collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cabelas Big Horn tent  (Read 4889 times)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: Cabelas Big Horn tent
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »
 :yeah:  all else being equal I would choose a full wall tent. Thats my disclaimer, i have stayed in both in mulitple seasons and weather.  In junk weather a full canvas tent is the way to go. However,  I lived in my bighorn for 3 weeks straight in september and preferred the bigborn in every way. Having the added light, and features was really nice, and honestly better than a wall tent. It warmed quick in the am, and was more than sufficient for inclement weather and dried at least twice as fast. It setup quicker, take down quicker and i am honestly not spending much time in it. Later in the seasons with cold, snow/rain and longer days with more time spent inside i would certainly lean toward the full canvas. But if your time is short. Not wasting time setting up camp and take down are a breeze, and care is easier.  And its still manageable wet. A comparable canvas tent soaked is a handful to break down and load solo. And while a canvas tent is warmer, and more weather proof, i never felt undergunned at all. Durability is not as good either, but the cost in weight savings and dollars still make it a very good value IMO.

Offline go4itlab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »
I have the Big Horn III, it is a good tent, really easy to set up and easy to dry out for storage after use, don't have to worry about mold/mildew or treating. 3 people in the early season is perfect, 4 would be tight. I would strongly suggest getting a vestibule as it a great spot to store your stuff and free up inside space. Late season 3 people is real tight with a wood stove but can be done. Never had an issue with condensate with wood stove or buddy heater. My only complaint is the lack of spots to secure sashing to allow for clothes to hang for drying or even hanging lights. For the wood stove as mentioned in an earlier post of quickly burning up wood, yes someone will have to feed the fire every couple hours if you're burning just wood.
A good solution that works well is:
A) Be the guy with the cot farthest away from the stove, have a real good sleeping bag, ambient and a couple shot of fireball whiskey=sleep like a baby
B) I buy a box/s of good quality long burning presto logs and right before I sack out I put a couple of those on top the wood coals and throttle the damper as low as I can. Have had good results.

Offline ChesapeakeMan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
If you're interested there is a Bighorn III in the Bargain Cave of the Tulalip Cabela's.  Price is $509.99 minus 20%.  It's used but may be worth it for a little over $400

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
I have the Big Horn III, it is a good tent, really easy to set up and easy to dry out for storage after use, don't have to worry about mold/mildew or treating. 3 people in the early season is perfect, 4 would be tight. I would strongly suggest getting a vestibule as it a great spot to store your stuff and free up inside space. Late season 3 people is real tight with a wood stove but can be done. Never had an issue with condensate with wood stove or buddy heater. My only complaint is the lack of spots to secure sashing to allow for clothes to hang for drying or even hanging lights. For the wood stove as mentioned in an earlier post of quickly burning up wood, yes someone will have to feed the fire every couple hours if you're burning just wood.
A good solution that works well is:
A) Be the guy with the cot farthest away from the stove, have a real good sleeping bag, ambient and a couple shot of fireball whiskey=sleep like a baby
B) I buy a box/s of good quality long burning presto logs and right before I sack out I put a couple of those on top the wood coals and throttle the damper as low as I can. Have had good results.

Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work"

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
If you're interested there is a Bighorn III in the Bargain Cave of the Tulalip Cabela's.  Price is $509.99 minus 20%.  It's used but may be worth it for a little over $400

Ironically my wife picked that up for me for Christmas! I'd been mulling it over for about a week now. I decided if it was still there after today I would buy it. She snuck down Friday evening and got it for me after listening to me blab for a few weeks on possibly getting that or a wall tent. I'm pretty excited now to get it set up and plan out my trips next yr! And it did came out to just over $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
:yeah:  all else being equal I would choose a full wall tent. Thats my disclaimer, i have stayed in both in mulitple seasons and weather.  In junk weather a full canvas tent is the way to go. However,  I lived in my bighorn for 3 weeks straight in september and preferred the bigborn in every way. Having the added light, and features was really nice, and honestly better than a wall tent. It warmed quick in the am, and was more than sufficient for inclement weather and dried at least twice as fast. It setup quicker, take down quicker and i am honestly not spending much time in it. Later in the seasons with cold, snow/rain and longer days with more time spent inside i would certainly lean toward the full canvas. But if your time is short. Not wasting time setting up camp and take down are a breeze, and care is easier.  And its still manageable wet. A comparable canvas tent soaked is a handful to break down and load solo. And while a canvas tent is warmer, and more weather proof, i never felt undergunned at all. Durability is not as good either, but the cost in weight savings and dollars still make it a very good value IMO.

I do enjoy the warmth and sturdiness of the wall tent, however I also thoroughly enjoyed staying in my fathers alaknak it too was sturdy during inclement weather and rarely saw condensation, couple nights we had to open the door as the heat warmed us out. My wife ended up getting me the Big Horn for Christmas which is awesome. I think the ease of set up and take down will be perfect for me as I will likely only have 5-8 days of early season archery and maybe a handful of late archery if I can swing it and it will most likely be just myself or one other person so I would prefer quick easy setup/teardown. I love my travel trailer as it obviously has all the amenities but after spending 15-25 nights in it throughout camping season with the family I look for the change of pace and dislike towing my trailer over the passes especially in inclement weather during late season. I think I made a good choice and can't wait to put it to use!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw