collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spotter Questions  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Copperwood.kennelsWA/
    • Copperwood Kennels
Spotter Questions
« on: November 29, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
Hey Everyone, I looked back a couple pages and could not find my questions so if this has been asked, I apologize in Advance.

I am looking to get a new spotting scope. I am looking at Swarovski and Leupold. I’ve crossed off Maven and Vortex. The Maven is around the same price as the Swaro and from what I have read online, the Swaro edges it.   I have owned a dozen vortex optics and there’s just not for me. 

My question is has anyone used their newer HD Gold Ring Spotters? I’m trying to figure out if the difference in glass is worth the extra money. I don’t mind spending the extra but I want to make sure it’s worth it. I’ve looked at one in the store but it’s hard to tell the difference when it’s bright and you can only see a few hundred yards outside.

I’m not concerned about weight and the scope will get used a lot for hunting and shooting.

I have the ELs and I love them. So I’m leaning towards Swarovski. All my rifle scopes are Leupold. Any advice would be appreciated.
Copperwood Kennels
Lone Duck Outfittes Prostaff
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
Re: Spotter Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
Hey Everyone, I looked back a couple pages and could not find my questions so if this has been asked, I apologize in Advance.

I am looking to get a new spotting scope. I am looking at Swarovski and Leupold. I’ve crossed off Maven and Vortex. The Maven is around the same price as the Swaro and from what I have read online, the Swaro edges it.   I have owned a dozen vortex optics and there’s just not for me. 

My question is has anyone used their newer HD Gold Ring Spotters? I’m trying to figure out if the difference in glass is worth the extra money. I don’t mind spending the extra but I want to make sure it’s worth it. I’ve looked at one in the store but it’s hard to tell the difference when it’s bright and you can only see a few hundred yards outside.

I’m not concerned about weight and the scope will get used a lot for hunting and shooting.

I have the ELs and I love them. So I’m leaning towards Swarovski. All my rifle scopes are Leupold. Any advice would be appreciated.

Apparently 12 of them are for you!  :chuckle:

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »
If it’s not too heavy don’t discount the meopta/cabelas branded meopta offerings. They can be had for 1300-1500 and are head and shoulders above anything in that price range.

Offline GoldenRing270

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »
I haven't used the HD gold ring spotter but I have the non HD version. It is very clear and I doubt that the HD would make a huge difference. I used to have a swaro spotter but I learned the hard way that they don't stand behind their product the same way as Leupold. If you drop a swaro and it needs repaired you have to pay for the repair. Great glass but I sold it and from now on binos, spotter, rifle scopes, and rangefinder, Leupold is all I own. I miss the swaro every now and then when scouting but for hunting purposes I like the lighter more compact Leupold. It may not pick out eyeguards at 2 miles away but if its a big framed mature buck during hunting season I am going after it anyway. 

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »
I have the non HD 12-40×60 Gold Ring. I feel it has been a great scope. I do wish I would have bought the HD version not because I think it is that much better but it would have satisfied the urge I have now of wanting to upgrade. At 37 oz. It is considerably lighter than anything in its class.

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Hunter
    • Copperwood Kennels
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:19:31 AM »

Apparently 12 of them are for you!  :chuckle:

Haha that’s fair. I’ve tried quite a few items because their warranty is awesome. They’ve just never impressed me. I use them on my ARs and they work well enough but I would rather pay for something better. 
Copperwood Kennels
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
I have the non HD 12-40×60 Gold Ring. I feel it has been a great scope. I do wish I would have bought the HD version not because I think it is that much better but it would have satisfied the urge I have now of wanting to upgrade. At 37 oz. It is considerably lighter than anything in its class.

I worked a show or two and got my old 12-40x60 GR from Bob Maschmedt when they first came out and still consider it the best big game hunting scope on the market due to its excellent portability for its size combined with pretty good optics.  What the upgraded glass will do for you is deal with fringing and color shifts, which are very important to birders, but not usually as concerning to hunters.  I have used our Vortex Razor 85 next to our 12-40 Leupold Gold Ring and a buddy's big Swaro, the big Swaro has a very slight edge in resolving power.   

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Hunter
    • Copperwood Kennels
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
How far are you guys looking out with the 40x?
Copperwood Kennels
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
I have the GR HD 12-40x60. The HD is a wee bit better. I don't think it's worth $200 more under most circumstances but if you can afford it, go for it.

It's usable to about 30x under most light conditions. At 40x the exit pupil is only 1.5 mm.

Considering that all optics are a compromise of one thing or another, these scopes are hard to beat. I use mine far more than the 80x Swarovski I have.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline hughjorgan

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
Just curious to why you are comparing an alpha glass such as Swarovski to leupold. Why aren't you looking at other alpha glass such as Leica, Zeiss or Kowa spotters?

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Hunter
    • Copperwood Kennels
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »
Just curious to why you are comparing an alpha glass such as Swarovski to leupold. Why aren't you looking at other alpha glass such as Leica, Zeiss or Kowa spotters?

That’s a good question. If I’m going to spend top dollar then I’m going to buy the Swaro but if the Leupold is “Good enough for most things” then I’m going to save a bit and go with that.
Copperwood Kennels
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
How far are you guys looking out with the 40x?

1 to 3 miles.  At under a mile ( or 2 depending or cover) I stick with 25 power,  more than 3 miles can bump up to 50 power. 

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »
I would say it depends on how often you will be using it. If your hunting Deer and Elk the Leopold is more than efficient. But in my opinion if your guiding a Goat hunter and a 1/2" means quite a bit go with the Swarovski.     
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:55:47 AM by White Pass Outfitters »
KD

Offline Buzz2401

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
Just bought a Razor HD. Hope I'm not disappointed, really don't want to have to buy again.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 01:08:19 AM »
We have a Razor 85.  It is an excellent scope. It has been used right next to Alpha scopes from Kowa, Swaro, Leica etc and is pretty close in performance. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]