collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A question on backcountry bears  (Read 7692 times)

Offline mtn muley madness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • there's just something about them mtn muley's..
  • Groups: MDF, NRA, RMEF, DU
Re: A question on backcountry bears
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
The high alpine areas are a great place to start for your first bear and it' personally my favorite place to hunt, but as noted it may be a ghost town until the berries start to ripen towards the end of August/beginning of September. The worst confrontations I've had were people who tried to tell me it wasn't legal for me to be hunting there and didn't believe there was any game to hunt there anyways...just uneducated people and often I was able to explain how I'd already seen game and they seemed a bit rattled by that but if you're not looking for game, you very rarely ever see game (it's often hard enough to see game when you are looking for it!). Just stay calm and don't get worked up I am pretty sure those very few puffy chest hikers are only fishing you for a chance to tell you why they are right and you are wrong anyways and anything you say goes right out the other ear so it's pointless to get worked up about it. Educate them on the laws, rules, regulations if need be and in my experience they will change their tune in a hurry when they realize you know what you are talking about and aren't going to feed them fuel for their fire. I like to hike up in the dark as well so I'm up there by first light so I can avoid any 'trail issues' in the first place (and it's best to be up there at that time anyways-so it's a win win). That way you can glass for a while with the country all to yourself and when you do start seeing hikers show up you can potentially use them to bird dog for you. I like to slip down a little lower before I think hikers might show up and find a good spot to hang out and glass or work slowly across the alpine because all the hikers are doing is blazing up the trail. I've never seen a hiker get off the trail...keep that in mind. It's very easy to go undetected. Know where the trail goes and maybe try and use it to your advantage depending on the country. I've often felt like not a single person knew I was even there all day even when I've seen some 20 other people...except when they push a bear down the hill making a break for the timberline and you're there to clean up...they may hear a boom cut the ice! And if you feel threatened at all, don't get excited, encourage them to call the game warden. I've done it. It usually shuts them up, they don't know how to respond to it. I've even given them the phone number when I've been heading down the trail with a bear on my back and was approached by uneducated people threatening to call the cops on me (they changed their tune as soon as I offered them direct cell phone numbers to local game wardens). There IS a law that is worded that it is against the law to interfere with a lawful hunt so if they want to call let them get educated. As long as you don't fuel the fire or give them a reason and are doing everything by the books (WHICH WE ALL ALWAYS ARE), the law will have your back. The land is for everyone and everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy it so we need to coexist civilly because nothing is changing anytime soon and if anything were to ever change it wouldn't be for the benefit of us hunters unfortunately so we need to be the bigger person everywhere we go. There is more of them than us. Best thing to do is stay calm, and hunt on! My 2 pennies.
Kill to hunt, hunt to kill!

