collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Helicopters-to-be-used-to-capture-deer-in-eastern-washington  (Read 6504 times)

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
Helicopters-to-be-used-to-capture-deer-in-eastern-washington
« on: December 06, 2017, 05:46:52 AM »
http://www.khq.com/story/37000379/helicopters-to-be-used-to-capture-deer-in-eastern-washington

There went the horse.  :yike:  Should we close the gate.   :dunno:

Helicopters to be used to capture deer in Eastern Washington
Posted: Dec 05, 2017 1:52 PM PST
Updated: Dec 05, 2017 1:52 PM PST

RICHLAND, Wash. (AP) - State biologists will survey mule deer populations and use nets fired from a helicopter to capture some of them starting this weekend in Eastern Washington.
Some 50 does will be captured and fitted with GPS/satellite collars to allow biologists to monitor migration patterns and doe survival.
The Tri-City Herald reports the work will happen in Walla Walla, Columbia and Garfield counties for up to several weeks.
Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife biologists will gather data to learn more about mule deer populations, including the percentages of bucks, does and fawns.
Officials say the information could be used to inform future management of the deer population and hunting seasons.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Helicopters-to-be-used-to-capture-deer-in-eastern-washington
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:57:18 AM »
They shouldn't have to track the wolves then as they will be following these collared deer
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:15 AM »
If I remember they did this a few years ago with the Wilson creek to Fish trap Muledeer Migration. Guess they didn't learn anything from that.   :sry:

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:42:45 AM »
What is the big deal?  Using helicopters to capture wildlife is done all the time on just about every continent. 

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:00:48 AM »

The big deal is cost and effectiveness.  Could the same be done studying road kill and flying drones for 10 cents on the dollar?  Is the data used efficiently?

Offline WARHORSE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:44:18 AM »
Or maybe they could save a pile of money and just ask a hunter! Lol yup muledeer are struggling i can tell you that without a hellicopter!

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »

The big deal is cost and effectiveness.  Could the same be done studying road kill and flying drones for 10 cents on the dollar?  Is the data used efficiently?

In this case no.  Read the article.  Road kill will tell you nothing.  Drones have uses.  In this case again no.  Helicopter are proven to be more cost effective for many studies.  In this case using a helicopter would save big time over other methods.  To use other methods would cost much more in staff time and I am willing to bet they would not get a statistical significant sample size.

Understanding migration patterns is a big deal in all states with migratory deer.  It not a case of look at it once and walk away.  It is continually looked at over time and as new technology and research methods are developed it is looked at again. 

I think another way to look at is to consider a contractor who has a project.  What is the tool he will use, buy, or lease to do the job?  Maybe he needs to dig a big ditch.  He could use manpower, small piece of equipment or a large piece of equipment.  He may own a small backhoe and could get the job done with it.  Or he could lease a larger backhoe and get the job done faster lowering cost.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »

How would studying road kill help to ID migration patterns?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »

Reverse engineering.
You'd know where the migration ended
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »

Reverse engineering.
You'd know where the migration ended

What about in areas where roads are not a factor?

Helicopters and net guns are a thing that happens all the time all over the west. Blacktails on the OP, mountain goats, etc.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
Just a little sarcasm for the morning.
I know nothing of the project or what any answers are.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:57 AM »
I hope these helicopters don't add to the chemtrails.

Ok, enough nonsense.  I hope they can get some valuable information.  We all bitch that they aren't trying to figure the issues out.  This is a good step, in my feeble mind. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »
I hope these helicopters don't add to the chemtrails.

Ok, enough nonsense.  I hope they can get some valuable information.  We all bitch that they aren't trying to figure the issues out.  This is a good step, in my feeble mind. :tup:

I'm feebly with you.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 08:30:36 AM »
It seems like the right time of the year to do it and with the concern on here regarding the health of mule deer populations in the state, I'd think most people would support the study. They'll certainly also be testing for CWD and possibly other diseases, as well. It looks like a good thing to me.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Killmore

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 08:34:55 AM »
Anyone remember they did this a few years back with the muckelshoots in the joe watt area?  So how and what did they learn? Are deer numbers suck..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal