collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Battery Jump Starters to power Mini Koto motors.  (Read 1807 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Battery Jump Starters to power Mini Koto motors.
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »
Anyone used a Battery Jump Starter to power a Mini Koto?

Thinking about using one to power my kayak.
Lots of YouTube videos ,but I have questions if anyone has done this.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
Re: Battery Jump Starters to power Mini Koto motors.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure they're not a deep cycle battery. They're made for short quick starting bursts. Probably work to some extent but definitely not Ideal.

Offline Reidus

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »
google "small deep cycle battery". All kinds of options. Compare amp hours to full size ones and you can probably guessitmate battery life.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 11:13:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure they're not a deep cycle battery. They're made for short quick starting bursts. Probably work to some extent but definitely not Ideal.

Yeah, but I don't think I would be running down dead. 10 min run to end of the lake and back end of day. I could paddle, just thought would be easier in the wind.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 11:20:05 PM »
google "small deep cycle battery". All kinds of options. Compare amp hours to full size ones and you can probably guessitmate battery life.

I did google them. I am trying to save on weight. Even the small ones weight is 20 lbs.
Been running regular car batteries for years in my aluminum 12 ft boat with no problem. But only fishing and I don't troll so just in and out.

If I used the Jump Starter ,I was wondering if I had to protect the cable connections in any way.
One guy on you tube put a 12 volt plug on is motor and just plugged into the 12 volt outlet of the Jump Starter.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
I use to take the battery out of my truck to run my 12 Ft Livingston with a 27lb Minkota. I could troll for about 4-5 hours until the battery would serious draining. Then I would head back to the truck and drop it back in, and start right up.
Did that for many years before I got a "deep cycle" just for trolling.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
For your described use it should work fine i would think, just make sure it is a live booster when on. We have a few that are smart boosters and only go live when hooked up to a battery with over 5 volts still in it, they do have an over ride feature though so might work?

If it does not work return it?
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »

I did google them. I am trying to save on weight. Even the small ones weight is 20 lbs.
Been running regular car batteries for years in my aluminum 12 ft boat with no problem. But only fishing and I don't troll so just in and out.

If I used the Jump Starter ,I was wondering if I had to protect the cable connections in any way.
One guy on you tube put a 12 volt plug on is motor and just plugged into the 12 volt outlet of the Jump Starter.

The amperage draw will be above what the 12v plugs are designed to pass, could lead to issues and lower performance. I would go with something closer to whats in the link here, sized for whatever size cable you will be using. I have used bigger verisons of these on my winches, and made jumper cables with these on one end so I don't have to pop my hood to jump someone, and my cables are useless to most people. ( stops friends from "borrowing" them)

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Connect-Disconnect-Connector-Recovery/dp/B01KHQR0K4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513104346&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=forkift+connection

for a quick 10 min run I think you'll be ok with most battery jump starters, though using them in this fashion will limit the life of them for sure. I have seen small 12v deep cycle batteries for motorcycle use in the past, that may be a better option for longevity, though more expensive.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]