collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Duck Decoys - What are your favorites?  (Read 8138 times)

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Duck Decoys - What are your favorites?
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:34:52 PM »
I'm just getting back into duck hunting, after about 20 years. The decoys available now I'm not familiar with, and want to pick up a dozen or two to mix in with my old decoys. Just wondering what the favorites are now? I'd rather not buy the most expensive, would prefer something in the middle. Just looking at Sportsman's Warehouse online I see wide range of prices.

Per dozen, it looks like this:

Avian X-  $160
Higdon-  $120
Tanglefree- $47
Final Approach- $60

So, unless I can get some good advice from experienced duck hunters, I'll probably go with the Final Approach decoys for $60/dozen. The cheapest decoys, the Tanglefree brand, have quite a few poor reviews on the SW site. I do want decoys that will last more than one season. Has anyone used the Final Approach decoys? Or what about the higher priced brands, are they really worth the extra money? Or any others that I didn't list that I should consider?

Offline Relish the Journey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Duck Decoys - What are your favorites?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
We use the avian x decoys.  There tough, paint last well and there lighter than most decoys if your packing them far.  Great looking as well. 

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »
Thanks. I really like the looks of the Avian x decoys, it's just the price I didn't like. But if they hold up better than others it's probably worth it. Plus like you said, if they're lighter that's a definite advantage for us since we're hunting public land and often will need to pack them in a long ways.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 05:39:52 PM »
The ones in front of me....   :chuckle:

I saw these the other day, they look interesting, a little spendy IMO though.

https://www.amazon.com/FUD-Mallard-Revolutionary-Realistic-Foldable/dp/B06ZYZXYL8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512956322&sr=8-4&keywords=fud+decoy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:07:34 PM by lokidog »

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Parkern

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
Take a gander at the Dakota Decoys X-Treme Fully Flocked Mallards, they look great, $89 for 6,  flocking has held up very well. They have great movement in water with current. This is the second year of hunting these every weekend and have had no complaints. Shot a lot of ducks over them. IMO is worth it to pay a bit more for some flocked decoys, they look 90 times better than cheap plastic decoys and take care of them and they will last awhile. Flocked decoys will always pull a lot more birds as well.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
Thanks, so let me ask this. What would pull more birds in- 2 dozen high quality, flocked decoys, or 6 dozen, cheap plastic decoys? Just not sure how many of the good ones I can afford. Another question, are there any issues with mixing really nice decoys with mediocre to poor decoys? Or in other words, is it better to use nothing but flocked decoys?

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
If you are driving by at 20+ miles an hour, are you going to notice detailed feather pattern or an outline with basic colors?  I think these ultra painted decoys are pretty, but much more than needed.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
Thanks, so let me ask this. What would pull more birds in- 2 dozen high quality, flocked decoys, or 6 dozen, cheap plastic decoys? Just not sure how many of the good ones I can afford. Another question, are there any issues with mixing really nice decoys with mediocre to poor decoys? Or in other words, is it better to use nothing but flocked decoys?

This is exactly what I do. Put my couple dozen nice decoys closest to the kill hole or on the jerk string, then scatter the rest of the more mediocre ones on the edge of the spread, amongst any weeds/cattails, and away from where the birds will be landing. Good way to maximize your bucks. Invest in a flappy duck and jerk cord and your spread will start to look really nice really quick.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/decoys/duck-decoys/floating-ducks-decoys/lucky-duck-deception-series-6-pack-mallards.html

Check these out ^^^^^^^

I like how packabke those are. A couple dozen would be nice to have especially for those long walks and even more so if you are also carrying a layout blind.

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 08:34:12 PM »
I just bought a dozen off the tangle free full flocked migration decoys. Their nice, and foam filled. I like them compared to the all plastic "cheaper" decoy
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »
Find where the birds want to be, add movement to spread and the most important is get concealed.  You can shoot birds over $25 a dozen decoys.  The Avian X look good, but they are marketed to the hunter, not the duck.  I have some and the birds decoy no different to those vs the hot buys.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/decoys/duck-decoys/floating-ducks-decoys/lucky-duck-deception-series-6-pack-mallards.html

Check these out ^^^^^^^

I like how packabke those are. A couple dozen would be nice to have especially for those long walks and even more so if you are also carrying a layout blind.

They look great when it is 60+ degrees outside. Maybe they've change plastic, but when I bought some similar in the 90's, they didn't work so well. The inflatable rubber ones I have from the 50's are better, but they are heavier.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
I upgraded both my floaters and field with a dozen each of the Avian-X.  So far, they have been great to hunt with.

When I am only taking in a dozen of one or the other or both, they go with me.  The rare times I need (or want to carry) more, I have some cheapies that I fill out the spread with.  It seems the best of both worlds.

I would buy the best you can justify and afford and take care of them.  That said, I can't say with 100% certainty that it matters but in my mind when you aren't exactly where they want to be it may help just a bit.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »
Being where the ducks want to be isn't usually an option for me. I can only hunt the few spots that I have access to (public land). So I guess what I'm wanting to do is to make the ducks want to be where I am, wherever that may be. I know it's not ideal but I guess that's why I'm hoping to get more, and better, decoys.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]