collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rainier10's hunt for a cougar  (Read 31586 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Rainier10's hunt for a cougar
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
Im going life size. Dropped it off at Cedar River Taxidermy yesterday. Rick did a great job on my wife’s cougar. Hers is a west side female shot early fall and mine is a Tom from Idaho in January so they look completely different. Hers is going to stay at the new house mine is going to go to our cabin. Makes for a fun family debate if they are not side by side. Good thing is I have one now so at least I have a comeback when she says she shot a cougar.

Now I need a wolf.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »
Congrats!!  Thanks for sharing
It never changes, but it is always different.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
Congrats! Thanks for taking us on the journey with you! All the highs and lows. Sounds like quite the adventure! Congrats again.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »
Great cat! Congrats!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
Dandy cat :IBCOOL:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
Great cat :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
good stuff man!!!   :tup: :tup:

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:07 AM »
I'm late on catching the update...

Congrats!  :tup:

Did I see a Ruby in that pic?  :)
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
I'm late on catching the update...

Congrats!  :tup:

Did I see a Ruby in that pic?  :)
Yes, that is Ruby in the middle of the road.   That is when we "released the hounds!!!!!"

She's a great dog.

Thirteen and Lady are the two that actually found the track that ended up treeing the cat that I got.  I will have fond memories of those two now as well as good ole Ruby.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
I've never been on a hound hunt.  But, one thing I appreciate by you and Dale sharing your stories is the work that goes into one.  It seems to me like pouring concrete.  Every part of the job is work, especially if is done right.   :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »
I will say for a guy that is on a guided cougar hunt, if all things go perfect, it really isn't that tough.

We were handicapped by weather, one of the big things that a guide just can't control.

Once the dogs were on the track, they quickly treed the cat.  Then it was all on me.  Getting up that hill to the dogs was no easy task, snow was deep, snow shoes are really tough to run or climb a hill in.  I am not sure the photos I took can really depict how steep it is there.  I hunt Swakane every year in the late season for deer and went with Jackelope on his goat hunt.  Both really steep areas.  Idaho is just as steep if not steeper.  So after this brutal dash to the dogs you have to gain your composure and catch your breath.  At this point there are 5 dogs barking like there is no tomorrow, it's total chaos and now there are two people at the tree, the guide and I.  The cat is getting really nervous, you are physically drained and now you have to make a steep uphill shot.  I did it with a bow, totally un natural the angle of the shot, standing on steep terrain and shooting through a small window of limbs.  I think a gun might be a little easier as you don't have to worry about the rise and fall of the bullet but the angle of the shot and the footing you are standing on would still be very problematic.

Bottom line when it all goes right, it is still total chaos and really tough to accomplish.  When conditions are tough it makes it all that much tougher.

Dale and his crew worked their butts off to get us on a cat and in a position that I could take a cat.  Luckily I was able to get to the cat and make what I would consider a pretty difficult shot.  It was really nerve wracking being out of breath, dogs barking and knowing that I had one shot to make it count.

I am still working on getting the video uploaded onto a platform that I can provide a link to.  When I do I will be sure to post it here.  The video really shows how tired I was and the chaos that was around me for the shot.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2018, 09:24:31 AM »
 :tup:

More pics and Video! 
-Ronald Reagan

Online Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2018, 10:06:27 AM »
Congrats on taking out a predator  :tup:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
Absolutely awesome man!  I knew you'd get it done!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »
Congrats on your success! Thoroughly enjoyed reading your & Bearpaw's account of the hunt. Are you planning a full body mount?  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal