collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Helicopters-to-be-used-to-capture-deer-in-eastern-washington  (Read 6491 times)

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: Helicopters-to-be-used-to-capture-deer-in-eastern-washington
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
Idaho does there big game counts with choppers every year, they do a few units each year and try to get back to each unit every 4 to 5 years.

Wish there was a way to volunteer for the ride along.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »
A partner of mine killed a HUGE buck back in the 1980,s , if I remember right it was a 4 by 4 and field dressed, weighed in in the low 300,s(I,ll do some checking), anyway it had a collar on it with a transmitter and a brass tag that said if this collar is found please contact the game dept. (along with other contact info). We turned it in to the game folks we knew and they came up with some Bio,s and other game folks and gave the old buck a good looking over, they told us thank you and said we would be getting a detailed letter about the bucks life during the 3 or 4 years they tracked him. What I remember from the letter was the buck was trapped using a helicopter in the winter of 1982 in the northern part of the Methow on the winter range as a 3 1/2 year old, they picked him from a lot of other bucks because they said he was a "prime specimen" at the time, big, healthy and dominant, they tracked him for  3-4years until the batteries went dead, they had his summer range approx 20 to 25 miles into British Columbia and every winter he would migrate the 50 plus miles to his winter range in the Methow, the batteries had went dead and they lost track of him for a few years. They figured he had been nabbed by a predator or died of natural causes because of his age by then and also the collar not being turned in by hunters.  I remember in the packet my friend got in the mail along with the letter and biography were a bunch of pictures showing the trapping and collaring of the buck, one of the pics were of the deer in a net being dipped into the Chewuch river with a helicopter to kind of "wake him up" a little. We heard from a Game dept. friend that the biologist that handled that buck put the collar on a plaque and it hung on his mantle at his house, it was his first mule deer project as a young bio and it really meant something to him.....

That's a cool story. I got a lion on a trail cam in the Blues a few years back that had a collar on. I sent the pics to the bio and was told he was collared probably 5 years earlier and a general area in the Blues the collar was put on him. We weren't able to ID the lion so not able to say for sure any specific details.

:tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »
Idaho does there big game counts with choppers every year, they do a few units each year and try to get back to each unit every 4 to 5 years.

Washington flew the Goat Rocks this year counting goats. Can't say for sure if it was a helicopter or a plane, but it was an aerial survey.
(438 was the count, because someone will be wondering)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »

Man a lot of old stuff popping into my head today :chuckle:...Once again "back in the day" in the Methow and I,m sure other parts of the state also that had migrating herds, they would use college students, volunteers and some game dept. folks of coarse and they would arm you with a "clicker counter" paper and pencil, they would park you at different migration routes and you would sit there for 6 or 7 hours a day for a week or so and count the deer moving through(take note of fawns, yearlings, does and bucks). Now days most of it is done from planes and helicopters. A few of the migration routes that were used were actually suggested by my family. My dad and I talked with a young gal (who was a student at WSU) who was  parked along side a dirt road in an undisclosed area ;)(a route my family suggested) and she had counted around 500 deer cross that day, the thing was she had only been there for about 2 hours :tup:...yep thats the way the Methow was.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
Drones take cheap pictures, nothing cheap about a helicopter.  Road kill, besides providing health status (disease titers, parasite load, pregnancy rates. body condition) can supply a great deal of migration data by simply tracking locations.  When the WDFW states a number of road kills and the insurance folks have paid off on more than three times that number a lot of useful info is being ignored.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »

careful what you wish for  :chuckle:

I watched a helicopter (Robinson R44 I think) doing a duck survey along the river, all the sudden it flared up and chopped the power lines by my house knocking out power. 
Dude landed in my hayfield next to me,  I was on a Kubota watching the helicopter go up the river at low altitude.

The pilot checked out his rotor blades and was about to take off again and I'm like:  "dooood! - don't you think you ought to call someone?? like FAA? you just knocked out power to the whole town it's not like they aren't going to find out it was you then you'll be in bigger trouble.    I mean he had a federal USFWS gal with him, he wasn't going to get away with it... :DOH:

pilot:  "sigh, ya probably better.. can I borrow your phone?"

I think you better  :chuckle:

20-30 minutes later I had Stevens CO, Border Patrol, Ferry CO, Park Service, WDFW, NFS...fire department..   I don't know who all but about 30 some gov vehicles in my hayfield, glad I didn't have a crop in  :chuckle:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »

careful what you wish for  :chuckle:

I watched a helicopter (Robinson R44 I think) doing a duck survey along the river, all the sudden it flared up and chopped the power lines by my house knocking out power. 
Dude landed in my hayfield next to me,  I was on a Kubota watching the helicopter go up the river at low altitude.

The pilot checked out his rotor blades and was about to take off again and I'm like:  "dooood! - don't you think you ought to call someone?? like FAA? you just knocked out power to the whole town it's not like they aren't going to find out it was you then you'll be in bigger trouble.    I mean he had a federal USFWS gal with him, he wasn't going to get away with it... :DOH:

pilot:  "sigh, ya probably better.. can I borrow your phone?"

I think you better  :chuckle:

20-30 minutes later I had Stevens CO, Border Patrol, Ferry CO, Park Service, WDFW, NFS...fire department..   I don't know who all but about 30 some gov vehicles in my hayfield, glad I didn't have a crop in  :chuckle:

Did he take off later, I wouldn’t have been in it, those blades aren’t that tough.  :yike:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »
ya, few hours later he took off.  I don't know if he continued the survey. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
Plan B

Plan to capture deer with helicopters and nets postponed
Posted: Dec 06, 2017 11:50 PM PST
Updated: Dec 06, 2017 11:50 PM PST

KENNEWICK, Wash. (AP) - A project to use helicopters and nets to catch mule deer in Washington state has been postponed.
The Tri-City Herald reports that the project has been rescheduled to January because the aircraft's operator will not be available this month.
The Washington State Fish and Wildlife project will fit satellite collars on up to 50 does captured in Columbia, Walla Walla and Garfield counties.
Plans will proceed this month to conduct an aerial survey of bucks, does and fawns in the three counties.
Information will help with management of the deer and hunting seasons.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »
Something to think about. I knew Rocky.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/state-agency-cited-in-biologists-death/

And the man's life was only worth a $4200.00 fine, and people complain about the fines poachers get...

"Labor and Industries fined the wildlife agency $4,200 for the violations and gave it a month to correct the problem. Labor and Industries classified the violations as “serious,” the middle range on the department’s severity scale."

Sorry about the thread jack, but this this struck me as crazy.   
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by pianoman9701
[Today at 08:57:54 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]