collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Applying for Tags/Permits  (Read 3991 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Applying for Tags/Permits
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »
Point creep is basically that the increase in overall points/apps being added to each permit pool is greater than the individual increase in the same pool. The odds go down faster than yours go up.
like I said, a lot smarter guys than me!  :chuckle: thanks van.  Now, if you want to know how the draw works, that’s another paragraph!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
Point creep is basically that the increase in overall points/apps being added to each permit pool is greater than the individual increase in the same pool. The odds go down faster than yours go up.
like I said, a lot smarter guys than me!  :chuckle: thanks van.  Now, if you want to know how the draw works, that’s another paragraph!

every once in a while that expensive college edgumucation comes in handy  :o
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 01:43:56 PM »
I tend to apply for permits that don't get a lot of chatter. My quality mule deer tag I drew with 4 points, killed a nice buck and have literally never seen it mentioned on this forum again in 7 years since I drew it. My goat tag I drew in a unit that doesn't get talked about a lot. It doesn't have the biggest goats in the state and access, once the snow flies, can be sketchy. I didn't know that when I applied as much as I do now, but I knew it could at least be a factor. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline TLEVIN40

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
Great advice, thanks.

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 04:55:49 PM »
This is my 2cents.   I’ve been playing the permit game like most on here for over 22 years.  I’ve been applying for hard to draw tags, including all the oil tags (once in a lifetime), 22 years (points) for quality elk, bull elk, 13 for quality deer and 18 for oil’s. There are a couple ways to play this game, apply for permits that are easier to draw or go for gold.  Going for those very tough draws could cost you your youth and years, decades, waiting, getting old in the process.  If you want to hunt your favorite animal every year, and it isn’t part of your permit goal, as far as location or weapon, apply for ghost points and go hunt!  Always put in for oil tags, very tough to draw but get your permit in the hat!  Apply for multi season elk, when you draw this (average of every 5to 6 years), then put in for your coveted tags.  Multi elk allows you to put in for both sides of the state and for multiple weapons.  Of course if your yearly hunt is in the same area and same weapon, put in every year and don’t ghost point. Hope this makes sense.  Don’t get old waiting for that one permit like me, go hunt and enjoy every season, I regret waiting so long and now I’m pot committed.  Once I draw, I’m done playing the points game, hope I can still walk by then.

:yeah:   Some good advice right there :tup:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]