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
The high alpine areas are a great place to start for your first bear and it' personally my favorite place to hunt, but as noted it may be a ghost town until the berries start to ripen towards the end of August/beginning of September. The worst confrontations I've had were people who tried to tell me it wasn't legal for me to be hunting there and didn't believe there was any game to hunt there anyways...just uneducated people and often I was able to explain how I'd already seen game and they seemed a bit rattled by that but if you're not looking for game, you very rarely ever see game (it's often hard enough to see game when you are looking for it!). Just stay calm and don't get worked up I am pretty sure those very few puffy chest hikers are only fishing you for a chance to tell you why they are right and you are wrong anyways and anything you say goes right out the other ear so it's pointless to get worked up about it. Educate them on the laws, rules, regulations if need be and in my experience they will change their tune in a hurry when they realize you know what you are talking about and aren't going to feed them fuel for their fire. I like to hike up in the dark as well so I'm up there by first light so I can avoid any 'trail issues' in the first place (and it's best to be up there at that time anyways-so it's a win win). That way you can glass for a while with the country all to yourself and when you do start seeing hikers show up you can potentially use them to bird dog for you. I like to slip down a little lower before I think hikers might show up and find a good spot to hang out and glass or work slowly across the alpine because all the hikers are doing is blazing up the trail. I've never seen a hiker get off the trail...keep that in mind. It's very easy to go undetected. Know where the trail goes and maybe try and use it to your advantage depending on the country. I've often felt like not a single person knew I was even there all day even when I've seen some 20 other people...except when they push a bear down the hill making a break for the timberline and you're there to clean up...they may hear a boom cut the ice! And if you feel threatened at all, don't get excited, encourage them to call the game warden. I've done it. It usually shuts them up, they don't know how to respond to it. I've even given them the phone number when I've been heading down the trail with a bear on my back and was approached by uneducated people threatening to call the cops on me (they changed their tune as soon as I offered them direct cell phone numbers to local game wardens). There IS a law that is worded that it is against the law to interfere with a lawful hunt so if they want to call let them get educated. As long as you don't fuel the fire or give them a reason and are doing everything by the books (WHICH WE ALL ALWAYS ARE), the law will have your back. The land is for everyone and everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy it so we need to coexist civilly because nothing is changing anytime soon and if anything were to ever change it wouldn't be for the benefit of us hunters unfortunately so we need to be the bigger person everywhere we go. There is more of them than us. Best thing to do is stay calm, and hunt on! My 2 pennies.

Those are 2 good pennies. Great advice :tup:
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »
Hikers, good Lord! Most are chill, but get ready to respond to "what are you doing up here" or  "what do you need a gun for, are you hunting?" (as if you are required to give them a reason). I usually screw with 'em "just my insurance policy, you didn't hear about the cougar that dismembered a hiker on this very trail last week?" or something to that nature. If you want, you can attempt to make them feel better in their little comfort zone bubble, try to bring up the importance of hunting, conservation, tradition, frontier spirit, etc, but that usually just digs you deeper into their pit of social justice righteousness. Best to keep moving.  ;)

Not sure why you’d feel the need to worsen their image of hunters by doing stuff like this but whatever.
I spent a lot of time last summer in hiker central with either a rifle and/or a spotting scope on my back with zero issue. Everyone was friendly as was I in return. I didn’t talk in much detail about what I was doing but 1 time when FTF and I(with rifle) ran into a couple dudes hiking who told us where to find some mountain goats. We found them right where they told us they’d be.

Well said, Jack.

P.S. My attitude is dead serious when I discuss dangerous game with the "puffy chests" (good one mtn muley!  ;) )...tell 'em to "Stay safe out there!" and that I'm OFFICIALLY LICENSED with the Department of Fish and Wildlife...At that point their inbred love of authority and being dominated kicks in and they typically respond with "WOW!" or are left speechless in a state of shock and awe as I continue moseying.   8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:37:28 PM by Calvin Rayborn »

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
I've had plenty of run ins with hikers (most have been good). I always step to the side (cause there is usually a group or two or more), smile, let them pass and maybe discuss what I am after out there. Lots of people have no idea there "are bears in the area"! Ive even been glassing bear on the trail, people ask what I am looking at and I show them through the scope, they love it. I've shared some of my bear summer sausage with people while on the trail, they enjoyed it.

Try to be an ambassador for hunting, after all, I think hikers (who don't hunt) and hunters have a lot in common.

:yeah:
IAFF #3728

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
P.S. My attitude is dead serious when I discuss dangerous game with the "puffy chests" (good one mtn muley!  ;) )...tell 'em to "Stay safe out there!" and that I'm OFFICIALLY LICENSED with the Department of Fish and Wildlife...At that point their inbred love of authority and being dominated kicks in and they typically respond with "WOW!" or are left speechless in a state of shock and awe as I continue moseying.   8)
what are you doing to incite the people just cruising along outdoors? ive had enough run ins to make odds, that the mere sight of a rifle doesnt yield these results..

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »
what are you doing to incite the people just cruising along outdoors? ive had enough run ins to make odds, that the mere sight of a rifle doesnt yield these results..

Not many people are going to mouth off to someone with a gun. When I've been on the trails with a bow I have had many conversations where the hiker will "allow" my presence because a bow makes it fair but will give me an earful about the awful rifle hunters. I just smile and nod.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 09:07:29 AM »

Very legit question. I've ran into dozens of hikers while hunting with a rifle and literally never had a problem...

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 01:22:18 PM »

Very legit question. I've ran into dozens of hikers while hunting with a rifle and literally never had a problem...

:chuckle:  incite...  :chuckle: You guys obviously don't hunt anywhere near the Southwest part of the State! I grew-up South of St. Helens, Gifford Pinchot NF Area. These people have some freaking agenda or something (usually weekend hiker warriors from the Portland Metro area and members or the BFRO - the BigFoot Researchers Organization...I kid you not  :P). Lots of Sierra Club "nature hikes" going on as well.  They WILL stop and question you if you seem out of place with their way of thinking (1940's Nazi Germany ish??). They HATE firearms and Buffalo Check with a passion, and any other vehicle than a Subaru. They believe that YOU are out to destroy THEIR pristine nature and slaughter everything in sight, including their beloved, mythical creature named Bambi (have gotten the "you gonna kill Bambi or something" on more than one occasion). I've had them actually hit me with sticks when I was just passing through on my trail bike. I challenge any one of you to hit the Tarbell Trail for a Spring hunt and NOT have a run in!

Judge not, lest ye be judged by a Portlander, guys! Keep Portland Weird!    :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »

:chuckle:  incite...  :chuckle: You guys obviously don't hunt anywhere near the Southwest part of the State! I grew-up South of St. Helens, Gifford Pinchot NF Area. These people have some freaking agenda or something (usually weekend hiker warriors from the Portland Metro area and members or the BFRO - the BigFoot Researchers Organization...I kid you not  :P). Lots of Sierra Club "nature hikes" going on as well.  They WILL stop and question you if you seem out of place with their way of thinking (1940's Nazi Germany ish??). They HATE firearms and Buffalo Check with a passion, and any other vehicle than a Subaru. They believe that YOU are out to destroy THEIR pristine nature and slaughter everything in sight, including their beloved, mythical creature named Bambi (have gotten the "you gonna kill Bambi or something" on more than one occasion). I've had them actually hit me with sticks when I was just passing through on my trail bike. I challenge any one of you to hit the Tarbell Trail for a Spring hunt and NOT have a run in!

Judge not, lest ye be judged by a Portlander, guys! Keep Portland Weird!    :tup:

I put 100+ miles on my boots this past summer and fall looking for a creature a lot more magical and mystical than a deer outside the GPNF. Talked to lots of hikers. Zero issues.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »

I put 100+ miles on my boots this past summer and fall looking for a creature a lot more magical and mystical than a deer down there. Talked to lots of hikers. Zero issues.
Maybe you're scarier looking?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 05:38:08 PM »
There’s that I guess.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »

I put 100+ miles on my boots this past summer and fall looking for a creature a lot more magical and mystical than a deer outside the GPNF. Talked to lots of hikers. Zero issues.
Well I hike about 10 miles a day on peak seasons and have the missing toenails to prove it! Through all that bushwhacking, I have yet to personally experience an encounter with Sasquatch. That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t exist or that others haven't had run-ins with him, does it?  :)

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
There’s that I guess.

On second thought after the toenail comment, maybe I am just scarier looking!  :mgun:  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:10:49 PM by Calvin Rayborn »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 05:59:59 PM »
It’s not safe to make any sort of Sasquatch assumptions or accusations on huntwa. You must be new.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »
It’s not safe to make any sort of Sasquatch assumptions or accusations on huntwa. You must be new.

Exactly - That's why I keep an open mind as noted in my comment on the beast. Did I make a Bigfoot assumption or accusation? This talk to text doesn't always work the way I would like

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]