collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Educate me on bottom fishing please  (Read 4201 times)

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Educate me on bottom fishing please
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Whatever you decide to do just make sure to check reviews and make sure that the captains are good. couple years back I talked my family into going on a charter out of west port.. it was cheap and supposed to be rockfish, lingcod, and salmon.. all we did was rockfish and then some salmon fishing. On top of that the guy kept turning the boat sideways into the rollers. Needless to say we had several of us pitching over the side. I have been 30 miles off shore on smaller boats halibut fishing off of Vancouver Island and NEVER got sick but with that guy I ended up chumming the water. Hell my father who has done a LOT more offshore fishing than myself and was in the Navy during Vietnam ended up puking and he has an iron gut! I myself might hit the suggested guide in Neah Bay up for a lingcod/rockfish trip! Good luck!

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
Before the trip see your doc & get a prescription for transderm scop and sea sickness won't be a problem.

Offline Come Get Some

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 06:25:10 AM »
I also run bottom fishing trips out of Lapush from March until June. We fish ,Halibut, Lingcod, Rockfish. I have a 41' boat, Very comfortable and dry. Lots of good opportunities for good water conditions. I have taken many young kids out as small as 4-5.
  EPIC-fishing.com. I do agree with the smaller six pack option. Alot more fun. Not a cattle boat.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »
MHWASH,

One of my good friends runs a charter out of Neah Bay. He specializes in bottom fishing and runs trips in 4b all year. If I were you I would book one of his shallow water lingcod or 4b rockfish trips. 4A is the ocean out of Neah Bay and 4B is the straits, fishing in the straits you typically can have better weather and currently the fishing is phenomenal and is open all year although its currently only open for black rockfish. His bottom fish trips on the ocean run from April - whenever lingcod closes but the shallow water trips the runs are short and fishing is hot, if you go when deepwater lingcod is open there is a spot that is close yet awesome and is by far my favorite spot to fish lingcod.

Neah Bay may be a longer drive but has benefits. 1. There is no bar to cross. 2. The straits are protected and fishing is great. 3. Tom's boat is a 6-pac boat so your experience is different. 4. He is used to taking kids, if the weather cooperates we will take a 3 and 5 year old out this weekend. 5. He is an awesome captain, about 80% of his customers are returning customers, that says a lot. 6. He likes taking 3-5 people if your booking as a group of 4 you can have the whole boat to your group.

Either way, that's my plug. I'm sure others on this site have had great experiences with him.

Here are his two websites he runs the boat, his wife runs the inn. I believe there is a discount if you get a room and a trip.
http://excelfishingcharters.com/
http://www.theinnatneahbay.com/

I agree with most of this.  I would just caution anyone going out during hali season at Neah Bay to check the weather.  Some of the roughest seas I have fished in have been at Neah Bay. Ive never tossed my cookies, but Neah Bay had me on that fine line.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
Before the trip see your doc & get a prescription for transderm scop and sea sickness won't be a problem.
Ive tried every seasick remedy, the only thing that has worked for me is zofran, a prescription.  But even in very rough water I still got sick, but it works 90% of the time.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
Ive tried every seasick remedy, the only thing that has worked for me is zofran, a prescription.  But even in very rough water I still got sick, but it works 90% of the time.

People are often afraid to go out with a full stomach, from my experience, it is better to have food in there.  And, for me, when I have felt like crap, I just take a nap and feel much better when waking up.  I think sleep allows your brain/ears to equalize. I was pretty much seasick for two months once on a 75 foot boat and this is what helped me get through it.  Sleep, eat, slowly feel like crap, nap, eat, slowly feel like crap, nap eat, slowly feel like crap... repeat.

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
MHWASH,

One of my good friends runs a charter out of Neah Bay. He specializes in bottom fishing and runs trips in 4b all year. If I were you I would book one of his shallow water lingcod or 4b rockfish trips. 4A is the ocean out of Neah Bay and 4B is the straits, fishing in the straits you typically can have better weather and currently the fishing is phenomenal and is open all year although its currently only open for black rockfish. His bottom fish trips on the ocean run from April - whenever lingcod closes but the shallow water trips the runs are short and fishing is hot, if you go when deepwater lingcod is open there is a spot that is close yet awesome and is by far my favorite spot to fish lingcod.

Neah Bay may be a longer drive but has benefits. 1. There is no bar to cross. 2. The straits are protected and fishing is great. 3. Tom's boat is a 6-pac boat so your experience is different. 4. He is used to taking kids, if the weather cooperates we will take a 3 and 5 year old out this weekend. 5. He is an awesome captain, about 80% of his customers are returning customers, that says a lot. 6. He likes taking 3-5 people if your booking as a group of 4 you can have the whole boat to your group.

Either way, that's my plug. I'm sure others on this site have had great experiences with him.

Here are his two websites he runs the boat, his wife runs the inn. I believe there is a discount if you get a room and a trip.
http://excelfishingcharters.com/
http://www.theinnatneahbay.com/

I agree with most of this.  I would just caution anyone going out during hali season at Neah Bay to check the weather.  Some of the roughest seas I have fished in have been at Neah Bay. Ive never tossed my cookies, but Neah Bay had me on that fine line.
You must have had bad weather out of Neah Bay because I think it is one of the friendlier ports for those with motion sickness. Ilwaco tops my 'make you toss your cookies' list.
Small boat nearshore ling and bottom fish July-August and you have a pretty good chance at decent weather.
A couple other awesome small boat charters to check out are Jambo Sport Fishing out of Neah Bay and Todd's Extreme Fishing out of everywhere (he moves around depending on fish).
I have been on the ocean since I was a toddler and still get sick sometimes. Bring lots of snacks. Water, crackers, sandwiches, sports drinks, pretzels .... Anything that is easy on the stomach. If anyone gets sick the worst thing to do is not eat. Keeping eating or at least drink water. Catching fish helps too!
Have fun!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 06:50:23 AM »
The boys were very excited Christmas morning when we told them what we had planned. Nothing is set in stone yet. I really appreciate all the suggestions/advice. We will definitely not be halibut fishing.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]