collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Helicopters-to-be-used-to-capture-deer-in-eastern-washington  (Read 6492 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Helicopters-to-be-used-to-capture-deer-in-eastern-washington
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
What is the big deal?  Using helicopters to capture wildlife is done all the time on just about every continent.
Bingo it's a management tool.  I would guess it will help ascertain important information about the herds. I am still curious what the Mucks learned about the herds they collared a few years back.

Glad to see modern management tools being used.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
I think the Methow would have been a better area, then they might figure out the herd is in bad shape. :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »
They're doing stuff like this regularly. The difference is that this event made the news.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Practical Approach

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
 :yeah:

The big deal is cost and effectiveness.  Could the same be done studying road kill and flying drones for 10 cents on the dollar?  Is the data used efficiently?

In this case no.  Read the article.  Road kill will tell you nothing.  Drones have uses.  In this case again no.  Helicopter are proven to be more cost effective for many studies.  In this case using a helicopter would save big time over other methods.  To use other methods would cost much more in staff time and I am willing to bet they would not get a statistical significant sample size.

Understanding migration patterns is a big deal in all states with migratory deer.  It not a case of look at it once and walk away.  It is continually looked at over time and as new technology and research methods are developed it is looked at again. 

I think another way to look at is to consider a contractor who has a project.  What is the tool he will use, buy, or lease to do the job?  Maybe he needs to dig a big ditch.  He could use manpower, small piece of equipment or a large piece of equipment.  He may own a small backhoe and could get the job done with it.  Or he could lease a larger backhoe and get the job done faster lowering cost.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
I think the Methow would have been a better area, then they might figure out the herd is in bad shape. :twocents:
They collared deer in the Methow and Northeast last year. http://nwsportsmanmag.com/predator-prey-study-launched-in-washingtons-wolf-country/
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
Why Helicopters??   Spend more money that way!   Besides, To many employees are to lazy and scared to do it the way they used to!!!

It required skill and muscle power!!!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 10:52:49 AM »
Why Helicopters??   Spend more money that way!   Besides, To many employees are to lazy and scared to do it the way they used to!!!

It required skill and muscle power!!!

Maybe efficiency and effectiveness?
If you don't think net gunning out of a helicopter requires skill, I'm not sure what to tell you. Then wrestle the thing to the ground for a collar...no muscle required there. Any 8 year old girl could do that!!
Laughable.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 11:51:44 AM »
A partner of mine killed a HUGE buck back in the 1980,s , if I remember right it was a 4 by 4 and field dressed, weighed in in the low 300,s(I,ll do some checking), anyway it had a collar on it with a transmitter and a brass tag that said if this collar is found please contact the game dept. (along with other contact info). We turned it in to the game folks we knew and they came up with some Bio,s and other game folks and gave the old buck a good looking over, they told us thank you and said we would be getting a detailed letter about the bucks life during the 3 or 4 years they tracked him. What I remember from the letter was the buck was trapped using a helicopter in the winter of 1982 in the northern part of the Methow on the winter range as a 3 1/2 year old, they picked him from a lot of other bucks because they said he was a "prime specimen" at the time, big, healthy and dominant, they tracked him for  3-4years until the batteries went dead, they had his summer range approx 20 to 25 miles into British Columbia and every winter he would migrate the 50 plus miles to his winter range in the Methow, the batteries had went dead and they lost track of him for a few years. They figured he had been nabbed by a predator or died of natural causes because of his age by then and also the collar not being turned in by hunters.  I remember in the packet my friend got in the mail along with the letter and biography were a bunch of pictures showing the trapping and collaring of the buck, one of the pics were of the deer in a net being dipped into the Chewuch river with a helicopter to kind of "wake him up" a little. We heard from a Game dept. friend that the biologist that handled that buck put the collar on a plaque and it hung on his mantle at his house, it was his first mule deer project as a young bio and it really meant something to him.....

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 12:20:07 PM »
It seems like the right time of the year to do it and with the concern on here regarding the health of mule deer populations in the state, I'd think most people would support the study. They'll certainly also be testing for CWD and possibly other diseases, as well. It looks like a good thing to me.

Many will support a study like this.  However, it's the same list of anti government characters on this site who continually criticize anything that shows up with "WDFW" in the post that will never support anything the agency does. 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »
I'm glad to see studies being done, choppers are commonly used by agencies.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
Boss 300,

They will be trapping and collaring deer in the Methow this winter also as part of the predator-prey study, probably with a helicopter. We had the WDFW lead bios at our November meeting to tell us about the study they started last winter.

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 01:27:20 PM »
Another time I seen them using helicopters was in the mid 1960,s, over in the Methow. Up by Sullivans pond they used to have "deer traps" set up(the remnants of the entrances were still standing into the 70,s). The Game dept fella that was good friends with my grandparents back in the 50,s and 60,s said they were used with huge nets attached to the wood entrances. They would have guys on foot and horseback banging pots and pans trying to corral them into the "mouth" and eventually into the traps. We got to watch one time when I was younger but at that time they were using helicopters to wrangle them into the traps.....the good ole days :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 01:28:14 PM »
A partner of mine killed a HUGE buck back in the 1980,s , if I remember right it was a 4 by 4 and field dressed, weighed in in the low 300,s(I,ll do some checking), anyway it had a collar on it with a transmitter and a brass tag that said if this collar is found please contact the game dept. (along with other contact info). We turned it in to the game folks we knew and they came up with some Bio,s and other game folks and gave the old buck a good looking over, they told us thank you and said we would be getting a detailed letter about the bucks life during the 3 or 4 years they tracked him. What I remember from the letter was the buck was trapped using a helicopter in the winter of 1982 in the northern part of the Methow on the winter range as a 3 1/2 year old, they picked him from a lot of other bucks because they said he was a "prime specimen" at the time, big, healthy and dominant, they tracked him for  3-4years until the batteries went dead, they had his summer range approx 20 to 25 miles into British Columbia and every winter he would migrate the 50 plus miles to his winter range in the Methow, the batteries had went dead and they lost track of him for a few years. They figured he had been nabbed by a predator or died of natural causes because of his age by then and also the collar not being turned in by hunters.  I remember in the packet my friend got in the mail along with the letter and biography were a bunch of pictures showing the trapping and collaring of the buck, one of the pics were of the deer in a net being dipped into the Chewuch river with a helicopter to kind of "wake him up" a little. We heard from a Game dept. friend that the biologist that handled that buck put the collar on a plaque and it hung on his mantle at his house, it was his first mule deer project as a young bio and it really meant something to him.....

That's a cool story. I got a lion on a trail cam in the Blues a few years back that had a collar on. I sent the pics to the bio and was told he was collared probably 5 years earlier and a general area in the Blues the collar was put on him. We weren't able to ID the lion so not able to say for sure any specific details.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
All of the pronghorns that were just caught and relocated here were caught with helicopters and net guns.  They caught 50-some of them in a day. That's pretty dang efficient.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »
Idaho does there big game counts with choppers every year, they do a few units each year and try to get back to each unit every 4 to 5 years.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]