collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it time to petition the WDFW to standardize and license guide services?  (Read 7143 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Re: Is it time to petition the WDFW to standardize and license guide services?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »
I don't think this would affect anyone who's posted so far, unless they're currently using WA guiding services.  :dunno:. I'm interested to see how the professionals feel about it.

Your idea stinks...How's that. Do you ever use a guide here in Wash.? Bad experience? Last thing I need is WDFW controlling every thing I do and charging ME for it. Rates for guides services will rise with the cost of a license.. What do you think the requirements for qualifying for a guide license should be? Go to school to learn how to lease the right property , how to put up a tree stand, how to put stiches in a careless hunter, how to stay in better shape than your hunters,  how to identify wolf tracks  , the list goes on. How about background checks..mental evaluations ,or pass a physical agility course. Drug test?? How to shop for mandatory liability insurance for how many millions of dollars?? How about classes on how to babysit problem customers? I just touched the tip of the iceberg. WDFW or the state gets their foot in the door and the sky is the limit. No license from the WDFW..No..Hell NO...just my two cents..Now I need to go to my Happy Place and calm down.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 05:33:32 PM »
Come on......   tell us how you really feel.   :hello: :hello:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 05:35:21 PM »
 :yeah: next thing you know it would be going before the supreme court because some licensed guide wouldn't guide some individual in some group that identifies diff.  :chuckle:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 06:09:21 PM »
I don't think this would affect anyone who's posted so far, unless they're currently using WA guiding services.  :dunno:. I'm interested to see how the professionals feel about it.

Your idea stinks...How's that. Do you ever use a guide here in Wash.? Bad experience? Last thing I need is WDFW controlling every thing I do and charging ME for it. Rates for guides services will rise with the cost of a license.. What do you think the requirements for qualifying for a guide license should be? Go to school to learn how to lease the right property , how to put up a tree stand, how to put stiches in a careless hunter, how to stay in better shape than your hunters,  how to identify wolf tracks  , the list goes on. How about background checks..mental evaluations ,or pass a physical agility course. Drug test?? How to shop for mandatory liability insurance for how many millions of dollars?? How about classes on how to babysit problem customers? I just touched the tip of the iceberg. WDFW or the state gets their foot in the door and the sky is the limit. No license from the WDFW..No..Hell NO...just my two cents..Now I need to go to my Happy Place and calm down.

Yeah, you do need to calm down. I'm just asking the question for opinions like yours. I had the silly idea that good quality and ethical guides would like to get rid of the rif raf. No problem. Kind of an overreaction to a simple question, however. Have a nice drink! :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »
LOL..  Let me sum this up.  OP ask a question, several give an answer/opinion other than the one he was hoping for.  OP makes a few more attempts to sway opinions, those that disagree continue to disagree.  OP continue with condescending tone and insults those that disagree.  The very person who would be impacted the most and has the most insight responds and he is chastised for getting heated...  LOL..  OK..

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:04 PM »
As others have said, WA is essentially hands off when it's comes to regulating hunting guides. A convicted felon with a suspended hunting license could be a "hunting guide" in WA. As far as I know, WA is the only western state that doesn't regulate hunting guides (there may be others, but we're in the minority). Every effort to regulate hunting guides in WA has been beaten. In comparison, Idaho has an entire agency just focused on guides and outfitters which even has it's own enforcement program that goes after guides who aren't following the laws.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »
In the case of Washington State the "cure" would be far worse than the disease. 

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »
I can't see the benefit of having more non-residents hunting in this state.  Perhaps the outfitters can chime in with the percentage of clients that are from out of state.  WA certainly doesn't market hunting to non-residents like the other states mentioned, and I don't think the WDFW really cares about the out of state hunter. 

Raising revenue through tax dollars or "stimulating the economy" with out of state visitors are a drop in the bucket relative to the amount that hunters spend now.   
With more non-residents and a thriving outfitting industry, less land and game will be available to locals. 

I personally don't care what others think of this state by their experience with shady guides.  I personally don't think too highly of this state myself, and I don't really care enough to "protect" others from shady guides to create an entire government agency to oversee them.  There will be huge amounts of waste in the licensing and enforcement, and I guarantee not ONE guide will lose their license unless someone dies from negligence or the guide breaks a LOT of laws.  This state doesn't do a very impressive job at prosecuting current game law breakers, so imagine them trying to pull a license off of someone who is paying guide license fees to them. 

WA is not a destination hunting state and never will be.  Too many hunters are here already. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 09:25:24 PM »
LOL..  Let me sum this up.  OP ask a question, several give an answer/opinion other than the one he was hoping for.  OP makes a few more attempts to sway opinions, those that disagree continue to disagree.  OP continue with condescending tone and insults those that disagree.  The very person who would be impacted the most and has the most insight responds and he is chastised for getting heated...  LOL..  OK..

Actually I told him his was the opinion I was looking for. But he did overreact. "Your idea stinks. How about that?" I don't think I was out of line considering how he responded. It's a discussion. Not some kind of ego battle.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »
I am a NO.   

Government is already intrusive enough?
E.G.   Why does a hairdresser need to be licensed! ) (:2 /+('t?

Let the market work and the buyer beware. 

I'll take Caveat Emptor over the nanny state.
Didn't need to read further than this.
You wonder why the PoS left is winning?
Stop asking the gov to solve every problem.
I'm not going to use the "smashing head into brick wall emoticon" but thats how I feel.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »
Well, I've got my answer. It looks like most are against licensing of guides in WA. After the discussions about Shane and having heard a few people in the past talk about the benefits of licensing, I thought it was going the other direction. It also seems I've caused bad feelings and that was not my intent. I apologize to anyone who thinks I unfairly responded to them. So mods, if you want to lock this up, please do. I hope you all have a good night and a great Christmas season.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 10:42:42 PM »
Remember sir a lot of people in all these forums say the same thing,

DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

You wouldn't eat dinner at a place everyone said washed the chicken off in vinegar would you?  :chuckle:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »
Well, I've got my answer. It looks like most are against licensing of guides in WA. After the discussions about Shane and having heard a few people in the past talk about the benefits of licensing, I thought it was going the other direction. It also seems I've caused bad feelings and that was not my intent. I apologize to anyone who thinks I unfairly responded to them. So mods, if you want to lock this up, please do. I hope you all have a good night and a great Christmas season.
My answer to your post was intended to be staight forward.
My answers uaually are.
However, I believe that discussion with you can be had without "bad feelings".
 I think you are a good person.
Merry Christmas.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 11:39:32 PM »
License them and put the money into habitat.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 12:20:48 AM »
I've been licensed to guide in two states, I say keep WA the way it is  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal