "peak", there were 3 to 5 big bucks following a single doe. And it was happening at the same time on different parts of our property.
 Last year there was an early snow in the beginning of December.  I remember walking through the woods and being able to smell the rutty bucks that were in the area. About 30 min later I rounded a corner and a beautiful 5 point had his nose in her sweet spot. And being on a first time muzzy hunt. I did something wrong and my gun wouldn't fire. So I'm hoping to hit that timing again. :dunno:

I swear...... these Blacktail are the hardest animal I have ever hunted for. :bash:
pull the nipple out in the morning before you leave the house and make sure it's clean, never reuse a cap either, always put a new one on  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »

pull the nipple out in the morning before you leave the house and make sure it's clean, never reuse a cap either, always put a new one on  :tup:
I hope that was my problem. I did use the same cap for about 2 weeks.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
Quite possibly the main reason BT bucks are running around trying to breed does 'out of the rut' is because there aren't enough does to breed.
I think my reply need s whole new thread though.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »
I watched a mid sized buck a couple days ago, run the does two yearling all over the place, no they are loners, and he has been with her for two days, following her every where.

After he chases her yearling off, does it force her to come into season?
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 06:21:54 AM »

are you using pellets or loose powder? And yeah never use the same cap, once I decap it gets tossed!!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 07:45:01 AM »

are you using pellets or loose powder? And yeah never use the same cap, once I decap it gets tossed!!
3- 30 grain pellets. My gun seems to be more accurate with less powder. I tried up to 150 grains, it was shooting a 6 inch pattern at 100. Not cool.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »
Quite possibly the main reason BT bucks are running around trying to breed does 'out of the rut' is because there aren't enough does to breed.
Could be. I have roughly 1.5 bucks to 1 doe on the property.  I don't know why. Last year we had a lot of cats. But only one hanging around this year.
 Another thing.... My wife and I walk the property almost everyday, all year long. These deer don't mind us at all. In fact 3 of the does next to the house let us pet them. Little bucks will let us walk only a few feet from them. And I have only harvested 3 deer off the property in 5 years. So why are the big boys so freaking hard to catch on there feet? What makes them so anal compared to the rest of them? It just dosent make any sense to me......
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
He won't live long when the slope dopes start traveling up and down the highway
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »

Around the area I hunt, this seems to be the case this year. Every doe has 2-3 bucks in the immediate area.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »

Around the area I hunt, this seems to be the case this year. Every doe has 2-3 bucks in the immediate area.

In my mind, the  (observed) buck to doe ratio is skewed for two reasons: 

- Lack of hunting pressure has allowed the buck to doe ratio to reach near equal proportions - 1/1.  It will likely never go higher than one to one.  Unbred does in the first couple of estrus periods (low buck to doe ratio) tend to produce buck offspring as a compensatory mechanism that should produce more bucks for the population.  Sounds like you're pretty close to max bucks per doe.

- Bucks are attracted to the increased activity and scent that a doe experiences just prior to her fertility phase.  A buck won't hang with a doe if she's not showing signs of getting hot, they go find one that is.  When there's a high buck to doe ratio, it makes sense to me that multiple bucks all hang with the hottie who's close to giving it up.  All the pregnant and in-between estrus period does are being boring and just sitting around at home.  Sounds like high school, huh?
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]