collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New loading bench build.  (Read 2312 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
New loading bench build.
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »
Finally getting somewhat settled into the new house, and had a free day to myself, so I started my new loading bench/gun room.

First time doing anything like this with wood. My experiences so far have been cobbled together things like chicken coops and firework stands lol

I've got a inline fabrication mount on the way, with played for my square deal b, and a old Pacific tool 007. Eventually I may end up with another progressive press here at the house, though the Dillion 450, 550 and 650 at my dad's house will probably service any bulk rifle ammo I need to load (5.56 mostly). I'm still deciding if I want to get the mount plate for my mec, never used it, and don't shoot enough shotgun to know if I'd capitalize on the cost and time required.

Rest of the room will have my gun cabinet, another work bench from harbor freight for brass prep and gun maintenance, a couch and my TV. Hoping to have it all wrapped up next weekend or so.

Bench is framed with2x4's, 3 sides have ledger boards into studs. Work surface is 3/4" birch ply doubled  up, It's rock solid. Originally wanted more shelves up top, but ran short on materials, and didn't want to buy another sheet very bad. I'm gonna replace the cabinet drawers and doors with the scraps of birch I have so they match the rest of the bench this weekend I think.

Anyways, just wanted to show off my new digs  :IBCOOL:

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: New loading bench build.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
nice start.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
Looks pretty good.  :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
Nice work, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline TRD1911

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
That looks great!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »
Wow, nice

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
thanks guys!

So I need ideas now!

The exposed 2x4 framing, I want to do something with. should I paint, seal up with varathane like the top and trim, or just leave it?

Next part, I will have roughly 1/2 of this bench left open, for component lay out, ammo boxes etc. I am thinking this space would be handy to have for brass prep at times. but do not want to mount stuff permanently, there also is no easy way to clamp onto the edge of the table with the trim in the way to the front, but the edge is exposed on the far left of the table.

What im thinking now, is to use a scrap piece of the 3/4' birch ply to mount my forstner case trimmer, and my rcbs priming tool. and either clamp it on the edge ( means I have to leave edge un finished), or come up with some other way to mount.
could I maybe drill holes through the bench top that match the new mount for the tools, and use dowels of some sort to pin the mount down as I need it?
I could build another free standing box like what my powder measures are on as well, but thought that might move around to much and be a general pain. Any ideas here would be helpful.

Next, I need more light, the small under cabinet light I had laying around isn't sufficient. is to much light a bad thing here? I was thinking a 48' dual t5 garage light may fit under the upper shelf, and give me more then enough light, but I don't know if thatll be to much and strain my eyes as I work at the bench extended times.

Any other "ah-ha" tricks you may have picked up in the past I would love to hear as well! this is my first serious bench dedicated to loading!

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »
thanks guys!

So I need ideas now!

The exposed 2x4 framing, I want to do something with. should I paint, seal up with varathane like the top and trim, or just leave it?

Next part, I will have roughly 1/2 of this bench left open, for component lay out, ammo boxes etc. I am thinking this space would be handy to have for brass prep at times. but do not want to mount stuff permanently, there also is no easy way to clamp onto the edge of the table with the trim in the way to the front, but the edge is exposed on the far left of the table.

What im thinking now, is to use a scrap piece of the 3/4' birch ply to mount my forstner case trimmer, and my rcbs priming tool. and either clamp it on the edge ( means I have to leave edge un finished), or come up with some other way to mount.
could I maybe drill holes through the bench top that match the new mount for the tools, and use dowels of some sort to pin the mount down as I need it?
I could build another free standing box like what my powder measures are on as well, but thought that might move around to much and be a general pain. Any ideas here would be helpful.

Next, I need more light, the small under cabinet light I had laying around isn't sufficient. is to much light a bad thing here? I was thinking a 48' dual t5 garage light may fit under the upper shelf, and give me more then enough light, but I don't know if thatll be to much and strain my eyes as I work at the bench extended times.

Any other "ah-ha" tricks you may have picked up in the past I would love to hear as well! this is my first serious bench dedicated to loading!

This is what I did.

I mounted everything to steel plates that are all identical, then mounted studs to the bottom of the plates in an identical pattern. I drilled holes in the bench that accept the studs and are secured from the bottom with wing nuts (although I rarely need to secure them).  Being able to have a gun vise, that's removable, is really handy, and having everything mount the same is nice.  I have multiple holes so I can move stuff around the bench in various patterns if I need 2 or more things at the same time.  When nothing is mounted I lay a thin rubber mat down to keep the holes clear.  The holes I drilled happen to be the perfect size for getting primers stuck in.  :bash:

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »
I was really hoping to not have to secure them, as that would mean opening the drawer and trying to bend my arm/wrist around to get to the bottom of the work surface.

in reality it may not even be needed, I am planning on picking up a 48" work bench from harbor freight soon, that has a couple drawers, and a peg board backing with an overhead light. it will be in the same room as this bench is, but will be used for gun maintenance type stuff, and as a work bench for me and the kid to work on our new rc crawlers I got us for Christmas. it would probably be just as easy to do all brass prep work on that bench. at least that way my loading bench would stay cleaner lol.

good call about the holes and primers, it would frustrate me to no end always cleaning primers out of the drawers under where stuff would mount!

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:06:53 PM »
Gog the room 90% done! Still want a utility bench between the cabinet snd door for cleaning and brass prep, and need to mount the brackets to hold the other presses when not in use, get the rest of the tools set on the pegboard, etc.

The inline fab press mount is worth every penny, I love it.

Turned out just like I was hoping!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 09:20:46 PM »
 :tup:

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 09:27:52 PM »

think you should throw a man party :chuckle:

looks good

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 09:32:24 PM »

think you should throw a man party :chuckle:

looks good

That just sounds so incredibly wrong.....
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 03:48:19 AM »
Nice job on the bench and the cave!
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

* Advertisement