collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Poached Goat  (Read 30383 times)

Offline MuleDeerCrazy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Re: Poached Goat
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 10:21:42 AM »
We're all human.  It was an honest mistake, but ya, he clearly should have paid a little more attention to the unit boundaries.  He's a super guy and wouldn't even think of pushing the envelope on anything like that.  He called it in, lost his goat and is waiting for the court stuff.  Tough lump to take, but that's life sometimes.

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
We're all human.  It was an honest mistake, but ya, he clearly should have paid a little more attention to the unit boundaries.  He's a super guy and wouldn't even think of pushing the envelope on anything like that.  He called it in, lost his goat and is waiting for the court stuff.  Tough lump to take, but that's life sometimes.

Sounds like a standup guy if he called it in himself. Good to hear. That sucks and I'm sure he'll be kicking himself for that for a long time.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »

Sounds like a standup guy if he called it in himself. Good to hear. That sucks and I'm sure he'll be kicking himself for that for a long time.

:yeah:  Lots of integrity being shown by him, best of luck that the courts will see that as well.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »

Well...if there is any precedent set by the guys who poached all of those elk, deer, cougar, bear and bobcats in SW Wa, this guy will get a $5 fine, 2 hours community service and a high five as he leaves the courtroom...

:yeah:  Lots of integrity being shown by him, best of luck that the courts will see that as well.
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »
Dang. Good to know he did the right thing.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
Unfortunate, indeed.

I'll admit that on multiple occasions I've been uncertain what GMU I was actually in.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »
Depending on his court outcome this sucks for an honest guy when you put his actions next to the POACHING reichert pos. In that comparison makes a guy think maybe with this OIL, he should of just taken it home and rolled the dice.   :stirthepot:
Nice guys finish last   :yike:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:06:29 PM by mfswallace »

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
Depending on his court outcome this sucks for an honest guy when you put his actions next to the POACHING reichert pos. In that comparison makes a guy think maybe with this OIL, he should of just taken it home and rolled the dice.   :stirthepot:
Nice guys finish last   :yike:
:yeah:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 06:49:18 PM »
Tough deal. I can’t imagine going through all the excitement, planning, hard work and the feeling you get when you kill your goat only to then find out you inadvertently broke the law, lost your goat, your rifle, criminal charges... oh my. I just can’t imagine.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
Oh man what a hard lesson to learn.  At least he has the memories of the hunt.  It will always be a great hunting story even if he did screw up.  People make mistakes and we have to live with our mistakes.  I personally think the research and scouting of having a special permit are half the fun.  The other half is getting to hunt that permit in different circumstances then you usually get to hunt(different dates, areas, animals).  Harvesting a animal is a small portion of the adventure in my opinion. Hopefully he takes away a bunch of memories even though he will not have a mount on the wall.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
Considering that one of the guys from the WA/OR poaching ring only got a $500 fine. This guy should get a handshake and a thank you for self reporting  :twocents:

Bummer deal all around though.

Offline MuleDeerCrazy

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 07:01:51 AM »
Ya, he was pretty down on himself for quite a while.  Talked with an arresting officer one time and they said they have people they know poach 20 elk a year and can't seem to be in the right place at the right time to bust them and it really sucked to right up the guy who made an honest mistake and turned himself in.  But so is life I guess... you win some and you lose some!

Offline hhack

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »
I can't think of anything less intelligent than self reporting a poached mountain goat.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
I can't think of anything less intelligent than self reporting a poached mountain goat.

Not self reporting.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Online High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »

Not self reporting.
:yeah: sounds like an honest man made an honest mistake.  I hope the courts keep that in mind when deciding his punishment.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal