collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Poached Goat  (Read 30368 times)

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Poached Goat
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »
I just can see how anyone ever thought this was going to end well.

Dave, 

The man reportedly admits he made a grave mistake, the very minute he recognized that he was wrong he self reported.  Is there something you know that suggests that there was any effort to not own up to carelessness, or any effort to justify?

He screwed up and his first inclination was not to hunker down, justify, excuse, prevaricate on where the animal was taken...  etc ad infinitum?

If we take him at his word, the man had no reason to think this might not end well.  It appears he was either mistaken about where the tag was valid or where he was.  Once he became aware that he had violated he "manned up."

JD, I was having fun.  I was actually referring to the goat sous vide in the tub. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2017, 08:50:23 PM »
Besides that, many are the times when "thread jacking" was going on there have been admonitions from mods to "take it elsewhere."  I guess that only applies in certain circumstances. 

What I immediately felt when reading the OP was:  I feel his pain.  Not that I have personal experience, I don't need to.  But everything in the public record suggests that this was a colossal screw up.  Everything in the public record also suggests that it is far more unlikely than not to ever occur in the future.  He screwed up, that does not mean he is a "screw up."  What if he is a member here?  Any entertainment value this incident had (given what we "know") is totally lost on me. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
Besides that, many are the times when "thread jacking" was going on there have been admonitions from mods to "take it elsewhere."  I guess that only applies in certain circumstances. 

What I immediately felt when reading the OP was:  I feel his pain.  Not that I have personal experience, I don't need to.  But everything in the public record suggests that this was a colossal screw up.  Everything in the public record also suggests that it is far more unlikely than not to ever occur in the future.  He screwed up, that does not mean he is a "screw up."  What if he is a member here?  Any entertainment value this incident had (given what we "know") is totally lost on me.

congratulations, you've answered your own question.  Do I care if someone "jacks" a thread that's already its course?  It depends  :tung:

....and here I raise up the BS flag.  You saw an opportunity to bring up Bullwinkle so drummed up some fake outrage, guilt tripped everyone having fun in the thread and made another thread about what you think. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »
I just can see how anyone ever thought this was going to end well.

Dave, 

The man reportedly admits he made a grave mistake, the very minute he recognized that he was wrong he self reported.  Is there something you know that suggests that there was any effort to not own up to carelessness, or any effort to justify?

He screwed up and his first inclination was not to hunker down, justify, excuse, prevaricate on where the animal was taken...  etc ad infinitum?

If we take him at his word, the man had no reason to think this might not end well.  It appears he was either mistaken about where the tag was valid or where he was.  Once he became aware that he had violated he "manned up."

JD, I was having fun.  I was actually referring to the goat sous vide in the tub.

I know Dave. 

What I personally object to is the attempt to is that there was a bald faced attempt to use this unfortunate incident to snipe at other members who would not back down in the face of falsehoods and insisted that in their honest opinion, if justice was too be done, in the referenced incident that charges must be pursued.

Make no mistake about it:  Charges and a likely plea will result here.  Rightfully so IMHO.     

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2017, 09:09:17 PM »
What are you saying JD? I can't make heads or tails of it  :dunno:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2017, 09:11:21 PM »
Where is this bald faced attempt to snipe someone JD???

From what I see, nobody was going after the guy and nobody was trying to snipe someone who wouldn't back down. 

Many of us said straight out that he's a stand up guy. 

Many of us have admitted our own shortcomings. 

The guy displayed better ethics than many - I'd like to think I'd do the same.   I'd buy him a beer.   

But come on.......   the El whappo st Helens Bunny goat iss pure gold. 

Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »
Well that was a perfectly good derail derailed. JD, maybe early on there was some jabs thrown or attempts made to admonish the guy, but those are long since gone. We're just blowing off steam and having fun now. Sorry if it offended you.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »

congratulations, you've answered your own question.  Do I care if someone "jacks" a thread that's already its course?  It depends  :tung:

....and here I raise up the BS flag.  You saw an opportunity to bring up Bullwinkle so drummed up some fake outrage, guilt tripped everyone having fun in the thread and made another thread about what you think.

It was not I who attempted to "bring up Bullwinkle."

That was a bald faced attempt to bring derision on members who stuck to facts when posting fact and also shared their opinions in a case that had widespread interest. 

It impressed me as a bald faced attempt to marginalize those members and sportsmen at large who kept WDFW and Kittitas County aware that this case was important to them.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »

It was not I who attempted to "bring up Bullwinkle."

That was a bald faced attempt to bring derision on members who stuck to facts when posting fact and also shared their opinions in a case that had widespread interest. 

It impressed me as a bald faced attempt to marginalize those members and sportsmen at large who kept WDFW and Kittitas County aware that this case was important to them.

JD DUDE you need to take a self imposed HW break before you snap, your way to serious about yourself, and this stuff.

Come back after the New Year start fresh my pal you deserve it.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
JD, nobody that has been having fun on this thread has speculated about charges, guilt, or anything since this thread was "jacked".  Nobody has even mentioned the hunter or the incident in several pages.  You are the one who is trying to further talk about this and somehow connecting it to the Reichert case, which quite frankly, comes across as continued sour grapes. 

Clearly, the folks having fun on this thread have realized that there is very little information about this case available, nothing "new" being presented, there is no controversial speculation and innuendo, and the original topic is no longer the subject.  Everyone realizes the guy turned himself in, and the system will do what it will do.  The discussion on this goat is clearly done, and not at all related to the Reichert fiasco. 

Is having fun like this "Thread Jacking"?  Depends on your perspective.  For me, the discussion on the incident is done (unless someone want's to speculate).  I'm glad to see some folks having some innocent fun and to NOT see this thread devolve into Native Bashing, wolf discussions, or people complaining about the WDFW without offering any solutions, which I WOULD consider "thread jacking". 

If there is info to add about the case, go ahead, anyone is free to comment, but bringing Reichert into this discussion is just showing how you can't let it go. 

Guess what?  It's done.  Nobody cares anymore, about Reichert or your claims about what you knew, when you knew it, and how right you (always) are. 

As far as your soft side of being here for a hunter in distress and feeling alone after he turned himself in, give me a break.  If you feel that bad for the guy, post your own thread saying "If you are the hunter that shot the goat in the wrong unit, I'm here for you.  PM me."  If you think we are making fun of HIM, well you are just dead wrong.

Personally, I'm tired of JD taking the fun out of everything, so I'm going to do something I've not done before.  Goodbye JD.  I will not have to read your drivel anymore. 

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2017, 09:34:42 PM »
I never saw Bullwinkle even remotely referenced until you brought it up.   

Did I miss something?
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2017, 09:43:40 PM »
Well that was a perfectly good derail derailed. JD, maybe early on there was some jabs thrown or attempts made to admonish the guy, but those are long since gone. We're just blowing off steam and having fun now. Sorry if it offended you.

This cannot be the subject of humor to the individual involved.  What if it was you?  What if after you were aware "this is serious," I totally screwed up, you had done everything right?

Where is thew humor in that?  How can individuals you had formed a connection to through this site use my predicament as a springboard into humor instead of focusing on how to best support a fellow member who screwed up, if in fact the individual is a member?     

Put yourself in another member's shoes, if they are a member.  They might just come here to see how others in this community react. 

My God man, can you imagine how it must feel to know that what you face is serious and others think it is a joking matter? 

How would it feel to know that you have to go to work every day and not be looking forward to hunting season for a few years?  How would you get by not thinking about how to do it better next October?  How would you feel knowing that you screwed up your once in a lifetime hunt? 

It incident just isn't the least bit humerous to me. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

*If*and that's a big *if*....the guy was a HW member and wanted to make a public apology, have his Oprah moment on HW, nothing is stopping him. 
A lot of folks already said he did the right thing self reporting and gave him kudo's for that. 

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2017, 06:14:32 AM »
Wow, I guess I logged off HuntWA to get the kiddos to bed a little too early last night.

So, here’s my opinions:

The OP seemed like it was trying to stir up drama about the actual goat incident (I won’t call it a poaching) from the beginning.

Then a couple guys showed up that, from what I can gather, know the hunter.

It sounds like a mistake to me (why else would he self-report?).

If I was the hunter in question and came across this thread, I would see that guys were done talking about me a week ago, and the only argument was about whether or not I should have self-reported. Most guys posted saying they felt sorry for me, acknowledged the screw-up, but still respected me. Then, the thread got derailed so far from the goat incident that people were posting pictures of a very rare El Whoppo St Helens Bunny Goat.

My opinion in case it wasn’t clear above....the goat hunter messed up by not knowing he was outside his hunt boundary (we as hunters need to know this). He owned up to his mistake, and will have to deal with whatever consequences he ultimately faces. I hope he doesn’t get nailed to the wall, and I would have no problem sharing a beer with the person.

And here’s a fact:

Nobody mentioned Bullwinkle, Reichert, or Kittitas County until you showed up JD.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Wow, I guess I logged off HuntWA to get the kiddos to bed a little too early last night.

So, here’s my opinions:

The OP seemed like it was trying to stir up drama about the actual goat incident (I won’t call it a poaching) from the beginning.

Then a couple guys showed up that, from what I can gather, know the hunter.

It sounds like a mistake to me (why else would he self-report?).

If I was the hunter in question and came across this thread, I would see that guys were done talking about me a week ago, and the only argument was about whether or not I should have self-reported. Most guys posted saying they felt sorry for me, acknowledged the screw-up, but still respected me. Then, the thread got derailed so far from the goat incident that people were posting pictures of a very rare El Whoppo St Helens Bunny Goat.

My opinion in case it wasn’t clear above....the goat hunter messed up by not knowing he was outside his hunt boundary (we as hunters need to know this). He owned up to his mistake, and will have to deal with whatever consequences he ultimately faces. I hope he doesn’t get nailed to the wall, and I would have no problem sharing a beer with the person.

And here’s a fact:

Nobody mentioned Bullwinkle, Reichert, or Kittitas County until you showed up JD.

Posts were deleted.  I have said all I am going to on this subject. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]