collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Guy Made $84K fishing in 5 months  (Read 7315 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: The Guy Made $84K fishing in 5 months
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:35:39 PM »
That would be fun.  I wonder if my boss (and my wife too) would let me quit my job during squawfish season?  :)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »
I talked to the guys promoting it at the outdoor show in Portland one year. They said there went a lot of guys that make big $ like that, but a bunch that essentially pay for all thier fuel to be on the water. Probably a good gig for a retired guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »
Let's get a program like this rolling for wolves!

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »

Idaho has one similar for wolves.. You wa guys are out i of luck.  Crazy they made that much for that in such a short amount of time.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »

The fine is $5K and the reward is $10K. Who's good at math here?  :chuckle: And besides, judges in WA don't prosecute wildlife crime at anywhere near full penalty. Sounds like a profitable business. :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »
Last year the top earner was $114k.

Offline HornHoarder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »
It's a ton of fun, but from experience, no easy money. I've spent the last 6-7 summers learning the ropes, and haven't come anywhere close to those numbers. About 9k was my best year.

Those anglers that make the top 20 list have years of experience, and put in extreme effort and time.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
It's a ton of fun, but from experience, no easy money. I've spent the last 6-7 summers learning the ropes, and haven't come anywhere close to those numbers. About 9k was my best year.

Those anglers that make the top 20 list have years of experience, and put in extreme effort and time.
So would you say that the 9K covered your expenses? Was it at least a hobby that paid for itself, or close?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:17:33 PM »
I'd say yes.... That covered all my expenses and put a little in my pocket. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »
I'd say yes.... That covered all my expenses and put a little in my pocket.

:tup:  And you are helping save gamefish !   :tup:

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
There are Pro-Am bass tournaments. I say there should be the same for Pikeminnow, top 20 earners each year are Pros and the rest of up amateurs pine to fish with the top earners, to learn from them and put a few bucks in our pockets. Unlike Bass tournaments there is no 5 fish limit and all fish must be dead upon weigh in.
God Bless,
Scott

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
In 10 years it will be a pike fishery.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »
I could see that being fun for a while and then becoming a drag.  There are probably guys that really live to catch them, but I wouldn't want to have to go fishing every day and have the pressure of needing to catch a ton to put food on the table.  When I was in college, I talked to a guy that owned a tackle shop about tying some flies for him and his advice was that if I enjoy tying flies not to do it commercially as 99% of the people that make the switch end up hating to tie flies.

Fishing for recreation and fishing for a living are probably two very different things.

I am glad they are killing all those fish and hope more join their ranks.  I usually hit it a few times a year and they certainly aren't jumping on your hook everyplace you stop from my experience.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
I could see that being fun for a while and then becoming a drag.  There are probably guys that really live to catch them, but I wouldn't want to have to go fishing every day and have the pressure of needing to catch a ton to put food on the table.  When I was in college, I talked to a guy that owned a tackle shop about tying some flies for him and his advice was that if I enjoy tying flies not to do it commercially as 99% of the people that make the switch end up hating to tie flies.

Fishing for recreation and fishing for a living are probably two very different things.

I am glad they are killing all those fish and hope more join their ranks.  I usually hit it a few times a year and they certainly aren't jumping on your hook everyplace you stop from my experience.

With 7 months off per year? It wouldn't be that much of a drag.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »
I wish they would extend that program to other rivers.  Hell, I could make a good living just catching squawfish on the Satsop, Nooch and Hump!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »
I wish they would extend that program to other rivers.  Hell, I could make a good living just catching squawfish on the Satsop, Nooch and Hump!

Careful what you wish for - it took reduced salmon smolt outmigration due to dams for this program to come about.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »

With 7 months off per year? It wouldn't be that much of a drag.

:yeah: Sounds pretty damn attractive to me!  And the tiny capital investment required to get started compared to a regular commercial fishing operation is unbelievable.

But, I know Hornhoarder goes at this hard, and someone who is thinking of doing it should heed his words. 
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

How much time do you think you spent fishing for them?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
There are Pro-Am bass tournaments. I say there should be the same for Pikeminnow, top 20 earners each year are Pros and the rest of up amateurs pine to fish with the top earners, to learn from them and put a few bucks in our pockets. Unlike Bass tournaments there is no 5 fish limit and all fish must be dead upon weigh in.

Those top 20 guys guard their hard earned secrets jealously, I'd bet 99% of them would never take on a amatuer looking to learn out for a weekend.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline bighorn1

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »
Now if they would just add sea lions to that things would get a lot better for the fish and the fisherman.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
He averaged 67 fish a day for 153 days, with the fish average worth of $8.16. That’s a lot of fishing. :yike:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »

Those top 20 guys guard their hard earned secrets jealously, I'd bet 99% of them would never take on a amatuer looking to learn out for a weekend.

I bet there are some funny stories about guys trying to get other guys secret spots.  For that kind of loot, I would imagine they go to great lengths to guard their secrets.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 10:45:39 AM »
I thinkAnnette they fish is well known, but how they fish is the trick.  I know in the tournament walleye world we often left out fake rigs for people tocatch a glimpse of, planted dubious info into the rumor mill, etc...  it was half the fun. :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
I thinkAnnette they fish is well known, but how they fish is the trick.  I know in the tournament walleye world we often left out fake rigs for people tocatch a glimpse of, planted dubious info into the rumor mill, etc...  it was half the fun. :chuckle:

The map on the web site shows were they catch them, gear is the trick to it. I wonder if they can chum for them?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »

The map on the web site shows were they catch them, gear is the trick to it. I wonder if they can chum for them?

I would guess the map shows where they reported they caught them, but that's just my guess.  I'm sure tackle and technique are also a major factor.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 05:51:02 PM »
Did you notice the last names of the top earners?
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »
Did you notice the last names of the top earners?

Where did you see the names at?

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »
I did a Sportsman Show down in the Tri-Cities a few years ago and there was a poster with top earners --names included.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 06:08:57 PM »
I did a Sportsman Show down in the Tri-Cities a few years ago and there was a poster with top earners --names included.

And the type names were?

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 06:15:41 PM »
Not a recent list, but you get the idea...

KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »

No I don’t.  :dunno:

Eastern European, or south of the border types?

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »
I'll take "Non-Hispanic surnames for $1,000 please, Alex."
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »
Do you think any of these guys run trot lines or jug lines? Illegally

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »
Years ago, mid-2000's if I recall correctly, a guy got caught catching squawfish out of season and storing them in a big net pen he had suspended in a boathouse on the river.  Another team got caught catching fish in a non-bounty area and transporting them to a pay station.

I'm sure there have been other cheaters. Some of them have been caught.   And some haven't.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »
Those the same guys fishing Lenore and Banks?  ;)

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »
Another team got caught catching fish in a non-bounty area and transporting them to a pay station.

Presumably every so many fish in the bounty area should have a tag, correct?  If so, interesting that several of them went 2500+ fish with no tags, while the one guy gets a tag every 250 fish or so. 

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »

How much time do you think you spent fishing for them?

I probably average 50-60 fishing days each year. I also try to focus on peak fishing times, like around the spawning time.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2017, 08:28:10 AM »

No I don’t.  :dunno:

Eastern European, or south of the border types?

Russians I think

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
Looks like the same last name as some of those Russians that were caught gill netting Banks Lake a few years back.  :dunno:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
Oh don't get me started on that!! :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »
Looks like the same last name as some of those Russians that were caught gill netting Banks Lake a few years back.  :dunno:

Nope

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/4-men-found-guilty-illegally-gillnetting-banks-lake/

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »

Nope

Look like Ukrainian or Russian names to me?

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »

Nope

Look like Ukrainian or Russian names to me?

Yes, but not same name.  Just like Smith is different than Jones

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Who knew?...ol Vlad Putin was infiltrating the WDFW Squawfish program as a way to test the waters for the sabotage of the 2016 presidential election!!!

Genius move comrade.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2017, 05:57:37 AM »
Just a buoy and a long line with a bunch of hooks with bait.  They kill whatever bites the hook.  Probably catch a few walleye too but they eat salmon too

Online Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2017, 07:01:27 AM »
I did this once in the mid nineties. 
I had a job lined up in the fall, and decided to quit my current job and go fishing.
I fished almost exclusively from shore a few trips in a float tube or raft.  Drove around chasing the fish, often sleeping in the car. If I had a good day, I would either stay in a motel or go home.
It was way harder than I thought.  Started hating fishing for awhile after.  Totally burned out before the season ended.  I caught 636 pikeminnow. One tagged. Only a $75 gift certificate back then. 
I’ve tried a few times since with no luck.  I think it would be a lot harder now.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand