collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recurve tips  (Read 7850 times)

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Recurve tips
« on: December 12, 2017, 04:28:16 PM »
I'm shooting a 40# recurve (for now)
I'm just starting out, don't really know much.
Any tips? Tricks?
Any input on technique

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Recurve tips
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »
I shoot a recurve as well as a compound. From your handle I'm guessing you've shot compound before.

I picked a poundage and anchor point that feels very similar to my compound since I switch back and forth a bunch. I find it to be very similar except you don't hold as long. I use my arrow tip and riser as references for aiming. I started with a finger glove but have switched to finger tab. It reduced my plucking of the string and gave a more uniform release.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
Never shot a compound
I'm at 10 yards right now, to help with learning aim, muscle memory, and consistency.
Have seen a few you tube videos and has helped a ton. Came home today and sis well just off of what I had watched today.
I do have a glove, but hope to switch to the tabs once they come in mail.

My goal is to be shooting a higher poundage and confident enough to hunt spring bear. If not a 100% confident, then I will wait and practice more

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
Visit tradbow.com
YouTube is your friend.
Also tradgang.com

Massive amounts of info.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »

Oldie but Goodie.  This is part 1.  You will see the other 3 if you watch on you tube.  Besides my Dad, I learned from Fred Bear and Howard Hill books.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »
If you could ask Santa for these, you would not be disappointed.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/masters-of-the-barebow-complete-dvd-set.html

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »
I learned lots of valuable information about shooting from Jeff Kavanagh videos. Here's an example:

Think of it like throwing a baseball. There are techniques that you can work on, there is a "form" you're striving to perfect. Working on these aspects of shooting help you hit the target, but only after hours and hours of shooting and reflection on the process. That's what makes it fun. The advantage of a traditional bow is that you can set up quickly on close-range shots, letting your instincts guide the arrow. It's very, very difficult at first, but you can continue to develop this instinct for decades to the point where....well, I'm nowhere close to this, but search Youtube to find Jeff Kavanagh shooting clay pigeons out of the sky. He bird hunts with a traditional bow!

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
Where are you located? There are many members of Traditional Bowhunters of Washington who would be glad to give you some in - person mentoring. I’m one of them.... in Gig Harbor. Check the TBW fb page to contact members.

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
I learned lots of valuable information about shooting from Jeff Kavanagh videos. Here's an example:

Think of it like throwing a baseball. There are techniques that you can work on, there is a "form" you're striving to perfect. Working on these aspects of shooting help you hit the target, but only after hours and hours of shooting and reflection on the process. That's what makes it fun. The advantage of a traditional bow is that you can set up quickly on close-range shots, letting your instincts guide the arrow. It's very, very difficult at first, but you can continue to develop this instinct for decades to the point where....well, I'm nowhere close to this, but search Youtube to find Jeff Kavanagh shooting clay pigeons out of the sky. He bird hunts with a traditional bow!

Wow! Thanks for sharing that video.

I literally saw myself in that video of the guy standing on his front foot in the wrong stance. Thats exactly what I do(I think) and might explain my inconsistency. There is probably 2 reasons I developed that stance. First, I learned how to shoot using too heavy of a bow and second and to a much lesser degree, that hunched/leaning forward stance to me feels like the follow thru when you throw a baseball/football when your arm is coming across your body. To me, shooting my recurve is like any other athletic movement which you develop naturally.

I havnt watched much if any vids about proper technique, rather relying on what "feels right". After watching that video I'm eager to have my wife take some pictures of me in my stance so I can analyze.

Thanks again. :)

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »
Cant that sucker about 45 degrees  Fred Bear style (Google a pic of him at full draw). Keeps the arrow on the shelf

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »
Cant that sucker about 45 degrees  Fred Bear style (Google a pic of him at full draw). Keeps the arrow on the shelf

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
I try to slant bow a bit, but it just don't feel right. I shoot better almost up and down. But will practice once I jet a  routine down

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 05:52:27 PM »
Never have watched a single how to... just shot shot and shot some more.  Pretty soon it becomes as natural as chewing. You don’t even think about it.

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »
Never have watched a single how to... just shot shot and shot some more. Pretty soon it becomes as natural as chewing. You don’t even think about it.

Boneaddict, I'm trying to get to that level...but I didn't start until I was 48, so I gobble up as much "coaching" as I can get, hoping to develop good habits. I have days shooting where I feel like I can't miss, I'm not even thinking about the shot cycle. Then I'll have crappy days where I'm trying to remember what I was doing right, when everything was going right.

I agree with what you're saying, Boneaddict. Sandberm, just keep shooting, eventually your mind and body know what to do. Have fun...there is something mystical and entertaining about learning to shoot a recurve bow, a wrist rocket, a basketball, or even throwing a rock at a beer can.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
Never have watched a single how to... just shot shot and shot some more.  Pretty soon it becomes as natural as chewing. You don’t even think about it.
:yeah: Just get out there and start shooting. Think the traditional boys are having a big fun shoot up north of Moses this Spring which you (OP) would benefit from if ya happen to be in the area (was posted on a different thread).

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]