collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer and Elk hunting  (Read 3553 times)

Offline MeatEater87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Deer and Elk hunting
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
Hey guys how’s it going? New to the site and new to hunting. This last year was my first year ever and it sucked...Didnt see *censored*. This next year I’m going to change that, I am looking go hit the Colville National Forest. I was hoping some of you guys could point me in the right direction. I’m not scared of some footwork at all intact I’d rather get in there and get some. So if you guys know of a area I should begin that search I would greatly appreciate it. If you have a spot you suggest message me if you have a general area go ahead and post away. Thank you in advance. I’ll be doing modern rifle for both elf and deer. Whitetail forsure and maybe mule. Thanks

Offline Kvw4x4

• Tracker
  • Groups: kvw4x4
Re: Deer and Elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »
Pm sent

Offline MeatEater87

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:14:26 PM »
Thank you

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »
Hey guys how’s it going? New to the site and new to hunting. This last year was my first year ever and it sucked...Didnt see *censored*. This next year I’m going to change that, I am looking go hit the Colville National Forest. I was hoping some of you guys could point me in the right direction. I’m not scared of some footwork at all intact I’d rather get in there and get some. So if you guys know of a area I should begin that search I would greatly appreciate it. If you have a spot you suggest message me if you have a general area go ahead and post away. Thank you in advance. I’ll be doing modern rifle for both elf and deer. Whitetail forsure and maybe mule. Thanks

All I can say is, Santa is going to be pissed at you!!!   And probably a farmer also....  :nono:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
 :hello:  Welcome to HuntWa.   :hello:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »
Wish I knew your area better.
Good luck out there and keep at it a day in the field is better than a day on the couch.
You will find em!
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »

I always saw a lot of deer up smackout pass area out of colville turkey hunting. Take the Alladin road out of town like 45 minutes if I remembered right then take a right up the hill at a little fire station. Lots of country to explore. I like hunting dark timber for whitetails. Sit in a spot you can see a long way through the timber and just wait.

Offline MeatEater87

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s guys. I will take info and use it during the scouting I’m going to do this next year. Yeah Santa isn’t going to be to happy or my children when I start dropping these “elf’s” hahah

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:51:57 AM »
Deer are everywhere over there. My advice would be, if possible, to set aside some time to hunt both the early season and the late season if needed. Look at maps and find where the public land is then hop on google earth and try to narrow down a plan A, B, C, D, E and F. Pick several different spots and try to scout before the season if you can. Hunt them hard during the early season, and if you don't fill your tag head back for the last few days of the late season. If you don't find any bucks during early season but you find does, bucks may be in there with them in the late season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »
It took us about 15 years to figure it out :chuckle: Time, experience, some luck and persistence.  Every hunt we learned a ton, it's a big state.  Good luck :tup:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Though your current season didn't produce an animal, it was far from a failure. I am sure you learned a lot just from being out there and becoming a proficient hunter takes time. Sometimes going into an area and not seeing something can be a great benefit because it really makes you examine all the aspects of why the critters might not be there at that time of year. Chalk it up as part of your growth as a hunter. Going foward, whitetails up in the NE would be a good place to start as there is plenty of public land and a good amount of deer. As for rifle elk, that is a different story.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »
This was my first year as well and I was up around Colville/Aladdin area.  Had a bit of scouting in August and sept but come opening day I saw 1 doe.  I was only out for 2.5 days and could t make late season.  I still feel good about the area and will probably spend a lot of time this summer scouting the area, armed with what I leaned this season and find topography that looks like it will hold bucks and give me a place to catch them.  I know I was far too loud, inpatient and lazy (slept to late and didn't get to where I wanted until the sun was up). 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MeatEater87

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »
Billy,
      I was almost in the exact same boat. I got my late elk tag day before season wasn’t planning on it. Did no scouting before hand. *censored* I’ve never even thought about it before. I was probably loud as hell, they probably smelled me before I even got close. Never heard of Topo maps until after season. I’m doing a lot of research and learning what to look for and how to read a Topo map. I’m determined to have a better year next year.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
Billy,
      I was almost in the exact same boat. I got my late elk tag day before season wasn’t planning on it. Did no scouting before hand. *censored* I’ve never even thought about it before. I was probably loud as hell, they probably smelled me before I even got close. Never heard of Topo maps until after season. I’m doing a lot of research and learning what to look for and how to read a Topo map. I’m determined to have a better year next year.

Sounds like it was a "successful" season then  :tup:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »
Being a solo hunter with no hunting friends or relatives (at least close by) makes for a steep learning curve.  That first success will be sweet though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw