collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bloody effluent  (Read 4156 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: bloody effluent
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 06:49:28 PM »
BTW, I'm not saying pumping nasty crap into our wonderful waters is in any way a good thing.....

I don't buy that, did you see all the fish feeding on those salmon chunks?  I was thinking about anchoring there  :chuckle:

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 07:01:26 PM »
Fish/game farms should not exist. Proper management of what wild stock remains needs to be the answer.

Wild organic fish and game. No steroids, no hormones.

Pretty clear IMO
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »
Fish/game farms should not exist. Proper management of what wild stock remains needs to be the answer.

Pretty clear IMO

Same could be said for all farming from agriculture to aquaculture and everything in between. There's always a compromise.  Agriculture lands used to feed the world once fed millions of bison. 

fact is there's a lot of mouths to feed, so sacrafices must be made.  We cannot live off the land eating nothing but wild grass seeds, venison and wild salmon.   That's a pipe dream.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »

Pretty clear IMO

There are no steroids or hormones or genetic engineering with farmed Atlantic salmon, this is part of all of the misinformation out there.  People just latch onto someone's talking point about something else (beef, chicken, pork, pretty much all terrestrially commercially farmed animals) and stick it somewhere else.

Organic?  Have you seen what is found in the tissues of wild seafood? Antibiotics, depressants, birth control medication, mercury, PCBs, etc. none of which are intentionally given to them. I'd be very interested to compare a tissue sample of farm raised Atlantic salmon and a salmon from the Nisqually River to see which had actually "healthier" meat.

Let's face it, people like to eat salmon.  There is no possible way to manage "wild" salmon in sustainable numbers to feed (no pun intended) the demand for salmon. I would say that, like oil tankers, net pens should require a double layer of protection (netting).

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
Being from rural Alaska, it’s not a pipe dream.

I consider myself lucky to not have had beef until the age of 18. It’s too bad a greater percentage of the worlds people can not experience that way of life.

Elders consistently live to be 100+ years old and diet plays a big part.

I am glad in a way that the net pens failed this past summer, the big corporations are under the microscope now.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 07:25:36 PM »

Pretty clear IMO

There are no steroids or hormones or genetic engineering with farmed Atlantic salmon, this is part of all of the misinformation out there.  People just latch onto someone's talking point about something else (beef, chicken, pork, pretty much all terrestrially commercially farmed animals) and stick it somewhere else.

Organic?  Have you seen what is found in the tissues of wild seafood? Antibiotics, depressants, birth control medication, mercury, PCBs, etc. none of which are intentionally given to them. I'd be very interested to compare a tissue sample of farm raised Atlantic salmon and a salmon from the Nisqually River to see which had actually "healthier" meat.

Let's face it, people like to eat salmon.  There is no possible way to manage "wild" salmon in sustainable numbers to feed (no pun intended) the demand for salmon. I would say that, like oil tankers, net pens should require a double layer of protection (netting).

Antibiotics contain steroid compounds.

Yellow mount is treated with antibiotics.

I don’t see where the confusion or misinformation is?
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
And all of the pharma that is dumped into puget sound is disgusting.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »

Pretty clear IMO

Antibiotics are not, nor do they contain steroids.  Antibiotic use in aquaculture, is, as far as I have been able to determine, regulated to only being used to actively treat a condition unlike the other farming where it can be used simply to help fatten up animals like chickens, pigs or cows.

Yes, yellowmouth is treated with antibiotics, so what?  You have not given any proof, just more misinformation.  Are you against farming animals of any kind? At least be consistent.....

This we can agree upon.

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »
Loki.

I do not present misinformation. I base my thoughts and opinions on research. I would invite you to do the same sir.

Yes I am against farmed fish.

Where do you stand? Are you in favor of proper management of wild stock or farming/hatchery raised stock?
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »
So, we should wait until there is evidence of something catastrophic like cross-breeding or introduction of some disease and then say "whoops, sorry about that looks like there was an unintended consequence?"  Look at the trouble we have with our fisheries and ask how many times we are willing to roll the dice so Costco can have a full case of cheap artificially dyed pink salmon?  Season after season are closed and one little hiccup would be unbelievably bad.

I would say we can simply look at any other operation that packs tons of animals into an artificially small place and then feeds them whatever is cheapest at the time.  Head to a chicken place or a big feedlot out of Amarillo and I can learn all I need to know in one sniff.  There is a reason it is illegal to post photos of those joints.

If you want farmed fish, put them on land, it's not worth the risk in my opinion.  The idea that we allow it until there is a scientifically proven problem that is 100% documented and proven through lawsuits and appeals and cannot reverse the damage seems foolish.  If you want to eat great salmon, buy a license or pull out the debit card and pay fair market price.

At the end of the day, nobody can say it is safe, the best they can say is that nobody (we acknowledge) has found a problem (yet).

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »

Pretty clear IMO

Antibiotics are not, nor do they contain steroids.  Antibiotic use in aquaculture, is, as far as I have been able to determine, regulated to only being used to actively treat a condition unlike the other farming where it can be used simply to help fatten up animals like chickens, pigs or cows.

Yes, yellowmouth is treated with antibiotics, so what?  You have not given any proof, just more misinformation.  Are you against farming animals of any kind? At least be consistent.....

This we can agree upon.

The topic is farmed Atlantic salmon. I have been consistent with the topic. I only offered my experience with farm raised beef as part of my background.

I can see we will agree to disagree on farming Atlantic salmon in puget sound.

Good day.
Spider 2 Y banana

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal