collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SO Cimeron Queastion  (Read 1683 times)

Offline grimace

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
SO Cimeron Queastion
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:29:17 PM »
For those that have this tipi, do you wish you purchased a larger one, maybe a 4 or 6 man or the Redcliff? I am looking at getting one of these for my son and I to do a back country hunt next year and some snow camping. I will get a stove just not sure which one yet.

I appreciate your input...

G.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:07:18 AM by grimace »

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: SO Cimeron Queastion
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »
Tagging along.

I’ve started my research on lightweight backpack tipi style tents also. Have been looking mostly at the Cimarron. I was messaging with a member today about it. He advised plenty of room for two with a stove and gear.

I’m also looking to use this tent in solo applications also. If you’re always going to be splitting the load and have two people, the 4 man tipi is only a little over a pound heavier. More room and 6’10” over 6’ in the cimarron.

Looking forward to hearing what people have to say!

Offline grimace

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:03:56 AM »
Looks like we are on the same page Wolfdog.

I discussed with Dustin at SO about the 4 man,  a nest takes up a far amount of room in the 4 man, but the added height would be nice. I'm only 5'8" but it would be nice to stand up in a tent for a change. Then we got to talking about the Redcliff and the 6 man. Now my head is spinning. Like you another member has assured me the Cimarron is just right for 2 people and a stove in the back country.

I'm 80% there but I would still like other peoples opinion.

G

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:48:54 AM »
With a stove, dry firewood pile, wet firewood pile, clothes drying area consuming the center of the Cimarron.....you're going to be sleeping close to the walls if two people in harsh weather.  With the shorter height, less sloped walls, and no liner option.....condensation buildup on the walls every morning will be your nemesis.   If they sold a liner for the Cimarron I'd say go for it.....but....

If you're thinking you'll do more wilderness trips for two people in harsh weather, I'd suggest stepping up to the Redcliff or 6-man.   A pound heavier tipi is the least of your pack weight worries on a weeklong snow hunt.  The 6-man and Redcliff have the optional liners which block out the condensation well.   And these setups offer the taller height and ability to stand up in the tipi and provide extra floor space.   

If 95% of your trips are just summer, archery, and early October hunts then the Cimarron probably makes sense.  If you're serious about foul weather trips, the Redcliff or 6-man with liners are better options in my opinion.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
^^^ this is good advice

Offline grimace

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:23:38 AM »
With a stove, dry firewood pile, wet firewood pile, clothes drying area consuming the center of the Cimarron.....you're going to be sleeping close to the walls if two people in harsh weather.  With the shorter height, less sloped walls, and no liner option.....condensation buildup on the walls every morning will be your nemesis.   If they sold a liner for the Cimarron I'd say go for it.....but....

If you're thinking you'll do more wilderness trips for two people in harsh weather, I'd suggest stepping up to the Redcliff or 6-man.   A pound heavier tipi is the least of your pack weight worries on a weeklong snow hunt.  The 6-man and Redcliff have the optional liners which block out the condensation well.   And these setups offer the taller height and ability to stand up in the tipi and provide extra floor space.   

If 95% of your trips are just summer, archery, and early October hunts then the Cimarron probably makes sense.  If you're serious about foul weather trips, the Redcliff or 6-man with liners are better options in my opinion.

This is exactly what I was wondering about. Our first hunting trip will be early fall, and I am planning to do some snow camping to see how that goes.  I will be using a nest,  (I really don't like mice running up and down my sleeping bag like a race track) that is going to take up quite a bit of space. My order was on hold but I received a shipping notice yesterday so I guess the decision has been made for me. If I like the floorless concept maybe I'll step up to a 6 man or Redcliff.  In reality it seems one shelter cant do all things unless your willing to pack extra weight.

Thank you everyone,

G.

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
If you're running the nest with the Cimmarron, you can make your own "liner" and just attach it to the nest instead of the tipi walls like the normal 6/Redclliff/8/etc. tipis do.   Could even buy their smallest liner and modify it to fit your nest.   That would protect you and make the Cimarron work similar to the others.   

Just an idea. 

Offline grimace

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »
If it becomes a issue I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

G.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal